Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3322 3323 [3324] 3325 3326 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231236 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49845 on: November 02, 2022, 11:39:21 pm »

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1587944281091686401?t=B-Kc2BmqqOltGA3NQK3L6g&s=33

BREAKING: KASH PATEL [close acquaintance of Donald Trump] HAS BEEN GRANTED LIMITED USE IMMUNITY AND WILL TESTIFY BEFORE THE GRAND JURY IN THE DOCUMENTS CASE.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49846 on: November 03, 2022, 03:10:52 pm »

Kinda suspicious the feds ruined the economy so shortly after the big elections...that only help the GOP

I bet there are right wingers in charge over there or/and trumpers (one in the same really) that did it specifically for that.

They literally are committing treason or at best election interference whoever is in charge over there

I thought it was just a CNN scare story, but actually they actually went and done it. Like why such a massive hit to the economy before big elections.

I recently set out to determine the political affiliation of every Federal Reserve System economist using various state, county and city voter-registration databases. What I found was that in 2021 the overall Democrat-to-Republican ratio was 10.4 to 1. For every Republican economist at the Federal Reserve System, there are more than 10 Democrats. The lack of political diversity is especially pronounced among the economists of the Board of Governors, where the ratio is 48.5 to 1.
The economy is just doing shite in general because the era of giving your rich m8s infinite cheap money was not sustainable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49847 on: November 03, 2022, 04:45:18 pm »

Interesting that they didn't go back any further than 2019. I wonder why. Maybe it would show that the decision making in the Fed, in good times or bad, is consistent regardless of the political equity among position holders.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49848 on: November 03, 2022, 05:30:11 pm »

fair enough. I guess I just don't think massive decisions should be made one week out from an election. Like put a pause on things, unless its an emergency. But maybe realistically that isn't a thing. I guess the economy could be considered an emergency, its just, while they had to do it, waiting until after the elections I don't think make a massive difference. Then again I'm not an economic expert, but from what I see, dunno why they did that so soon before an election. Two weeks before, thats fine to me thats a ways off. But dunno, don't like it was so soon.

Well either way, it doesn't seem like it makes much a difference anyway who people vote for. And democrats still kicking butt (again especially what was assumed how we'd do) in most polls if polls matter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49849 on: November 03, 2022, 06:24:58 pm »

You can compare the Fed with stuff like the Bank of England or Bank of Japan hiking up interest rates or intervening in gilts during elections or leadership selections; these monetary and financial institutions like to stay aloof from partisan politics and politically sensitive times, but sometimes they have a time limit to act before things like inflation become hyperinflation which trumps their desire to be aloof. In such cases they inevitably have to make decisions during the elections, for better and for worse

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49850 on: November 03, 2022, 06:26:17 pm »

fair enough. I guess I just don't think massive decisions should be made one week out from an election. Like put a pause on things, unless its an emergency. But maybe realistically that isn't a thing. I guess the economy could be considered an emergency, its just, while they had to do it, waiting until after the elections I don't think make a massive difference. Then again I'm not an economic expert, but from what I see, dunno why they did that so soon before an election. Two weeks before, thats fine to me thats a ways off. But dunno, don't like it was so soon.

Well either way, it doesn't seem like it makes much a difference anyway who people vote for. And democrats still kicking butt (again especially what was assumed how we'd do) in most polls if polls matter.

If the Fed were to not take a standard measure to combat inflation simply because elections are coming up.....then the economy would be wholly subservient to politics. And it would encourage future Fed decision makers to make monetary policy based on the political winds and make them even more susceptible to political pressure to do or not do something. There's already some of that going on. But on its face, I'd rather the Fed act according to economic data rather than political perception.

Either way, the perception is going to be there. In this era of whack ass politics and bald faced lying to people in broad daylight, some schmuck can produce a poster board claiming some conspiracy theory. If it's going to happen anyways, then why bow to that reality? Continue on as before. The loonies are going to be looney no matter what the Fed does.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49851 on: November 03, 2022, 07:06:24 pm »

I'm uh.... not sure what polls you're looking at, but the republicans are currently *heavily* favored to win the house, and slightly favored to win the senate. 538, for example, is giving the GOP an 85% chance of taking the house and a 55% chance of taking the senate. I'm not sure in what world a 54% chance of losing both the house and senate is considered "kicking butt".
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49852 on: November 03, 2022, 07:22:16 pm »

Polling analysis is often iffy, even this close to the election.

