Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3145 3146 [3147] 3148 3149 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202916 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47190 on: December 07, 2021, 08:31:37 am »

What is a NFT?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47191 on: December 07, 2021, 08:39:33 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:43:36 am by dragdeler »
let

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #47192 on: December 07, 2021, 09:08:44 am »

What is a NFT?
You pay lots of crypto to get an image that anyone can see but you still "own" it, wasting a bunch of energy in the process and damaging the environment and hogging GPUs. If you're gonna mine crypto at least use it to get a bunch of real money, that way it's not a fucking waste.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #47193 on: December 07, 2021, 09:33:50 am »

You don’t own the picture, nor the link to it. NFTs just have abritrary association to e.g. ungodly ugly images for the sake of flair. The NFT is just a receipt saying you have bought ”something”, and that something can’t be interacted with, so you own something of quite literally 0 intrinsic value. It is just as meaningless as it sounds.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #47194 on: December 07, 2021, 09:48:07 am »

You don’t own the picture, nor the link to it. NFTs just have abritrary association to e.g. ungodly ugly images for the sake of flair. The NFT is just a receipt saying you have bought ”something”, and that something can’t be interacted with, so you own something of quite literally 0 intrinsic value. It is just as meaningless as it sounds.
Yeah that's what I meant by "own".
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47195 on: December 07, 2021, 10:11:56 am »

Excuse me, its the latest n greatest in money laundering technology
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #47196 on: December 07, 2021, 10:54:23 am »

Speaking of countries with long-running campaigns of slavery and genocide, this is Ameripol, so let's check in on them.

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/1466917376084094985

So not only is the Biden administration not shutting down the Obama-era concentration camps, they're also expanding the Trump-era programs. While Trump was less effective at cruelty because his ego constantly got in the way, the cruelty was still the purpose. Now that we've got someone with a proven record of implementing policies that target minorities, we'll really see some evil.

It's a miracle that conservatives don't vote democrat, since they seem to be uniquely capable of giving them what the want without overtly challenging the status quo. It'd be pretty funny to see them back the ACLU on this one given the ACLU's stance on abortion, though.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #47197 on: December 07, 2021, 12:08:15 pm »

What is a NFT?
A token representing ownership of an image that people can right-click and save anyway.
It's kinda like a modern day version of rai stones
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47198 on: December 07, 2021, 12:49:51 pm »

What is a NFT?

Take the sheer pointlessness of furry adoptables, and combine it with the deliberate wastefulness of crypto mining.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47199 on: December 07, 2021, 12:55:46 pm »

What is a NFT?
A token representing ownership of an image that people can right-click and save anyway.
It's kinda like a modern day version of rai stones
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whatsaraiston
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #47200 on: December 07, 2021, 02:50:00 pm »

Whatsaraiston
Okay, so Rai stones are ridiculously large stone disks that was used as a form of currency used by local islanders in Micronesia. Since its impractical to lug around a 4 ton massive stone disk for a typical transaction, the locals simply agreed on ownership via oral tradition which became a ledger of ownership in a sense. "Bob owns the stone in the town square until he sold it to Jim for his daughter in marriage"

So like an NFT, someone claims ownership of something but not really, but there is a ledger of ownership that backs it up and it has value because people agree that it has value
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47201 on: December 07, 2021, 03:58:39 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:43:24 am by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47202 on: December 07, 2021, 05:58:12 pm »

It's a miracle that conservatives don't vote democrat, since they seem to be uniquely capable of giving them what the want without overtly challenging the status quo. It'd be pretty funny to see them back the ACLU on this one given the ACLU's stance on abortion, though.

That was a big reason the Democrats pushed Clinton so hard. He was further right than most of the party, so surely the conservatives would love him. Still one of the politicians who is most hated by conservatives, because he isn't one of them. Democrats keep getting more and more bigoted candidates, and gaining 0% of the conservative vote. Losing leftists, but it's the US so that's not really noticeable.

Whatsaraiston
Okay, so Rai stones are ridiculously large stone disks that was used as a form of currency used by local islanders in Micronesia. Since its impractical to lug around a 4 ton massive stone disk for a typical transaction, the locals simply agreed on ownership via oral tradition which became a ledger of ownership in a sense. "Bob owns the stone in the town square until he sold it to Jim for his daughter in marriage"

So like an NFT, someone claims ownership of something but not really, but there is a ledger of ownership that backs it up and it has value because people agree that it has value

Similar, except the stones actually existed. The NFT is just a jpeg and a link to it.  Plus some pyramid scheme stuff to keep the value from completely dropping out until the people who bought in early make their money.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 06:00:01 pm by Iduno »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47203 on: December 07, 2021, 08:58:59 pm »

Speaking of countries with long-running campaigns of slavery and genocide, this is Ameripol, so let's check in on them.

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/1466917376084094985

So not only is the Biden administration not shutting down the Obama-era concentration camps, they're also expanding the Trump-era programs. While Trump was less effective at cruelty because his ego constantly got in the way, the cruelty was still the purpose. Now that we've got someone with a proven record of implementing policies that target minorities, we'll really see some evil.

The border camps are at their lowest population ever, and the program that is being restored here is a "We can deport people coming from countries with major disease outbreaks". The ACLU isn't wrong to challenge it, but to claim it is something super evil and designed to be as cruel as possible isn't simple exaggeration. It is outright making shit up.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47204 on: December 07, 2021, 10:02:03 pm »

Though on the other hand, at this rate we're going to be the top disease risk to the rest of the world given our continued incompetence at mitigating the pandemic. The continued focus on other countries as if this is still a "foreign" disease, when it's now effectively become endemic and we have plenty of idiots actively helping it spread, seems a bit disingenuous at this point.

If anything, any countries that have some semblance of an actual plan for dealing with the pandemic should be the ones focusing more on keeping us Americans out. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3145 3146 [3147] 3148 3149 ... 3566