Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3352 3353 [3354] 3355 3356 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235699 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50295 on: January 20, 2023, 09:55:21 am »

GOP in congress reminds me of a game I had in dwarf fortress. I had a bunch of coffee and I have a mouth infection, so bear with me. Maybe you'll see the hidden meanings or not or maybe there are none.

I was doing super good, winning the game...decided...you know what...I'm bored.... also partly the dwarves were lagging the game and my old pc was junk.

So I open a pit of magma and play what dwarf is smart enough to not go in the magma.

Well solved the lag problem, but then the magma was lagging my pc. my old pc just couldn't keep up with everything going on, and eventually crashed my pc. I booted it up, my save game was corrupted and I started a new fortress knowing all my work from before was a learning process of what to do...and what not to do...

what the point of this post is...uh well nothing...just like GOP in congress

I'll see myself out

Prime sig material.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50296 on: January 20, 2023, 09:59:23 am »

A $1 million fine to Trump is meaningless.  I guess it sets some precedent that he was punished in some way, but it's not going to really mean anything.

Regarding Wyoming and electric cars: I was wondering why they'd something so utterly stupid, but if the state relies on fossil fuel production for a significant portion of its industry there is at least some logic to it other than "electric cars = liberal and thus evil".  It's still utterly stupid, and in particular I'm baffled that they essentially are saying, "We don't have electric car recharging infrastructure here so we're not going to just say you're on your own but instead say you just can't buy an electric car here."  Party of small government, right there.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50297 on: January 20, 2023, 10:12:18 am »

Look at this dumb corrupt bullshit

https://www.techdirt.com/2023/01/19/wyoming-bans-electric-cars-in-dumb-performative-oil-industry-ass-kissing/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember all those years (decades now) I've complained about money in politics? This is another example why. I guess Wyoming's leaders think it is just too shitty of a state to adapt to changing conditions. I vehemently disagree with their assessment. Have fun not having cars in 20 years if the awful leadership displayed here isn't curtailed by vote. Ever seen the cars in Cuba?

I say, Detroit, that if they legislate against the cars you make do not accomodate Wyoming. You certainly did that with California, a far wealthier and profitable state, when they mandated electic vehicles must be on their market in decades past. Now that production capital is being changed in the opposite direction, turnabout is fair play in this instance. If this continues down this path, they can do some startups with Wyoming's great coffers of wealth and make Wyomobiles if they like to have vehicles, or import some old ass Toyotas. Concessions to this goofballery is not in the industry's interest.

Living in New York, where they're outlawing Gasoline cars, I can only roll my eyes at Wyoming's statement. 
“vast stretches of highway, coupled with a lack of electric vehicle charging infrastructure” pretty much describes Upstate New York, but our votes don't count.

Honestly, the Environmentalist in me understands that draconian laws are the only way to save the Earth (or at least in fucked up Americaland), but they still rub the Libertarian in me the wrong way.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50298 on: January 20, 2023, 10:13:45 am »

The federel court in Florida has sentenced Donald Trump to paying a million dollars in compensation to Hillary Clinton and her campaign team, for falsely accusing her of manipulating the elections, and for abusing the justice system for political gain, thereby undermining the rule of law.

That is pretty amazing.  It's a very clear "you were wrong, Mr. Trump". Even if the amount is the Rich Fuck equivalent of the symbolic $1 fine, it's a mighty fine thing to see.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50299 on: January 20, 2023, 10:22:24 am »

The potentially interesting side of it is, well, he didn't just accuse clinton of manipulating the elections. That's stuff from something like half a decade ago, and the shitgibbon hasn't exactly watched their words on that front since. It's not impossible this is just the first of several similar decisions.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50300 on: January 20, 2023, 11:02:45 am »

It is a strong signal, even though the million dollar fine is meaningless.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50301 on: January 20, 2023, 02:31:02 pm »

This isn't a defamation case - it is a sanction for a fraudulent lawsuit. That's why the amount is so low - it is the cost of the defendant's legal fees.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50302 on: January 20, 2023, 02:39:19 pm »

And worth noting that sanctions like these are quite rare - while frivolous lawsuits and the like aren't that uncommon and get called out by judges, it takes really bad facts (with evidence!) for a judge to decide that it's egregious enough for sanctions and not just dismissal.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50303 on: January 20, 2023, 03:42:31 pm »

It's a laughably meaningless slap on the wrist; all Trump has to do is mumble something about "muh election" and his supporters will send enough money to pay the entire fine and then some. Then Trump will laugh all the way to the golf course.

