Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3236 3237 [3238] 3239 3240 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242325 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48555 on: June 02, 2022, 12:04:08 pm »

I doubt they went in hot rage. Rather cold determination. IDK maybe they yell a lot while shooting but I doubt it.
That is also mental issues.

Know for a fact, right. Are you going to share your sources on that one? Utter nonsense.

We weren’t talking about school shootings, we were talking about people snapping. You do not need anger issues to attack someone.

Most people do not have ready access to a gun, so most people aren’t going to respond by shooting someone they get angry with, but angry people do stupid things, even if they only lose control momentarily. That is literally all it takes, and guns make it so much easier to kill in those moments.
But I was talking about school shootings. The conversation was about school shootings and how to hypothetically prevent them. Quit moving the goalposts.

Blanket banning guns will do more harm than good, and that is what you will need to do to prevent people just snapping at someone. You will get people stabbing or beating up other people in anger instead.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48556 on: June 02, 2022, 12:23:16 pm »

Harder to have a mass stabbing or beating than a shooting. I’d call that a win. We can’t change human nature, but we can mitigate the amount of damage it can cause.

Instead of being like “we can’t stop people getting mad, might as well let them arm themselves to the teeth as well.”
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:26:13 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48557 on: June 02, 2022, 12:24:16 pm »

You will get people stabbing or beating up other people in anger instead.
That's a clear improvement, ain't it? The latter are helluva lot less deadly.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48558 on: June 02, 2022, 12:28:16 pm »

The kind of person we need to be afraid of is the myopic ones who go around with murder ideations in their heads all day, ie you.

No one believes they'll commit a "Crime of Passion" right up until the minute they do.

Myopia means only seeing what's right in front of you, like accepting an oops as gospel.

Did you also believe martinuzz wants to literrally kill russians with his own hands. No because people are satisfied with superficial signifiers, the very kind I disrespect out of principle. I'd rather spew pus than be a hypocrite oopsie i didn't meanit. At least distinguish between murder, manslaughter and indifference/exilheration to dead. So far I've only ever said that I feel strongly some people should be beat up, and that some people dissappearing would make me happy. Shall I book a meeting with the optrician?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:25:46 pm by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48559 on: June 02, 2022, 12:31:16 pm »

In the four years I taught high school, there were two "credible threats" of mass shootings (in my years 2 and 3), in schools with 320 or so students -- small ones! They added security guards to the school, but the guards' actual job seemed to be watching to make sure that teachers didn't leave campus.

I cannot tell you how differently I would have felt if the students making these threats were just threatening to stab people or beat them up. The administrators telling us we needed to be human shields also would have had to make a different story. "Take a punch for your student" or "take down the kid with the knife" is doable without giving your life to the very rich kids we were "entrusted" with.

"Soak the bullets" is again, a different thing ... a very different thing ... All those years of studying and sacrificing, for "soak the bullets!"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48560 on: June 02, 2022, 01:15:29 pm »

Why do you people even stay in your weird country?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48561 on: June 02, 2022, 01:16:17 pm »

I doubt they went in hot rage. Rather cold determination. IDK maybe they yell a lot while shooting but I doubt it.
That is also mental issues.

Know for a fact, right. Are you going to share your sources on that one? Utter nonsense.

We weren’t talking about school shootings, we were talking about people snapping. You do not need anger issues to attack someone.

Most people do not have ready access to a gun, so most people aren’t going to respond by shooting someone they get angry with, but angry people do stupid things, even if they only lose control momentarily. That is literally all it takes, and guns make it so much easier to kill in those moments.
But I was talking about school shootings. The conversation was about school shootings and how to hypothetically prevent them. Quit moving the goalposts.

::)

So why were you talking about emotions and how you know for suresies that the vast majority of the billions of people on the planet are incapable of losing control if you’re only interested in school shootings?

Possibly because conversations are organic and change dynamically as they progress?

Or do you just want to “win” the conversation?

Blanket banning guns will do more harm than good, and that is what you will need to do to prevent people just snapping at someone. You will get people stabbing or beating up other people in anger instead.

Would you rather be shot or stabbed?

Would you rather be shot or punched/kicked?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48562 on: June 02, 2022, 01:25:55 pm »

Because if we leave we still have to pay our taxes to the US? Also poor people can't accord to move, and "non-weird" countries might not accept us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48563 on: June 02, 2022, 01:29:29 pm »

It's hard as hell to leave, for all sorts of reasons. Give me a reasonable means to move somewhere less bugfuck and not have to worry about my family in the process and I'd be out yesterday.

Unfortunately, I don't have the sort of money that can manage something like that.

Because if we leave we still have to pay our taxes to the US?
Only if you retain citizenship in the US. Revoke that and you're fine.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48564 on: June 02, 2022, 01:30:19 pm »

Well, to be honest, most of us who ended up here without the intent of killing a bunch of people and becoming very rich, were unwanted by the places our ancestors came from or forcibly removed. We're trash here and trash there. That's the long and the short of it, I think.

I can't imagine petitioning the English government: "Hey! Do you remember my family? Would you like a trans refugee?"
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48565 on: June 02, 2022, 01:32:37 pm »

They hired non-violent security guards for your school? Ours was mostly a system to place the police who were too violent to be on the streets in a "safe" job where they couldn't get into too much trouble. I tried to look up an example, but the nickname "Officer Slam" seems to be given to quite a few school police who regularly slam children into walls or floors.

Because if we leave we still have to pay our taxes to the US? Also poor people can't accord to move, and "non-weird" countries might not accept us.

Yeah, mostly that.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48566 on: June 02, 2022, 01:35:17 pm »

There's also "the grass is always greener" considerations - most places are just as screwed up in their own way.  Basically people are often more willing to stay with the devil they know, rather than risk the devil they don't.

Many people do have the means to leave, and still don't.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48567 on: June 02, 2022, 01:41:39 pm »

They hired non-violent security guards for your school? Ours was mostly a system to place the police who were too violent to be on the streets in a "safe" job where they couldn't get into too much trouble. I tried to look up an example, but the nickname "Officer Slam" seems to be given to quite a few school police who regularly slam children into walls or floors.

Yeah, these were basically just dudes who stood there, like the kinds of guys they have at certain grocery stores. These ones had nothing to do with disciplining children (see also: rich kids).

"Security officers" and "resource officers" are a whole other animal, like you're saying.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48568 on: June 02, 2022, 01:50:32 pm »

Good old cop furniture. They probably take naps standing up in those sunglasses, I can only imagine that they're monumentally bored.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48569 on: June 02, 2022, 01:57:35 pm »

I can't imagine asking the government: "Hey! Do you remember my family?"

I'd love to know if they actually do and what they'd say. Social services will have you running all over the place to transport their paperwork. But I recently learned, that, back in the day basically not so long ago but before my adult life, you could go to the tax offices, or their subsection in the communal admin or what have you, and have them assist you to file in your taxes, and they'd be able to see on the computer how much was on the checkings account from the person telling me this... EVEN the one in luxenburg. They still asked, just to give people a chance to commit a crime, like, literally by declaring something fraudoulous, or rather sarcastically, by giving you an unecessary opportunity to tell on yourself, since we all know tax fraud is commited by professionals.

Basically people are often more willing to stay with the devil they know

I'm not patriotic but I do have a weird attachment to the few hills, valleys and trees where I spent most of my life.

let
Pages: 1 ... 3236 3237 [3238] 3239 3240 ... 3568