Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3530 3531 [3532] 3533 3534 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4153192 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52965 on: July 11, 2024, 02:46:58 am »

FYI, Republicans support Israel 100%.
If Trump wins, the situation in Israel gets worse, not better.

In fact, Trump's attempt to dismantle Democracy as we know it requires a state of constant war, ala Orwell's 1984. So Trump as President will have to increase the number and intensity of Global Conflicts so he can justify disbanding such things as the Two Term Limit for President, the Congressional Supermajority Veto Override, and the newfound superiority of the Legislature over Government Agencies administered by the President.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52966 on: July 11, 2024, 03:03:59 am »

Trump appeared to take a great deal of pride in not starting any new wars during his first term, and he didn’t respond militarily when Iran bombed an airbase (I think in Iraq?) and injured many American soldiers.

I certainly hope that means he doesn’t do the total global war thing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #52967 on: July 11, 2024, 03:45:49 pm »

The first Congressman to call for Biden to step aside was back on July 2nd. That number gradually increased to 9 Congressmen yesterday, July 10th. Today we've seen that number spike, with 4 more Congressmen and one Senator joining the call. And the day is not yet over.

Could this be a turning point?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52968 on: July 11, 2024, 03:54:14 pm »

It's a turning point all right. Straight to "The only tangible things Dems can do is shoot themselves in the face."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52969 on: July 11, 2024, 05:18:19 pm »

Oopsy-doopsy, Biden accidentally refers to Zelensky (who chuckled at the error) as president Putin.

That’ll surely calm his detractors.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52970 on: July 11, 2024, 05:22:33 pm »

It looked more like a joke that fell flat to me.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #52971 on: July 11, 2024, 06:34:07 pm »

Oopsy-doopsy, Biden accidentally refers to Zelensky (who chuckled at the error) as president Putin.

And now he referenced his Vice President, Trump, whom he has absolute confidence in.

This is snowballing fast.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52972 on: July 11, 2024, 06:36:48 pm »

I feel bad for the guy, honestly. I would not want to be in that position and have literally everyone watching and commenting.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52973 on: July 11, 2024, 07:08:57 pm »

delete the elections, have em pro forma if you will
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 08:07:25 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52974 on: July 11, 2024, 07:12:59 pm »

but then just leave it all, its on autopilot anyway
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 08:10:29 pm by dragdeler »
let

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52975 on: July 11, 2024, 10:28:08 pm »

Texas's Abortion Ban is Killing Babies https://youtu.be/F_LYR2JfugM?si=iUbeLc_GfCRq-72l
I found this video to be informative.

I’m pretty sure research has shown information against a position usually just shores up the opposite position.

I think understanding people and treating them like human beings is more likely to engender respectful discourse.

Obviously this requires the participants of the argument to be arguing in good faith.
If that is true, that is unfortunate to hear. I tend to do research and reading so I value when people present information. People who disregard information are preventing themselves from learning and improving.
So perhaps pathos and feeling arguments are need to change the minds of some people. It makes sense to change tactics depending on your audience. Some audiences might be receptive to emotion-based argumentation and delivery of information.

edit july 12

Man, can we get an age check? I'm 40 and I've seen so many "peace in the Middle East" attempts in my time alive, I have no illusions left that some white guy from the West is going to broker real peace. Nor a ceasefire, because this is 2024 and we have a hot war that's been running for years that two presidents have been unable to do anything but support, because it's all we realistically can do other than "nothing."

I feel like the only two reasonable options for the US are to maintain the status quo, or withdraw support from Israel. US Diplomats aren't sitting around while this is going on, doing nothing either. I'm sure every day a ceasefire is repeatedly offered as a temporary solution.

Not being Jewish, I don't have much of a stake in the game beyond the sheer inhumanity of what's happened and is still going on. So obviously, I'm going to struggle to see why the US should have a stake in this either other than being a peace broker. I don't truly believe Israel is the key to the Middle East uniting against the US were it to cease to be a nation-state. So maintaining an ally there really just means the US has a place to stage ground forces if need be. And since I'm no fan of the MIC, us shuffling billions around in arms deals is something I would happily see go away, or at a minimum stop in Israel. Lastly, while it would be politically catastrophic for whatever administration withdrew support, I think that's a band-aid the US just needs to rip off. I'd be happy for us to continue supporting Israel, but the thought of our tax dollars supporting straight-up war crimes for EITHER side just makes me want the fuck out of it. Despite the fact I support Ukraine, I have no doubt we've probably enabled some of that in their war for survival as well. That's just war to some extent, but what's going on in Israel is pretty barbaric and has been since I was old enough to understand what was going on.

So TLDR: from a guy I didn't expect much from, I certainly didn't expect Biden to pull off a Nobel Peace Prize winning move in an election year.

“I feel like the only two reasonable options for the US are to maintain the status quo, or withdraw support from Israel.”
I think that best move is for the US to withdraw support.
The US should not be willing to ride or die with another allied country. If Canada all the sudden became a fascist dictatorship that invades Denmark, the US should be willing unalign themselves from Canada. The US must be willing to adapt to change, including the changes that are occurring in Israel. If Israel keeps alienating themselves to the global community, there's no reason for the US to join in the isolation as well.

I think the government of Israel is becoming too dangerous so maintaining status quo doesn't really make sense.

