Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3282 3283 [3284] 3285 3286 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230174 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49245 on: July 27, 2022, 09:33:14 am »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #49246 on: July 27, 2022, 09:43:09 am »

Does Xi have a death wish? Is he just stupid or what? No way is China doing well at all if it invades Taiwan. It's a heavily urbanized mountainous island with a large defense budget. The best defensive combination available. What is he smoking?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49247 on: July 27, 2022, 09:47:50 am »

Saving Face is a hell of a drug.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49248 on: July 27, 2022, 10:06:49 am »

I am all in favor of sending Pelosi to Taiwan.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49249 on: July 27, 2022, 10:16:02 am »

A lot of Republicans are, apparently.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #49250 on: July 27, 2022, 10:17:19 am »

I'm guess it's the classic "Go to Taiwan! But don't come back!", right?  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49251 on: July 27, 2022, 10:20:37 am »

I think it’s more because they don’t like China dictating US foreign policy.

Possibly also because the Biden administration has at least publicly said they don’t like the idea.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49252 on: July 27, 2022, 10:42:52 am »

As I said, in the abstract the idea of snubbing China in this way is appealing.

Just, we're already a bit busy right now.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49253 on: July 27, 2022, 01:18:07 pm »

I'm guess it's the classic "Go to Taiwan! But don't come back!", right?  :P
It might be more this...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49254 on: July 27, 2022, 03:52:15 pm »

So, I was wondering what purposes a Pelosi visit to Taiwan might have... Asked the internet and found this article, and the first paragraph says a lot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

China has one woman in their senior leadership (their Politburo is a 25-member group that is at or above the provincial-leadership level) and their lower political levels has about 8% women. In Taiwan, about 40% of their legislators are women.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49255 on: July 27, 2022, 04:17:13 pm »

So, I feel like we're diving out of US Politics and into Mainland China's politics, but those are real concerns.
Especially with the allegation that Mainland China made one of their prominent female athletes "disappear" because of her rape allegations against one of their leaders.
The MeToo movement doesn't exist in Mainland China.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49256 on: July 27, 2022, 10:07:35 pm »

I'm getting a lot of videos in my Youtube recommendations about China's Economic Decline, and this issue with people refusing to pay mortgages on unbuilt skyscraper homes, and a subsequent bank run on China's biggest bank since trust in the banks seem to be plummeting after people getting scammed by legal pseudo-banks that offered crazy high interest rates for the depositors.

I'm not sure how important these issues are on the global scale, but it does make me feel that China is an increasingly bad economic partner going forward.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49257 on: July 28, 2022, 03:06:37 am »

I would find that hysterically funny (no offense intended - it's the narrative of the recommendations-bot after all) if it wasn't part of the ramping up of the China hate-on in the US over the last decade or so. 

The economic story of the first half of this century is the decline of America from uncontested number one to a more or less distant runner up.  See the various figures and estimates here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_past_and_projected_GDP_(nominal)#Long_term_GDP_estimates for example.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #49258 on: July 28, 2022, 03:16:46 am »

China will torpedo any economic advantage it has over America if it invades Taiwan.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49259 on: July 28, 2022, 03:52:03 am »

No wonder the US military are the primary fear-mongers of the 'threat'.  Perhaps a last gasp gambit on their part to cling on to some semblance of economic superiority?  My personal bet is the China is too smart to try an invasion preferring the economic (or other 'soft') route   

And amphibious landings on developed countries... ha, ha, what sort of script is that.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 3282 3283 [3284] 3285 3286 ... 3567