Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245150 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Failed State might be a good one to use, since that's fairly understood. There are articles state that if Greece wasn't propped up it'd become a Failed State.

Maybe a "life support state" :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Believe it or not I was actually trying to research if there was a non-biblical reason why a one world government is a bad thing (even if properly implemented). Since... I always thought that is kind of the final stage of lasting world peace.
Observe how corporations have consolidated their hold over public influence, in politics, media and finance. Observe how the distinction between businessman and statesman is increasingly meaningless. Then implement that in a world government; total subjugation, total power consolidation, with no chance of escape except through a global insurgency against the global government. What measures would such a global government employ to ensure insurgents had no environment in which to exist? The whole dystopia and curiously enough utopia genre exists for this reason. Compare the Island with Brave New World, one in which drugs are used to usher in enlightenment, another in which drugs are used to keep people too pacified and pleasured to understand their subjugation. One has communal living to protect children from unalloyed exposure to the individual neuroses of any parents, the other does so in order to better aid psychosexual elimination of individuality within society from the youngest age. The list goes on, utopia and dystopia, heaven and hell, good and evil have often resembled one another. It is an interesting topic, one which you can explore to a great range - I'm interested, what ideal model did you find, what is its proper implementation and how could it be done?

Kind of like how when the UK started to do Brexit... They realized... they had no real reason to do Brexit... but are going to do it anyway.
I beg to differ Neonivek, and you'd do well to realize John Oliver represents more Progressives than he does Britons, please spend 10 seconds to check BBC news and read any of the Prime Minister's statements.

It was, in the end, an objection to the idea of Brexit more than the policies and government of it... (Which yes, they complained about... But don't... actually want to change it)
Brexit is WEIRD!!!
Pardon? Do you have any facts to back up any of your assertions?

I think it amounts to not wanted to be told what to do as well as the knowledge that they couldn't back out of policies.
I suppose a global government would need to source its legitimacy with which to command the human race very carefully, or else find itself facing total revolt.

Yeah I can understand it NOW being a bad idea... but why is it a sort of end times entity?
Why is it a freeken boogeyman?
Because it would be the single most powerful political entity ever created? Do you not see why people would be concerned with doing it right or doing it not at all? Jesus Christ mate

Needless to say, many people aren't cheerleading for the death of their culture.
Though, oddly and sadly, many actually are.
Demoralization is a powerful condition

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile

What are y'all's opinions on the recent Berkley riots? Especially that the "protesters"are actually violent thugs, actively posting on Facebook their intent to "get Nazi scalps" and putting M80 firecrackers in glass bottles, lighting them and throwing them at people, basically making IEDs?

What are all these people covering their faces for, then going to a "protest" that is actually a riot?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

We talked about the Berkley riots a few pages back, pretty much all that could be said was said. Also pepsi

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Articles I'm reading now seem to say both sides just as bad as each other. Not sure why you'd single out any of them for special mention. Since we already mentioned the anarchists and we hear about them more there are some descriptions and pictures of the other side of the rally:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/blakemontgomery/heres-what-really-happened-at-saturdays-berkeley-riot?utm_term=.uslJdgbPv#.jkZm0JPQ5
Both pro- and anti-Trump protesters arrived Saturday armed with shields and helmets, apparently ready for a fight. In fact, the fight seemed to be the reason many came out. Throughout the day, the two sides fought using wooden poles, pepper spray, mace, explosives, bagels, milk, and fists, bloodying their opponents in the melee.
Several notable alt-right figures were in attendance. Nathan Damigo, the founder of the white supremacist group Identity Evropa, punched a woman straight in the face. Kyle Chapman, a local alt-right folk hero known as Based Stickman, was also in the mix, dressed for combat in a helmet, elbow pads, and heavy kilt. Anthime Gionet — another alt-right writer (and former BuzzFeed employee) who goes by the name Baked Alaska — livestreamed the violence, trolllng anti-Trump protesters by offering them a can of Pepsi.

it may be Buzzfeed but they're naming specific actual people and events. We can talk about anarchists with faces covered but there are photos of Trump people who brought the same kind of gear:

They're also marching around with helmets, shields, and toting the same kind of makeshift weapons as the other lot.

Also in this tweeted photo, you have Trump/Pence supporters giving NAZI salutes next to a guy in a cloth skull mask. He's clearly another Trump supporter, kitted out exactly the same as the anarchists everyone mentions:
https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/853401175353204736/photo/1
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:14:25 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

actively posting on Facebook their intent to "get Nazi scalps"

I grow more and more tired of the insistence on taking people on their literal word and refusal to give any leeway for embellishment* when it comes to The Other Side, especially since it is always 99.999999% certainly accompanied by a high horse attitude when The Other Side takes the words of people on The Your Side literally. It has become pretty endemic of American internet discourse, and as such, pretty much all the internets. It is an effect of polarisation, I suppose, but this constant game of inearnest accusal and denial is getting on my nerves.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Remembering what is happening to Greece makes me angry enough.

I wont even go on what my feelings are exactly when the PIGS/PIIGS label pops up
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

There was a reason I put it in scare quotes CP-- The point was that the preceding prognostication about how a "life support state" would get seriously maligned in a one world goverment, already had a real world example. Greece.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Hm, I don't think anyone thought the designation 'PIGS' denigrates Ireland. Maybe it's not about the label.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It has included Ireland since I first heard it mentioned during the economic crisis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIGS_(economics)
[he PIGS acronym originally refers, often derogatorily, to the economies of the Southern European countries of Portugal, Italy, Greece, and Spain. During the European debt crisis, the term was also increasingly used to refer to the economies of Portugal, Ireland, Greece, and Spain, four EU member states that were unable to refinance their government debt or to bail out over-indebted banks on their own during the crisis.i
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Well yeah. If the 'I' didn't stand for Ireland, what I said wouldn't make a lick of sense.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I thought you said "designates Ireland. It makes much less sense now, unless you're trying to make a joke on Ireland's expense.
Love, scriver~

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

House Oversight Chairman Jason Cheffetz not to run for reelection
He probably has realized, after the recent special elections showed super-powerful swings towards Democrats that suddenly made elections in traditionally conservative-locked areas quite competitive, that the House Republicans in 2018 are in for an asswhooping of the lifetime, and that it's a good time to lay low.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In all fairness if I was a conservative I am not sure if I'd be embarrassed or REALLY mad at Democrats.

Since the stars aligned for me and the government still can't function.

THAT and the republicans proven that they are huge freeken hypocrits for criticizing the 'Nuclear option' that the Democrats used... But then bastardizing it MUCH further than even the democrats set up (even in a way it specifically said does not apply).

Did the nuclear option happen?
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 3569