Ignoring polling bias (the recent polls are from instituitons that generally favor Republican), and polling error (a consistent issue in this round of elections has been very poor response to polls), 538 is openly counting "historical trends" in their forecasts. By most historical trends, an incumbent with this economy would be looking down the barrel of opposition supermajorities in both houses - not a margin of two in the Senate and 15 in the House. Sticking to that is incredibly good performance.

And 538 themselves point out that normal polling margins of error could generate a landslide in either direction. If the polls are even slightly underestimating Democrats (perhaps because they've had two recent elections where Republicans outvoted the polls), it will be crushing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49853 on: November 03, 2022, 08:17:15 pm »

Lest we forget the 2016 elections as an example of polling error.

Nevertheless, I'm not getting my hopes up and fully expect us to end up with professional conman Dr. Oz as a senator at the very least.  It's the natural next step in American politics.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49854 on: November 03, 2022, 08:35:36 pm »

Yes of course, it's not certain. I'm not saying the republicans are absolutely going to win (though the house is looking really bad) and yes of course analysis can be and often is inaccurate.  What I'm saying is that there is no reasonable interpretation that suggests the democrats are "kicking butt" At best you can say the house is a probable but not certain loss, and the senate is a toss-up and that it's going to be an extremely tight election.

Though I'll give you a point about historical trends. I don't personally consider "well, they only lost a little bit instead of losing a lot" as kicking butt since assuming the republicans don't get a 2/3rds super-majority the effect is the same for our country. But yes - they look like they are going to do less bad than history would suggest, and even if it's just a token moral victory it's still not nothing.

Lest we forget the 2016 elections as an example of polling error.

Nevertheless, I'm not getting my hopes up and fully expect us to end up with professional conman Dr. Oz as a senator at the very least.  It's the natural next step in American politics.

Fetterman's stroke really crushed his chances, even I have to admit he did bad in his last debate. Oz is so goddamn awful fetterman might win anyway but yikes. It's not really fair because apparently he has no cognitive defects (other than a speech processing problem) but it didn't look good, and sadly appearances are extremely important.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49855 on: November 03, 2022, 08:55:42 pm »

Apparently polling on the debate wasn't actually that crushing lol.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #49856 on: November 03, 2022, 09:03:18 pm »

Polls really shouldn’t matter to the average voter, right? You’ll gonna vote for who you’re gonna vote for anyways. Unless you’re the type that goes ‘I’m not gonna vote because X is already polling to win!’
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49857 on: November 03, 2022, 09:04:36 pm »

Polls really shouldn’t matter to the average voter, right? You’ll gonna vote for who you’re gonna vote for anyways. Unless you’re the type that goes ‘I’m not gonna vote because X is already polling to win!’
No, i mean that apparently not everyone thought Fetterman did terribly.  I didn't watch it so idk.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49858 on: November 04, 2022, 02:15:18 am »

No, i mean that apparently not everyone thought Fetterman did terribly.  I didn't watch it so idk.

I did watch most of it, and it's not like he was consistently bad but he clearly struggled sometimes. Even if you had no idea he'd suffered a stroke, it was obvious something was wrong with him. And to be clear - I really hope he wins not just because the GOP is literally becoming literally hitler, I actually genuinely like the guy and think he will do a good job.

FWIW, the worst moment is probably right here: https://youtu.be/_Uaf-4nzY_Y?t=121 (at 2 min in, if the link does not work correctly).

Apparently polling on the debate wasn't actually that crushing lol.

Yeah, you're right, somehow I misread and/or misremembered something. It's not so much that he's doing worse (though he is, slightly), it's mostly that oz has been doing better and even that does not match up as well as I remembered. The debate didn't help him, but it didn't hurt him much either - the biggest narrowing was a few days before. If anything, the debate was just a gentle push to oz's already rising numbers, and possibly had no real actual effect at all.

So it was extremely unfair of me to say it was crushing, the current numbers are largely unrelated. That's my mistake.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49859 on: November 06, 2022, 07:00:46 pm »

I find it hard to express how disturbing it is to me that the republicans are running obvious con artists and lunatics, and it's still a bunch of close races. I know they gerrymander a lot, but it seems like 1/4th of the population prefers hatred over democracy.
Pages: 1 ... 3322 3323 [3324] 3325 3326 ... 3567