Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3340 3341 [3342] 3343 3344 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230482 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50115 on: December 04, 2022, 05:23:56 pm »

Trump is too self-centered to work in a cooperative role like speaker and everyone knows it. He was able to function in the executive branch only because he was at the top in the authoritarian role.
I could see a world where the Republicans hire a Trump wrangler whose job it is to give Trump an important sounding role with lots of publicity but no actual authority, e.g. sure Trump you can be the executive president of the people's public liaison office
I am very much minded of the closing(-ish) scene of Pratchett's Faust Eric and the Supreme Life President of Hell.

For those that have read it, I think you'll know of what I mean, though it would need tuning to our own past incumbant's tendencies, which aren't exactly that kind of hyperidealised beaurocracy... ;)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50116 on: December 09, 2022, 12:12:22 pm »

The dominoes are starting to fall.

Still don't know if this will result in him being criminally prosecuted. He'll probably just claim ignorance and that he didn't drive these decisions.

But I would be surprised if anyone being criminally indicted doesn't immediately take a plea and give the Feds everything they want.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50117 on: December 09, 2022, 12:38:47 pm »

I'll be shocked if they turn up hard evidence that Trump was directly involved in it, so most likely he'll victimize some executives and throw them under the bus.

Still, one more thing going against him in 2024.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50118 on: December 09, 2022, 01:30:50 pm »

That's the thing about throwing people under the bus. If you have no loyalty to them, they have no loyalty to you. So if he did personally direct his staff to commit fraud, that will come out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50119 on: December 09, 2022, 01:46:14 pm »

I'll be shocked if they turn up hard evidence that Trump was directly involved in it, so most likely he'll victimize some executives and throw them under the bus.
Him being directly involved in it was apparently part of the evidence that lead to the conviction of the company, for what it's worth. We'll see if anything will come of it, but odds are better than they were prior to that guilty decision.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50120 on: December 09, 2022, 01:48:08 pm »

Perhaps, but I'll believe he goes to jail when he does.  I doubt anyone has shared much detail on what evidence they've found, but unless they have some kind of recordings of him ordering it I imagine it'll be hard to get enough evidence to convict him.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #50121 on: December 09, 2022, 07:03:43 pm »

Still, one more thing going against him in 2024.

Apparently he initialed or signed a memo confirming a pay cut to an executive for the precise amount of money the corporation was paying for said executive’s rent.

Weisselberg took the fall not because he was thrown under the bus but to protect Trump. He’s been working for Trump for decades, and was briefing both the prosecution and the defense. Trump is throwing him under the bus insofar as he’s blaming him for the episode, while still paying him. He’s a scapegoat, at best.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 07:05:30 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50122 on: December 14, 2022, 08:53:35 pm »

Hello! Here's some more attempted fascism from TX. They're making a list and checking it twice ;)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50123 on: December 14, 2022, 09:00:31 pm »

"Sorry folks, if you're intersex or had a mistake on your birth certificate it's off to the camps with you nothing to worry about.

Trans people, this is worrying and we hate you and you should be scared of us."
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50124 on: December 14, 2022, 10:47:36 pm »

They're literally floating making registries in Texas, Ohio, and Virginia . . . I'm disgusted.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #50125 on: December 15, 2022, 12:08:42 am »

Yup! Turns out I was right on the suspicions that kept me from updating my documents there for the past half decade. Always figured there were even odds of fascists using that specific government data to target trans people here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50126 on: December 15, 2022, 03:43:31 am »

What's the on doctor/health information privacy in the US? This seems like it would be a breach of it.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50127 on: December 15, 2022, 04:24:47 am »

They're using DMV records, noting who has changed the gender on their driver's license or other identifying documents. That's not protected data.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50128 on: December 15, 2022, 04:34:52 am »

Ah, I read that but I didn't catch that ;)
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50129 on: December 19, 2022, 02:44:18 pm »

Get your popcorn ready!  Jan 6 recommendations are out...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 3340 3341 [3342] 3343 3344 ... 3567