Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242337 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

There's no point in ending a limited bloodbath in a contained region if that would start a global war killing 100 times as many
What's stopping russia from pulling this same shit 100 more times?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Maybe russians shouldn't be there in the first place then.  I say the western coalition extend the same courtesy.   There is no point to peace if atrocities are being done in the name of that 'peace'.  If the russians don't want to stop Assad from gassing his own people, they need to get the fuck out of the way.   

If the bear wants to lay down in the middle of a firefight and act as cover for one side they are going to get poked, and then shot.  How many more civilians are going to be gassed just because we're afraid of pissing off russia who happens to be perfectly happy to get in our way at every turn.
Did the Russians sign the, um, whatsit?  Thing that called for action to counter chemical weapons.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

/notes that his trying-to-be-helpful PM has been ninjaed in public. But still found it funny.

Ontopic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_Weapons_Convention ?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Maybe russians shouldn't be there in the first place then.  I say the western coalition extend the same courtesy.   There is no point to peace if atrocities are being done in the name of that 'peace'.  If the russians don't want to stop Assad from gassing his own people, they need to get the fuck out of the way.   

If the bear wants to lay down in the middle of a firefight and act as cover for one side they are going to get poked, and then shot.  How many more civilians are going to be gassed just because we're afraid of pissing off russia who happens to be perfectly happy to get in our way at every turn.
No, I don't want to join into your suicidal world war, thank you.

There's no point in ending a limited bloodbath in a contained region if that would start a global war killing 100 times as many
What's stopping russia from pulling this same shit 100 more times?
They probably don't want to join your suicidal world war, either.

Anyway, no, brinkmanship is BAD. I thought we all learned that lesson 55 years ago. 
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright then, time to establish a no fly zone over Syria. Syria and Russia want to abuse their toys, it's time to take the air away from them.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Sure, TBF. Everyone involved, including the US, appears to be ignoring it at the moment, though. Might as well not be there if no one intends to invoke it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright then, time to establish a no fly zone over Syria. Syria and Russia want to abuse their toys, it's time to take the air away from them.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:39:05 pm by Starver »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I certainly don't want world war 3 to happen, I'm within nukable range of an airbase.  I'm also currently unemployed and in prime position to be drafted.  I would fight if asked to, but don't have faith I'd be good at it and would serve the country better elsewhere.  I want the rest of the world to stop pretending this shit isn't happening that claims to be willing to act to stop this stuff from happening to actually, you know.   Show that they are indeed willing to act.

Everybody's gunna get fucked in Russia, Iran and ....what a quick google search tells me is just a single political party of Lebanon. vs the world.   But Russia and Iran would get fucked harder.  If putin doesn't realize that when the world stands up to the boogeyman, maybe his military would and overthrow him.  and Iran ain't doing shit by itself.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:45:09 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's very difficult to look at this missile strike as anything other than a stunt to drum up domestic support and create yet another sensational distraction. I hear the arguments about preventing Assad from using chemical weapons, and I agree, but I'm skeptical of any claim that this was justified and carried out because of some moral obligation to intervene against the use of chemical weapons. It was not very long ago that the United States was assisting Iraq in using chemical weapons in their war with Iran, and we seem to be have been perfectly fine with the other larger losses of life taking place in less important regions of the world without unilaterally launching missile strikes against sovereign governments.

I'd also like people to think what sort of a shitstorm this would be if the details of this situation were slightly different, with the US supporting Assad while Russia makes an attack like this on a government with no forewarning or declaration of war.

These are arguments that I would make even if the president ordering this wasn't a narcissistic orangutan whose defining characteristics are unscrupulousness and dishonesty, but the fact that it's the cheeto-in-chief ordering this warrants colossal skepticism on its own.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:19:22 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Oh, if nothing else it's entirely obvious trump doesn't give a single actual shit about any possible moral obligations involved. Dude's been trumpeting that to the heavens at least since obama saber rattled assad into signing the CWC. Whatever this is about, so far as our POTUS angle goes, it's got pretty much nothing to do with any concern about syria or its conditions. Be more obvious what that angle is once whatever comes next gets around to showing up.
Ask not!
Ask!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yea probably right.  This is probably all just a big smokescreen thrown up for Cheddar Pringle to say 'hey I can't possibly be a russian stooge, we hate eachother.'  Just can't help but think of the possibilities if it isn't.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Not like we don't have a pretty good idea what possibility we'd be looking at. It'd be either Iraq, Libya, or Cambodia round N+1, except with a less capable commander in chief and a functionally more or less crippled executive branch. Maybe syria would luck out and someone else would build and take the head of a coalition force before we fucked things up too badly.
Ask not!
Ask!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Limited airstrikes in one puppet dictator's country aren't going to blossom into Russia suddenly deciding to throw all caution to the wind and committing suicide by world war, that's ridiculous.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 3568