Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3541 3542 [3543] 3544 3545 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4151801 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #53130 on: July 18, 2024, 12:38:04 pm »

I mean, maybe this is a very slippery slope of a post that is not going to go over well. I made a similar post on reddit some years ago and oh boy the hate lol. I didn't even think reddit was that pro-religion either, maybe got unlucky at the time.

But since religion popped up in some minor regards

Why would "God" or whatever want to call the deity, protect trump. WHY WOULD HE CARE...honestly why would he care about any tiny little being. it be like a human looking at an atom and hoping all the tiny atoms worship it and give tiny microscopic money to it.

So here you got a assumedly huge ancient being and there he goes caring about a little tiny person who will be gone in a few short years in comparison to an ancient old being that assumedly can't die.

And not only that, if he was an almighty being, why would he need money donated (churches love to beg for money "for God") but if God is almighty and all powerful...he can ...you know...create his own money lol. Like how hard would it be as an almighty being that can do anything to just with not even a flick of a finger make a huge mountain of gold appear. And what would this powerful being EVEN NEED MONEY FOR? Does God pay taxes or something?

And even if he did care and did exist. Actually if you look around at earth, its pretty survival of the fittest. There is no kindness on earth except humans are the exception and even then there are pretty ruthless people out there (child predators, animal abusers and psychopathic serial killers, wife abusers etc). Either way, every animal and insect in the wild (and even some plants) are pretty wicked. If God did exist, he'd probably be survival of the fittest type honestly...but...uh...still dunno why he'd care about trump of all little tiny microscopic (in relation to how huge a deity would be. I mean earth itself is microsopic compared to the universe and there are earth-like planets that make earth look small) people or money.

Unless God is human sized (assuming he exists)...and uh...I guess that could be a thing lol.

Anyway, I doubt there is an almighty being out there that cares about microscopic sized dollar bills or even cares about being worshipped or saving a boneheaded human who is actually pretty dumb honestly. Would defeat the whole evolution thing of the strongest and smartest animals surviving.
I'm not even religious and I understand why this got you flamed on reddit. Well, this is highly off-topic, but since you made the post, I figured I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

Basically, it's a complete misunderstanding of the religious mindset. The Abrahamic understanding is that God cares about everything, every single tiny detail of existence is the way it is solely because God wills it. "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." By that interpretation, God would absolutely have saved Trump, and Trump could not have survived unless God chose to save him - and the same would go for every single person who survives anything, anywhere in the world, at all times. And for everyone who dies it would be because God chose that time.

Your worldview is a common one among atheists who have very little experience with religion, I think - "God is a magician who does magic tricks" like making money appear or deflecting bullets. Religious people believe that God is the reason the universe moves on from moment to moment at all. God doesn't, to them, occasionally step in to break the laws of physics to deflect bullets, He is the reason that bullets move in a forward trajectory in the first place, the reason the laws of physics exist at all. An equivalent redditor atheist perspective might be "a computer that simulates the universe" rather than a magician. Even your whole thinking about what size God would be is a category error... to the religious, God is not any particular size, but is the reason that things in the physical world have a size at all.

Of course the other key thing from the religious perspective is that the computer that simulates the universe has certain requests of you and offers rewards for following them. Think of it as a quest line. However, this isn't because God "needs money" or "cares about being worshipped". Rather, the church needs money to do it work, and (according to the religious worldview) God wills for the church to have money, so people donate. If God didn't will for people to donate, they wouldn't. That is to say, not everyone donates, because humans have free will, but the principle is that, if God didn't okay it as at least a possibility, it simply wouldn't be an option on the table at all, no matter how hard anyone tried. Everything in the world, including the church and money, is understood to exist wholly on God's suffrance.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53131 on: July 18, 2024, 12:48:31 pm »

I mean, maybe this is a very slippery slope of a post that is not going to go over well. I made a similar post on reddit some years ago and oh boy the hate lol. I didn't even think reddit was that pro-religion either, maybe got unlucky at the time.

But since religion popped up in some minor regards

Why would "God" or whatever want to call the deity, protect trump. WHY WOULD HE CARE...honestly why would he care about any tiny little being. it be like a human looking at an atom and hoping all the tiny atoms worship it and give tiny microscopic money to it.

So here you got a assumedly huge ancient being and there he goes caring about a little tiny person who will be gone in a few short years in comparison to an ancient old being that assumedly can't die.

And not only that, if he was an almighty being, why would he need money donated (churches love to beg for money "for God") but if God is almighty and all powerful...he can ...you know...create his own money lol. Like how hard would it be as an almighty being that can do anything to just with not even a flick of a finger make a huge mountain of gold appear. And what would this powerful being EVEN NEED MONEY FOR? Does God pay taxes or something?

