Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3187 3188 [3189] 3190 3191 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4254458 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47820 on: March 04, 2022, 10:54:34 am »

The flipside of that, is unpopular, but correct, speech also gets stifled.

To combat that, you have to train yourself to still consume the offensive content, evaluate it in a cool and rational way, then either accept it despite disliking it, if it is indeed true-- or coolly rejecting it on merits, THEN show them the door.

Simply showing them the door, produces echo chambers, QED, QAnon, RedPill, et al. (more recently, "Truth", Trump's new social media platform.)

Something 'higher' than mere objection to the content, must rule the roost, or you just get a fractured society.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:57:31 am by wierd »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47821 on: March 04, 2022, 11:00:51 am »

Unfortunately, online communities are moving towards censorship. The Marketplace of Ideas is dying.
It was my reason for bringing up the Freedom of Speech issue, as I am well aware of the legal rights to free speech.
Free Speech is also not a universally protected right, even in the limited context of Government Action.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47822 on: March 04, 2022, 11:08:12 am »

Arguably, it's better to have all views on American Politics in one thread, where people can get a more balanced view of things, rather than have all the Republicans/Democrats/Europeans/etc. ejected from the thread, creating two echo chambers instead of one slightly hot thread.

I still have the ability to create threads, you know...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47823 on: March 04, 2022, 01:51:53 pm »

To combat that, you have to train yourself to still consume the offensive content, evaluate it in a cool and rational way, then either accept it despite disliking it, if it is indeed true-- or coolly rejecting it on merits, THEN show them the door.

Simply showing them the door, produces echo chambers, QED, QAnon, RedPill, et al. (more recently, "Truth", Trump's new social media platform.)

Something 'higher' than mere objection to the content, must rule the roost, or you just get a fractured society.

Qanon & anti-vaxxer communities grew rapidly before any sort of censorship on them happened. Censorship didn't cause that. If these groups were shown the door in the beginning, they would be nowhere near as big as they are now. I'd say it's caused by a general lack of education and critical thinking skills, followed by being exposed to a bunch of bad ideas.

I've heard a lot of people say that you need to read books on all sides of a story and that the truth is always somewhere in the middle. But if one of those books is full of truths, and one of those books is filled with lies, then you don't reach truth, you reach half lies. You need to be able to tell when someone is full of shit, and unfortunately a huge chunk of people seem incapable of doing that.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47824 on: March 04, 2022, 01:58:35 pm »

I think they should not ban them from entering the country. They should let them in, arrest them and put them in internment camps until Putin is gone.
Speaking as a USigan, WE DO NOT WANT TO REPEAT INTERNMENT CAMPS. (Never mind that we kinda already do down at the border.)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47825 on: March 04, 2022, 05:15:30 pm »

When an authoritarian leader cooperates with an external authoritarian leader, it is to bring exterior political force against interior political opponents.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I agree. But Biden doing nothing, nothing, nothing isn’t better.
I hate Trump, but I hated worse people criticising him for military spending — especially in light of this scenario, which I thought would happen, but China to Taiwan instead.
I never expected to be happy with with Biden, but some of the people Trump brought in horrified me. What happens when access to centralized federal databases is given to people who believe that certain segments of the population should be targeted for profiteering purposes? Trump's military spending and his demands that others increase their spending was good, but he did it for the wrong reasons. His intent was to have obedient power he could wield against internal opponents as well as external opponents.

Better idea: we should normalize calling American billionaires oligarchs too.
Yes!
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47826 on: March 04, 2022, 05:30:07 pm »

Better idea: we should normalize calling American billionaires oligarchs too.
Yes!

You misspelled Oilgarch.

Qanon & anti-vaxxer communities grew rapidly before any sort of censorship on them happened. Censorship didn't cause that. If these groups were shown the door in the beginning, they would be nowhere near as big as they are now. I'd say it's caused by a general lack of education and critical thinking skills, followed by being exposed to a bunch of bad ideas.
My point about belief is relevant here.
People don't join the Qanon & anti-vaxxer movements because they're thinking critically, and they don't join because they're under-educated.  They join those movements because they want to believe them.  They're basically religious organizations.
The Qanon stuff in particular is clearly nonsense on first blush.  If you're not looking for something crazy to latch onto, you'll dump it immediately.
Anti-vax is basically people just pissed off at always being told what to do by the Government.  If the Government started saying that the Vaccine has already been given to enough people and they weren't going to bother trying to distribute it anymore, the Anti-Vaxxers would mostly fizzle out.
And people unvaccinated would be protesting the unfair Government denial of access to the vital vaccine.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47827 on: March 04, 2022, 06:56:59 pm »

I just realized.

Russian game developers can still take money out if they are a developer on STEAM (at least if they sell trading cards and steam cash shop stuff, they get a small percentage of that income)

Steam has thus far refused to take a stance on this, meaning russians can use steam to launder money (which has been and can be done actually), which can then go to their invasion of ukraine.

I am hesitant to uninstall steam, but its making me want to. All my games are on steam sadly :|

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47828 on: March 04, 2022, 09:43:31 pm »

I am hesitant to uninstall steam, but its making me want to. All my games are on steam sadly :|

And so is S.T.A.L.K.E.R., hecc.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #47829 on: March 04, 2022, 10:09:33 pm »

Good advice when talking to sane people, but every single single Nazi, tankie, ancap, anprim, and pedo apologist is full of shit and doesn't deserve to be heard out.

I just realized.

Russian game developers can still take money out if they are a developer on STEAM (at least if they sell trading cards and steam cash shop stuff, they get a small percentage of that income)

Steam has thus far refused to take a stance on this, meaning russians can use steam to launder money (which has been and can be done actually), which can then go to their invasion of ukraine.

You would have changed nothing TBH.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:22:43 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47830 on: March 04, 2022, 10:27:58 pm »

It's as if someone is actively panicking and saying wild shit and you go to reassure them.  "Hey, it's okay.  Take a deep breath.  You're okay."  Let the literal chemicals clear out so they can think clearly.

"Counterpoint:  Everything is fucked up and villains are out to harm you.  They are jews and gross degenerates and communists.  They did this to you."
- This is predation and I do not support it.  They have a right to speak but I reserve the right to decry any company that supports such speech.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47831 on: March 04, 2022, 11:00:59 pm »

I just realized.

You would have changed nothing TBH.

yeah, thats why ended up not partly that and all my games are on steam. I can simply just not spend more on steam, but...no one on steam seems to care, and the few posts who bring it up on steam forums, even on steam reddit get deleted lol...so I take it that steam doesn't care at all and will in fact ban people who keep posting about it. It take a site like PCgamer or kotaku to bring it up or a bigger news group, not just one nobody person. Even if I stopped buying games, more harms the developers than steam (especially indie games) and it wouldn't even be a scratch in a wave in comparison to everyone else who would keep buying games on steam.

Though in the future, maybe keeping every game on steam probably not the best thing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47832 on: March 04, 2022, 11:26:04 pm »

I mean..... if hundreds of millions of dollars of Steam cards start being traded in Russia and Steam doesn't do anything to stop that, then I'd be on board for some Steam hate. But I really doubt that is going to happen.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #47833 on: March 04, 2022, 11:54:17 pm »

The Russian economy will merge with the TF2 hat economy
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47834 on: March 04, 2022, 11:57:02 pm »

I just realized.

I'm sorry, what? Are you seriously suggesting the Russian government is going to consider laundering Steam cards to fund its war? That's absurd.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 3187 3188 [3189] 3190 3191 ... 3569