Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3515 3516 [3517] 3518 3519 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4156537 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52740 on: May 30, 2024, 04:34:05 pm »

I want to emphasize three things.

1. This crime is often punished with a fine, even for the felony level. Jail time is not impossible (especially given his trial antics), but if he doesn't get it it is not a case of him getting special treatment.

2. Biden will now be able to use the phrase "my opponent, convicted felon Donald Trump" at-will during the election. This is incredibly damaging.

3. Of all the charges facing Trump, this is the one where the prosecution had the weakest case. Even accounting for venue, this is not a good sign for Trump's prospects in other trials.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #52741 on: May 30, 2024, 04:44:01 pm »

Aaaand he's already using it to beg for money.

Apparently the system is simultaneously so corrupt he can get convicted on false charges and something he can fight against but he needs your money, don't think about it too much just give him your money now! xD

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52742 on: May 30, 2024, 05:35:15 pm »

Like they say, grifters gotta grift. And Trump's a long-time, practiced grifter (despite what he'd have you believe about earning vast fortunes all through cunning business acumen), so the fact that he's already begging for money should surprise precisely no one.

Shame that he'll probably dodge jail time, and the whole "convicted felon" thing isn't going to dissuade anyone who had already planned on voting for him.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52743 on: May 30, 2024, 05:37:50 pm »

I hope some next court case wil declare Trump to be a criminal organisation, so donating money to him becomes a crime too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #52744 on: May 30, 2024, 05:45:58 pm »

Trumps already eyeing up his next lot of GOP purges between the ones left in the Law & Order party who say Law & Order must be respected vs those who say Law & Order is for suckers because it happened to one of us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52745 on: May 30, 2024, 06:36:06 pm »

I'm having intrusive thoughts that the present major Verizon outage is somehow related to this. Phones going to SOS mode / no signal in several major metro areas, in quite different geographic areas.  West coast, Great Lakes, more.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52746 on: May 30, 2024, 06:38:58 pm »

There’s a saying about blaming malice when it could be as easily explained by incompetence that probably applies here.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52747 on: May 30, 2024, 06:39:32 pm »

I hope some next court case wil declare Trump to be a criminal organisation, so donating money to him becomes a crime too.
That wouldn't be legally possible in the US.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52748 on: May 30, 2024, 07:03:32 pm »

In the time-period before the elections, it will be difficult for biden's immediate circle to attack trump regarding the fake-elector and documents cases, but if the state-level fake-electors cases proceed against trump's minions during that time, the results of this hush-money case will serve to imply Trump was in charge of, and knowing of, those fake-elector plots.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52749 on: May 30, 2024, 07:36:42 pm »

In the time-period before the elections, it will be difficult for biden's immediate circle to attack trump regarding the fake-elector and documents cases, but if the state-level fake-electors cases proceed against trump's minions during that time, the results of this hush-money case will serve to imply Trump was in charge of, and knowing of, those fake-elector plots.
If you mean as a legal argument in court, it's pretty unlikely that a judge would allow that argument to be made, and, if one did, it would be grounds for reversal. You can't, as a matter of law, use unrelated bad acts to "imply" that someone was the kind of person who might have done something - you have to prove he actually did it in the specific case. If they don't have evidence that he was in charge of THOSE actions, it's not going to fly.

I also separately strongly suspect that the fake elector business will fail at the Supreme Court but that's a separate issue.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52750 on: May 30, 2024, 08:30:08 pm »

I said "In the time-period before the elections..." because I was referring to how it could influence voter perception before the election.

You may not be able to use "unrelated bad acts" in court, but they get used to alter perceptions all the time. The fake-elector cases are in swing states. If those cases are active and in the local news before the presidential election, there will be discussion about trump as as the one who was in charge of and knew of, those fake-elector plots.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52751 on: May 30, 2024, 08:37:35 pm »

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if you meant in court or outside it. Outside it, sure, although polling sure doesn't seem to suggest that it's working so far.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52752 on: May 30, 2024, 08:46:32 pm »

Polling is straight-up broken. Last I looked it was something like one response per thousand calls, and there's a definite skewing in the "willing to accept a random call" demographic.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52753 on: May 30, 2024, 11:40:54 pm »

I have one word for this whole situation:

HA!
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52754 on: May 31, 2024, 03:03:36 am »

That wouldn't be legally possible in the US.
So it is totally okay to donate a billion dollars to IS?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3515 3516 [3517] 3518 3519 ... 3563