Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3311 3312 [3313] 3314 3315 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4237538 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49680 on: October 14, 2022, 04:15:30 am »

Hiding assets to avoid paying a lawsuit is a crime. The amount he's already been nigh-irrevocably hit with is enough to not only wipe out most estimates of his current wealth but to inflict massive garnishment on any future wages.  Or, he can try to hide the cash, get caught (he's an idiot, he will get caught), go to jail, then lose all his money and have any future income garnished.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49681 on: October 15, 2022, 02:28:36 am »

It speaks to my sadness of the growing trend to "it's ok to 'stick it to the rich and powerful, because they are rich and powerful" - it de-humanizes those people (as heinous as they may be), which puts us as no better than them... just with fewer resources.  It's not ok to "stick it to" anyone...

No, I'd say that exploiting people to gain money and power is very different from punishing people for exploiting people to gain money and power. If someone commits a mass shooting, we don't go "If the cop shoots the mass murderer, they would be just as bad as the murderer." Intent matters, and at some point enough wealth requires the exploitation of a lot of people in a bad way, and I can safely say that if someone has a billion dollars (I'm not saying Alex Jones has a billion dollars, this is just an easy line to draw right now), they did so by grinding people up into money. Squeezed as much as they could out of some group of people or another that statistically they caused someone's untimely demise.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 02:59:09 pm by Micro102 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49682 on: October 15, 2022, 06:26:20 am »

Hiding assets to avoid paying a lawsuit is a crime. The amount he's already been nigh-irrevocably hit with is enough to not only wipe out most estimates of his current wealth but to inflict massive garnishment on any future wages.  Or, he can try to hide the cash, get caught (he's an idiot, he will get caught), go to jail, then lose all his money and have any future income garnished.
There is only one appropriate way to respond to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49683 on: October 15, 2022, 05:11:11 pm »

Yeah, you're right, I'm sure his lawy- *pfft* sorry, I'm sure his lawye- *pfffffffftbahahaha*

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49684 on: October 15, 2022, 08:56:05 pm »

Evidently the application process for the student debt relief is live.

I heard some red states were taking the relief bill to court so I figured that would delay it but apparently not?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49685 on: October 15, 2022, 09:14:25 pm »

I don't think they have any grounds to? Like, I know there's some trying (to fuck over their own citizens if they dare to take the relief, mostly), but they just... don't have standing or whatever to dictate to the federal gov't what it does with federally owned debt. There's no way for them to go to court to get the process paused, or something like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49686 on: October 15, 2022, 11:03:35 pm »

Well, forgiving student debt is allocating federal money in essence, which technically is a power reserved for Congress. I expect that to be the argument.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #49687 on: October 16, 2022, 09:56:42 am »

The brief blurb I saw was that the challenge is based on damages it may cause to the loan companies that serve student loans. I can't verify this statement, though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49688 on: October 16, 2022, 11:10:00 am »

Seems kinda stupid for Republican Politicians to go after the Loan Relief bill. Now, maybe the Governors who have large Loan Providers as major industries in their state, OK. But the rest of them...are you TRYING to mobilize the Democrats against you!?
Mathematically, they're going to mobilize more voters Against them than they mobilize voters For them. It's only worthwhile if they can get bribe money campaign contributions out of it. Some probably can. Many probably can't.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49689 on: October 16, 2022, 11:35:14 am »

Others are trying to can it based on data that suggest it will decrease the wealth gap between Black and white families.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49690 on: October 16, 2022, 12:06:03 pm »

Wait are they openly saying that's why they're opposed to it?  That's... impressive.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49691 on: October 16, 2022, 12:19:45 pm »

Yes, openly. The reasoning is that if it lessens the wealth gap, it gives unmerited handouts on the basis of race, as in Affirmative Action.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49692 on: October 16, 2022, 01:05:02 pm »

Well... it is indeed unmerited handouts, but that's some serious mental gymnastics to say that it's on the basis of race instead of just being based on having an outstanding loan.  Any effects correlated with race are due to past (and present) systematic social structures, not directly to the loan program itself.

Not-so-ironically, I think it's due to a failing of the education system in general that permits such a confusion of ideas.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49693 on: October 16, 2022, 01:40:37 pm »

Others are trying to can it based on data that suggest it will decrease the wealth gap between Black and white families.
That is just Fucking Hilarious. Black people are LESS likely to get student loans or admission to college. Systemic bias is systemic.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49694 on: October 16, 2022, 02:02:18 pm »

Black people are, in fact, less likely to get student loans (not least because of the many scholarship and grant programs intended to address long-standing systemic biases). They are, however, extremely heavily represented in the lower end of people with student loans. I don't have the exact figures on hand right now, but something like 80+% of non-white student loan holders are covered by the forgiveness program, while only around 30% of white male holders are. That's part of why you see so many people screaming about how it isn't enough - well-to-do white male techbros are extremely overplatformed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 3311 3312 [3313] 3314 3315 ... 3567