“US Diplomats aren't sitting around while this is going on, doing nothing either. I'm sure every day a ceasefire is repeatedly offered as a temporary solution. ”
I don’t really know what the US diplomats are doing, I haven’t done too much research into that. I think that a temporary solution is needed. And I hope that it is true that a ceasefire is offered daily. We have to take things step by step.
I like to think of climate change causing extreme weather disasters. We need to provide aid to hurricane victims while working to a long term solutions like green energy. So hopefully after a ceasefire we can work to a 2 state solution were Palestine is given sovereignty or 1 state solution where there is no apartheid in Israel (people have equal rights under the law).

“And since I'm no fan of the MIC, us shuffling billions around in arms deals is something I would happily see go away, or at a minimum stop in Israel.”
Yeah I think you are correct, the MIC is very harmful and it would be cool if it went away. In an ideal word weapons would be produced to self defense rather than corporate greed and war profiteering. (I suppose an extremely ideal world there would be no need for weapons at all, but that’s pretty difficult for me to imagine reaching such a world lol).

“So obviously, I'm going to struggle to see why the US should have a stake in this either other than being a peace broker. I don't truly believe Israel is the key to the Middle East uniting against the US were it to cease to be a nation-state. So maintaining an ally there really just means the US has a place to stage ground forces if need be.”
Yeah I think I get what you are saying. Our government is currently just kind of being self-serving when it wants a staging ground for our military. Using Israel as staging ground is kind of disrespectful to Israel. We are treating them like an asset, an object, rather than an equal country. If the US keeps focusing on just keeping it’s hegemony and only focused on enriching themselves, the US will lose goodwill from other countries. Other countries will be less trustful of the US.

“Lastly, while it would be politically catastrophic for whatever administration withdrew support, I think that's a band-aid the US just needs to rip off.”
True, it is a band-aid that needs to be ripped off. If the US government keeps holding water for the government of Israel, I think in the long run this will hurt the US. The US will continue to look self-serving and cynical. I think the US would be stronger if it held the moral high ground. If a country held the moral high ground, other countries could trust and ally with a country who is looking out for humanity. The US loses trust and respect when it does selfish actions.

“So TLDR: from a guy I didn't expect much from, I certainly didn't expect Biden to pull off a Nobel Peace Prize winning move in an election year. ”
I also agree with this sentiment. I think Biden is too weak on this issue. I don’t have confidence in Biden to care about ending the bloodshed. I think one of Biden’s weaknesses is being too stubborn.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 11:54:00 am by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52976 on: July 12, 2024, 12:08:21 pm »

I think it is helpful to remind everyone of the first rule of politics: Old People Vote.
They're the most reliable voters, and they now outnumber literally everyone else even if everyone voted.

Young people tend to be unreliable voters.  They say they have feelings about things, but can't be bothered to actually vote.
That being said, if the young people can be organized, they are capable of making a difference.  But left to their own devices, they generally don't vote.

As for Biden: He was a mediocre candidate when he won against Trump the first time, and he is a mediocre candidate now. 
But he's the incumbent and the election is less than four months away.
Democrats need to shut up and close ranks, like they are capable of doing on other issues.

In a May 24, 2021 piece, former Reagan admin worker, Lawrence J. Korb points out how Biden is...
Yeah, like a former Reagan admin worker is ever gonna say anything about a Democrat other than "This guy sucks"

Overall, I think Biden is handling the issue with Israel as best as literally anyone could.  Even Reagan struggled with Israel and the Middle East, and his party was the easier one.

The US providing arms to Israel is actually the only thing that is keeping Israel from treating the Palestinians much, much worse.  While Israel has "accidentally" killed "a few" aid workers and reporters, they know that they can't kill "too many" or they'll lose their main source of supplies and support.  Without US aid, they could just "kill everyone" and ignore the international community.  Just look at how most of the wars in Africa are conducted, or even how Hamas conducts their side of the war, and you can see at least minimal restraint being shown by Israel.
While I do agree with you that what the military of Israel is doing is not an accident, I think that it is not a few journalists that are being killed.
As of July 12, 2024, CPJ’s preliminary investigations showed at least 108 journalists and media workers were among the more than 39,000 killed since the war began, making it the deadliest period for journalists since CPJ began gathering data in 1992.
This is pretty crazy stuff. Reaching such a high is really unreal. But unfortunately unreal things happen. This stuff sucks.

So overall, I think there is not a limit really to how many journalists Israeli military can kill. I still feel like we can not do appeasement for right wing governments. I feel like Netanyahu is bad faith.
Max avatar size is 80x80

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #52977 on: July 12, 2024, 03:07:00 pm »

Every reactionary conservative puppet on the global stage is acting in bad faith at all times, and Netanyahu is the boldest stiffest puppet on that stage this decade. The inability to clearly identify these puppets correctly and consistently is one of the biggest failures of Liberal Western Democracy

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52978 on: July 12, 2024, 05:32:35 pm »

Liberal Western Democracies sometimes elect those types tho

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52979 on: July 12, 2024, 11:37:10 pm »

Michigan man supporting Biden. I am very displeased at current events, and I am taking notes.

Also there were articles in the news recently about information campaigns targetting lawmakers to think complete insanities have way more popular support than they do. I wonder if there is such a campaign here? I think it was in Europe or something ages ago, like a month or something.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 3530 3531 [3532] 3533 3534 ... 3563