And even if he did care and did exist. Actually if you look around at earth, its pretty survival of the fittest. There is no kindness on earth except humans are the exception and even then there are pretty ruthless people out there (child predators, animal abusers and psychopathic serial killers, wife abusers etc). Either way, every animal and insect in the wild (and even some plants) are pretty wicked. If God did exist, he'd probably be survival of the fittest type honestly...but...uh...still dunno why he'd care about trump of all little tiny microscopic (in relation to how huge a deity would be. I mean earth itself is microsopic compared to the universe and there are earth-like planets that make earth look small) people or money.

Unless God is human sized (assuming he exists)...and uh...I guess that could be a thing lol.

Anyway, I doubt there is an almighty being out there that cares about microscopic sized dollar bills or even cares about being worshipped or saving a boneheaded human who is actually pretty dumb honestly. Would defeat the whole evolution thing of the strongest and smartest animals surviving.
I'm not even religious and I understand why this got you flamed on reddit. Well, this is highly off-topic, but since you made the post, I figured I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

Basically, it's a complete misunderstanding of the religious mindset. The Abrahamic understanding is that God cares about everything, every single tiny detail of existence is the way it is solely because God wills it. "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." By that interpretation, God would absolutely have saved Trump, and Trump could not have survived unless God chose to save him - and the same would go for every single person who survives anything, anywhere in the world, at all times. And for everyone who dies it would be because God chose that time.

Your worldview is a common one among atheists who have very little experience with religion, I think - "God is a magician who does magic tricks" like making money appear or deflecting bullets. Religious people believe that God is the reason the universe moves on from moment to moment at all. God doesn't, to them, occasionally step in to break the laws of physics to deflect bullets, He is the reason that bullets move in a forward trajectory in the first place, the reason the laws of physics exist at all. An equivalent redditor atheist perspective might be "a computer that simulates the universe" rather than a magician. Even your whole thinking about what size God would be is a category error... to the religious, God is not any particular size, but is the reason that things in the physical world have a size at all.

Of course the other key thing from the religious perspective is that the computer that simulates the universe has certain requests of you and offers rewards for following them. Think of it as a quest line. However, this isn't because God "needs money" or "cares about being worshipped". Rather, the church needs money to do it work, and (according to the religious worldview) God wills for the church to have money, so people donate. If God didn't will for people to donate, they wouldn't. That is to say, not everyone donates, because humans have free will, but the principle is that, if God didn't okay it as at least a possibility, it simply wouldn't be an option on the table at all, no matter how hard anyone tried. Everything in the world, including the church and money, is understood to exist wholly on God's suffrance.

Ah I see. Yeah, I can see that point of view. I don't really know much about religion at all, but I suppose I was making out God to be a...magician I guess than someone that religious folk actually see.

Well, that would explain why I got hated on on Reddit even with the non-religious or of different religions. My idea of what God would be, would be very wrong in the eyes of someone who is religious.

It was almost more a side tangent off the usual ameripol things though, so hopefully it doesn't go TOO far in the off topic territory. Either way though, I don't see Trump himself being very religious. If he is, I don't think he is a "go to church every sunday" person. I don't think see him go to church much (if at all?) unless for his campaign or whatever.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53132 on: July 18, 2024, 12:56:00 pm »

Somewhat related, and coupled with politics:

I was actually surprised recently to see a Baptist Church marquee sign say "Trump or God: pick one, you can't serve both!"

So even the stereotypes for Baptist churches are not universal...  and for every conservative that thinks Trump is the second coming, there is likely one that thinks otherwise.  It's just that one group tends to be more vocal, and/or gets more media attention, than the other...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53133 on: July 18, 2024, 01:00:41 pm »

Ah I see. Yeah, I can see that point of view. I don't really know much about religion at all, but I suppose I was making out God to be a...magician I guess than someone that religious folk actually see.
I remember that some of the hardest reading I ever had to do was Heidegger and Spinoza.  One talks about the fabric of reality and the other about how we only borrow our rational minds and perceptions from a greater mind that itself exists because it alone is capable of imagining itself.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53134 on: July 18, 2024, 02:21:36 pm »

God (or the gods, if there's not just the one) are always going to be ineffable, or at least not predictable. If you knew their motivation(s), you (as a mortal) could attempt to influence them for your own motives and they'd not be so above the non-divine world.

Any actual person out there is always going to be substantially effable. Some more than others. Any deity worth their pillar-of-salt is certainly gonna be able play them like a fiddle, even if we have no concept of the tune.

(There's crossover between that and the duelling principles of Free Will and Divine Plan, with all the philosophical shenanigans required to accept both simultaneously.)

Or, in terms of ultimate authority on such philosophy, even Evil had to be created and tested because <mumble mumble>.