Wake me up when he's facing the real prospect of jail time. That might something to celebrate, seeing rich crooks in danger of actual consequences.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50304 on: January 20, 2023, 03:54:19 pm »

The judge's order for the sanction against Trump.
...and the pointed footnote 38

EDIT: And now Trump dropped his case against NY AG Letitia James...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 05:05:20 pm by anewaname »
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50305 on: January 20, 2023, 05:02:03 pm »

If every state that he pulled this fuckery in, it stops being a slap on the wrist and starts becoming a real threat. His donors can only subsidize so much of his legal fees. He's fending off so many legal challenges now, I would estimate his legal fees would be in the ballpark of like $100 million. Add in a campaign operation and you're talking hundreds of millions just to survive the legal challenges and have a functioning political campaign.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50306 on: January 20, 2023, 05:57:34 pm »

Tbf bruising his ego is probably worse punishment than a fine.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50307 on: January 20, 2023, 11:55:35 pm »

The judge's order for the sanction against Trump.
...and the pointed footnote 38

EDIT: And now Trump dropped his case against NY AG Letitia James...

That was pretty awesome.
The Judge basically said,
"If you think this fine is too much, just submit your actual finances, and we'll consider reducing it"
Which is a slap in No Tax Statement Trump's face

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #50308 on: January 21, 2023, 06:57:49 am »

Look at this dumb corrupt bullshit

https://www.techdirt.com/2023/01/19/wyoming-bans-electric-cars-in-dumb-performative-oil-industry-ass-kissing/

Remember all those years (decades now) I've complained about money in politics? This is another example why. I guess Wyoming's leaders think it is just too shitty of a state to adapt to changing conditions. I vehemently disagree with their assessment. Have fun not having cars in 20 years if the awful leadership displayed here isn't curtailed by vote. Ever seen the cars in Cuba?

I say, Detroit, that if they legislate against the cars you make do not accomodate Wyoming. You certainly did that with California, a far wealthier and profitable state, when they mandated electic vehicles must be on their market in decades past. Now that production capital is being changed in the opposite direction, turnabout is fair play in this instance. If this continues down this path, they can do some startups with Wyoming's great coffers of wealth and make Wyomobiles if they like to have vehicles, or import some old ass Toyotas. Concessions to this goofballery is not in the industry's interest.

Living in New York, where they're outlawing Gasoline cars, I can only roll my eyes at Wyoming's statement. 
“vast stretches of highway, coupled with a lack of electric vehicle charging infrastructure” pretty much describes Upstate New York, but our votes don't count.

Honestly, the Environmentalist in me understands that draconian laws are the only way to save the Earth (or at least in fucked up Americaland), but they still rub the Libertarian in me the wrong way.

I hear you pal. I regretted the tone I used in that post substantially in the hours after I made it, sooo IapologizetoWyomingeventhoughithasastupidbill

There

They outlawed gas cars in N.Y.?  Or just new sales? I'm thinking it's probably the latter, like the Wyoming bill in reverse. I view it sort of like the banning of lead in gasoline for better octane. Some science I read somewhere said lead from exhaust and lead paint were theorized to have had effects on previous generations, and it was banned for posterity. I think switching engine powr sources altogether is kind of like that. I am also thrilled to see the industry planning big production capital that a man can dream will make new cars more affordable, if they can crank out those batteries cheaply at scale to lower the overall price on the model to expand volume of sales.

EDIT: Oh I also calculated wrong in my emotive posting, it's more like 1.5 x decade rather than decades.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 07:38:36 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50309 on: January 21, 2023, 07:32:14 am »

Is there a momevent in state New York yo separate from City New York into two states?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3352 3353 [3354] 3355 3356 ... 3567