Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3125 3126 [3127] 3128 3129 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202904 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46890 on: November 19, 2021, 07:43:16 pm »

Nevermind the more tangential aspects (if the killer had been black or middle eastern, it's fairly likely they wouldn't have even survived to reach court, nevermind seen an acquittal if he had been chummy with ISIS instead of the proud boys), there was things related to it directly involved that just got bungled.

I must state that I've never really liked this argument because, well, yes. But so what? We can't solve hideous injustice by applying an equal injustice to everyone not affected by the dregs of the USA and their blue jumpsuits.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46891 on: November 19, 2021, 08:24:56 pm »

also the proud boys are political, not racist. in fact their current chairman is afro-cuban.

Nazi Germany couldn't have been racists.  in fact their leader wasn't even aryan.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46892 on: November 19, 2021, 08:29:04 pm »

Nevermind the more tangential aspects (if the killer had been black or middle eastern, it's fairly likely they wouldn't have even survived to reach court, nevermind seen an acquittal if he had been chummy with ISIS instead of the proud boys), there was things related to it directly involved that just got bungled.

I must state that I've never really liked this argument because, well, yes. But so what? We can't solve hideous injustice by applying an equal injustice to everyone not affected by the dregs of the USA and their blue jumpsuits.
I'unno if that's actually true, though. Far as I'm aware, most of the time the injust shit starts splattering over people more equitably, our political system somehow figures out a way to deal with it (at least for the people it cares about, anyway). Lot of our drug laws show that pretty clearly, just as an idle example, somehow when the middle to upper class drugs of choice start being considered, sentencing and judicial processes suddenly turn significantly more lenient.

Enough people get spiked by the broken shards of our justice system, maybe something might actually happen to fix it, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46893 on: November 19, 2021, 08:32:28 pm »

also the proud boys are political, not racist. in fact their current chairman is afro-cuban. im almost sure some of them are white supremist on the side but kyle himself showed no overt white supremacy in his actions.

Nazi Germany couldn't have been racists.  in fact their leader wasn't even aryan.

please use my full quote. i didnt deny their members are racist, just that the movement itself was started politically and is mainly political.

also hitler was a manlet
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:47:58 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46894 on: November 19, 2021, 09:11:49 pm »

The real interesting bit here is gonna be if prosecution makes any effort to appeal or any solid objection to the outcome. Not likely to succeed given it'd be hard to get anything to stick, but also a reasonable reaction given what a shitshow the judge made everything turn into.

If the prosecution just takes it without saying anything that'd be a reasonable sign that they people suspecting they were actively trying to sabotage the case might be on to something.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46895 on: November 19, 2021, 09:50:44 pm »

You can't appeal an acquittal.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46896 on: November 19, 2021, 10:21:31 pm »

Pretty much. There's niche cases where something similar comes up, but they don't appear to apply here.

If there's anything related to this that goes through the legal system, at this point, it'll be for charges the prosecutors didn't pursue or civil suits.

The prosecution was both hamstrung by the judge and notably bloody incompetent, if not outright intentionally throwing the case. US judicial system being what it is, neither of those is particularly unusual for judges (who are often even worse than this one) or prosecutors (who so often don't even need to find their own ass that they forget how to use a flashlight and a map when they do).

Goddamn reprehensible and a condemnation of our judicial system, but not unusual :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46897 on: November 19, 2021, 10:31:31 pm »

personally i have problems with lynching this kid for being stupid

There is a world of difference between facing zero (0) consequences for his actions and lynching. The phrase "being stupid" is also doing some very heavy lifting here.

As I told my friend, it's definitely a weird feeling to be less employable as a highly credentialed trans person than a 19 year old who shot a couple people dead. I hope he reads and studies a lot in order to justify that privilege in some way.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46898 on: November 20, 2021, 01:44:41 am »

The problem with leaving it at self-defense is that it doesn't take in the entire context. It's not self-defense when you run into a conflict ready to fight. If the tables had been flipped and Rittenhouse, 17, running around a riot with an AR-15 and getting blown away by another self-proclaimed "helper", I'd be saying the same thing. I really wish the prosecution had laid down more charges like reckless endangerment, because the fact people are dead aside, that's what this is. Reckless people going into an unstable situation and shit happens. It's like walking into a bar, seeing other people fighting and pulling your gun. Self-defense has been for a while now the excuse, the bald-faced lie to what's really going on. People want to fight and they want to kill with impunity. If we keep letting gun owners shield themselves with "self-defense" when it's patently obvious they made the decision to insert themselves into a violent situation, we're asking for more and more of it. What if Rittenhouse had managed to spray someone else who wasn't armed and wasn't attacking him, in his act of "self-defense." Would we be calling it the same thing and excusing more lose of life for his right to defend himself from a battle he sought? Is it self-defense when you want war?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 01:46:53 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46899 on: November 20, 2021, 01:50:12 am »

Even if it meets the standard of reckless endangerment, the judge threw out any evidence that the prosecution could have used to support that charge.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46900 on: November 20, 2021, 04:31:57 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:40:15 am by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46901 on: November 20, 2021, 10:39:17 am »

The problem with leaving it at self-defense is that it doesn't take in the entire context. It's not self-defense when you run into a conflict ready to fight.

Yeah. Pre-meditated "self-defense" is an obvious lie.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46902 on: November 20, 2021, 05:27:14 pm »

i was on the fence until i saw the video and wondered why the stupid kid left the auto shop and put himself in that situation

To put out a fire, apparently? (A fire that one of the people he ended up shooting had started.)

The problem with leaving it at self-defense is that it doesn't take in the entire context. It's not self-defense when you run into a conflict ready to fight.

He was asked by a friend to guard his used-car lot, or w/e. If someone has threatened to "fucking kill" him, and he's the one being chased down, then it is in fact self-defense.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46903 on: November 20, 2021, 05:57:14 pm »

The owner of the lot has testified under oath that he did not, in fact, ask Rittenhouse to guard the car lot, and in fact explicitly told him not to.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46904 on: November 20, 2021, 06:00:26 pm »

He was asked by a friend to guard his used-car lot, or w/e. If someone has threatened to "fucking kill" him, and he's the one being chased down, then it is in fact self-defense.

Nobody asked him to fucking be there. Nobody fucking wanted him there. The only person that wanted or needed him to be there was himself.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3125 3126 [3127] 3128 3129 ... 3566