(In terms of whether any given President is God-given... Either they all are, ultimately, or none are. If you're wagering alongside Pascal, and you've chosen a winning horse, then... Kismet, baby!)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #53135 on: July 18, 2024, 02:23:48 pm »

Ah, yes, Divine right, ftw.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53136 on: July 18, 2024, 02:24:02 pm »

The son might be all about love and mercy, but the dad is a vengeful god. Less likely that he wanted to save Donald, than he really didn't want that poor fireman to walk out of there alive.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53137 on: July 18, 2024, 04:44:41 pm »

I thought that before the assassination attempt, but admittedly the shooting has given him a real edge.  Who cares if the guy donated to what cause:  by the time the details get sorted out its all going to benefit him anyway.  The 'damage' has been done.
As near as I've noticed, it genuinely seems to have not given trump a real edge. Polling and whatnot basically hasn't budged, and the nature of the shooter, among other things, has very heavily blunted the coverage around the event, so on and so forth. The "damage" was "gop voter took a shot at trump, what do", heh. It just doesn't seem to have generated much sympathy or care.

White boy shoots into crowd is basically a "day that ends in y" thing for this damn country :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #53138 on: July 18, 2024, 05:53:11 pm »

It's just too bad they didn't have more guns at that rally, or they could have stopped the shooter before he ever took a shot at Trump.
In fact, I believe that every attendee at a Trump Rally should be armed, so that they can shoot anyone who tries to sneak in with a gun. It's the only way to ensure that everyone is perfectly safe.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53139 on: July 18, 2024, 06:24:59 pm »

It's an aside thing, but part of me kinda' wonders if our populace hasn't been basically trained to memory hole presidential (candidate) assassination attempts. Chatter I've been seeing, people remember, like, reagan, roosevelt or whatever, but more recent stuff?

Folks (myself very much included, heh) just don't seem to recall the attempts on biden, on obama, that this isn't even the first go at trump, that bush was a badly folded handkerchief from being turned into salsa by a grenade... that pretty much every bloody president and a fair number of just folks running for the office has one or more assassination attempts pointed at them, some of which got pretty damn close.

The only thing really notable about this latest one (besides how little motivation folks are managing to dig up) seems to be how close it got and that it was the first one that got a shot off since reagan, but, like. That's not particularly special as presidential candidate assassination attempts go, apparently.

We've just collectively kinda' forgot all the others in living memory. S'weird stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #53140 on: July 18, 2024, 10:45:22 pm »

It's an aside thing, but part of me kinda' wonders if our populace hasn't been basically trained to memory hole presidential (candidate) assassination attempts. Chatter I've been seeing, people remember, like, reagan, roosevelt or whatever, but more recent stuff?

Folks (myself very much included, heh) just don't seem to recall the attempts on biden, on obama, that this isn't even the first go at trump, that bush was a badly folded handkerchief from being turned into salsa by a grenade... that pretty much every bloody president and a fair number of just folks running for the office has one or more assassination attempts pointed at them, some of which got pretty damn close.

The only thing really notable about this latest one (besides how little motivation folks are managing to dig up) seems to be how close it got and that it was the first one that got a shot off since reagan, but, like. That's not particularly special as presidential candidate assassination attempts go, apparently.

We've just collectively kinda' forgot all the others in living memory. S'weird stuff.
In living memory there's been racially-motivated terrorism, union busting, COINTELPRO, ecoterrorism; people lie when they say political violence isn't a normal part of American political culture.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53141 on: July 19, 2024, 01:38:06 pm »

So is it confirmed Biden is dropping out? Getting a lot of mixed messages on various news platforms and X.

Or is it just looking likely and hasn't actually been confirmed?

Either way, its kinda a mess...I mean a lot of democrats put biden has the nominee and then they go "NAH". Even as someone who would have rather seen another candidate...no ones united in any ONE candidate, everyones united in many different potential candidates :| So its not really any different

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53142 on: July 19, 2024, 01:50:32 pm »

If the Dems could find a candidate aged 45-55 that was even just "boring", they'd probably just win by default.  Do you know how many people are tired of "the old folks" running the show?  Avoid controversies like DEI (sadly, while Buttigieg is a well-known name, and seems to be quite competent, I sadly think he's got too big a wall to climb; as does someone like VP Harris, who basically hasn't done anything at all).

Basically find a Dem that has name recognition but doesn't have any major stigma and it'd probably be a lock.

The fact that I can't think of anyone off the top of my head, though, shows how tough this may turn out to be (all the names I can think of have some kind of strike against them...)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53143 on: July 19, 2024, 01:50:58 pm »

who can even run and win tho?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #53144 on: July 19, 2024, 01:53:53 pm »

Biden campaign have confirmed they’re still running.

But yeah, I have been saying since the criticism of the debate started that nobody else is positioned to take over because they haven’t pushed anyone else during Biden’s tenure.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 3541 3542 [3543] 3544 3545 ... 3563