Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3542 3543 [3544] 3545 3546 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4151786 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #53145 on: July 19, 2024, 02:21:51 pm »

Biden's campaign has, repeatedly, stated they're staying in, yeah. Biden has, Harris has, staffers have, there has been approximately zero ambiguity on that one. If he did drop out, pretty much literally the only option is Harris; the basic logistics of putting up anyone else as candidate at this point would mean you might as well just not goddamn run.

There's hollering in the media about something happening this weekend, from what I've noticed, but at this point my old comment of "Fuck the Fourth Estate" is rolling in real damn hard; I would trust the media on just about bloody anything at this point roughly as far as I could throw trump's fat ass (i.e. not).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 02:23:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53146 on: July 19, 2024, 02:47:12 pm »

What about the california governor? Gov Newsom? He is pretty recognized, young, and well liked...at least in california. Granted can't say outside california...

Could be like the florida governor (I'm terrible with names), where he is really only liked in his home state.

Michelle Obama is well liked and a sure fire winner too, but someone posted (pretty sure in this thread) that they thought she wouldn't want the position.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53147 on: July 19, 2024, 02:50:31 pm »

A popular out of left field candidate like MO would be kinda fire.

People would scamper at the idea of Obama being back in the house, and it would solidify both.  And take the everloving piss out of Trump's sails

Imagine a man like him not being the center of attention.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53148 on: July 19, 2024, 02:53:34 pm »

There's no other actual proposition at the moment, tbh. The options being floated with any seriousness are "Biden", "Harris", and "Fuckall".

Regardless, when I say the basic logistics, I mean the basic logistics. A crippling amount of the democratic war chest for the campaign is pledged specifically to the current ticket. If the candidate is someone other than one of the two currently on the ticket, all those pledged donations go straight back to the people that pledged them. It doesn't transfer.

A candidate outside of Biden/Harris trying to run right now would functionally be starting from scratch, and have to resolicit pretty much their entire damn campaign fund. It's not workable this close to the election, just. Flat out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53149 on: July 20, 2024, 06:58:00 pm »

"White Trash" Historian Nancy Isenberg on J.D. Vance, "Hillbilly Elegy" & Class in America
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LLlyToprJo
American historian and the author of White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America, Nancy Isenberg, calls Republican vice-presidential nominee J.D. Vance a peddler of the "self-made man myth." Isenberg criticizes Hilbilly Elegy, the memoir that propelled him to fame, as a deceptive way of selling this myth and the conservative politics it comes with. "Much of what his memoir says tells us nothing about real class conditions," Isenberg says, pointing to her own historical and sociological research on the rural poor in the United States.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #53150 on: July 20, 2024, 09:34:58 pm »

Biden's campaign has, repeatedly, stated they're staying in, yeah. Biden has, Harris has, staffers have, there has been approximately zero ambiguity on that one.

That's really Politics:101 though. As soon as a politician acknowledges even the remote possibility of defeat, their chances drop precipitously. Biden has to say that he is all-in, right up until the exact instant that he's out.

Unrelated, 4 years from now Trump is definitely going to order Vance to refuse to certify the next president so that Trump can remain in office for life, he will do it, and Congress is going to go along with it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53151 on: July 21, 2024, 01:00:06 pm »

Speaking of... Biden's actually withdrawn now.

Commence the chaos.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53152 on: July 21, 2024, 01:00:13 pm »

https://x.com/JoeBiden/status/1815080881981190320

Looks like Biden is standing down.

edit:
Yeah it's going to be interesting. I hope the Democratic party unites behind Kamala Harris. I remember AOC doing a livestream earlier talking about how there's a concern that there was not a transition plan in place earlier and donors could fight over who becomes the presidential canidate. Hopefully the Democrats can make a good plan and it's not too messy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 01:03:16 pm by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #53153 on: July 21, 2024, 01:21:26 pm »

Well the DNC is soon, hopefully if it’s chaotic, it’s only chaotic ‘til then and people forget about it in the following 2.5 months of campaigning.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53154 on: July 21, 2024, 01:33:06 pm »

The good thing about Kamala Harris is that she doesn't give the appearance of vindictiveness that Hillary Clinton did. There is no one else to unite behind.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53155 on: July 21, 2024, 01:35:08 pm »

i made a mistake and did not see joe biden's other tweet.
https://x.com/JoeBiden/status/1815087772216303933

The good news is joe is endorsing Kamala Harris. Hopefully this is a sign for unity behind 1 candidate.

My fellow Democrats, I have decided not to accept the nomination and to focus all my energies on my duties as President for the remainder of my term. My very first decision as the party nominee in 2020 was to pick Kamala Harris as my Vice President. And it’s been the best decision I’ve made. Today I want to offer my full support and endorsement for Kamala to be the nominee of our party this year. Democrats — it’s time to come together and beat Trump. Let’s do this.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #53156 on: July 21, 2024, 01:43:38 pm »

The conservative Democrats got their wish: Trump will be elected. Prepare yourselves for progroms.

Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #53157 on: July 21, 2024, 01:44:35 pm »

You’ve been complaining about Trump getting elected anyway, this makes no difference to what you’ve been complaining about for weeks.

Edit: Getting you mixed up with other people spelling doom and gloom for the future of democracy.

Mike Johnson has demanded Biden resign as president.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 01:50:30 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #53158 on: July 21, 2024, 01:51:47 pm »

Change!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53159 on: July 21, 2024, 02:13:45 pm »

Unprecedented? Un-presidented?

I had never hoped to live in "interesting times."

Anything else really is pure speculation.
Pages: 1 ... 3542 3543 [3544] 3545 3546 ... 3563