Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3034 3035 [3036] 3037 3038 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210362 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45525 on: July 12, 2021, 07:57:45 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 12:45:18 pm by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45526 on: July 12, 2021, 08:25:41 pm »

After watching enough NileRed, I'm fairly sure you can synthesize anything out of anything :P

anything

except love ._.
love chemicals can be synthesized, too, you just need a delivery mechanism
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45527 on: July 12, 2021, 08:32:17 pm »

I don’t see a problem with artificial meat. Then again I’m not religious anymore. I used to be a Christian but I don’t think there’s anything in the Bible against fake meat. I don’t know a whole lot about other religions regrettably. Theoretically lab grown meat would need less food and water than an animal, plus we could grow just the parts we eat and not have to worry about skinning/gutting/deboning carcasses

My fear with artificial meat is the same with most other artificial things: what it's actually made of. The lowest quality meat is still somewhere around 30% actual meat. The worst cuts, possibly expired, but still meat.

When the only objective is that it has the consistency and flavor of meat and has protein, well, I'm sure all kinds of things can meet that bar. Reminds me of a story once told to me by a guy who works in chemical manufacturing. One of the older artificial sweetners, I forget which one, was a byproduct of the rubber vulcanization process. Yet another byproduct of that process was later used by Subway to keep their bread firm and make it last longer.

No one actually knows what this shit does in the human body after decades of consuming it. The business cycle in the US doesn't allow for that kind of research and proofing before we approve it for human consumption. We just want to know if it will, more or less, instantly kill people. If it just shaves 10 to 20 years off someone's life ehhhhhh.....they were probably the bad ones anyways right?

So I'm increasingly leery of food items where the primary cook is a PHD Chemist.

I assume that meat vats aren't going to be synthesized from chemicals. It's going to be muscle and fat cells that can grow without limit, and they just keep feeding it nutrients and cutting off chunks as it grows.
This, this is what I think artificial meat will be, essentially growing the muscle without having to worry about dealing with an entire animal

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45528 on: July 12, 2021, 08:35:54 pm »

Yep. munching on cancer.  ;)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45529 on: July 12, 2021, 09:00:00 pm »

you just need a delivery mechanism

hot
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45530 on: July 12, 2021, 09:06:32 pm »

@Micro102
I was about to object to you calling it a carcinogen, but I reread what you said!  I guess it is kinda like cancer, though growing as lean muscle tissue instead of a tumor :P

Anyway, it absolutely boggles my mind that people would be queasy about artificial meat if they willingly eat processed meat.  It's like that meme...
Quote from: I don't know where this is from originally
"Is that ham processed? If it's processed I don't want it"
Ma'am, that is an eleven pound whole slab of deli ham. It has no bones, fat, or connective tissue. It is an amalgamation of the meat of several pigs, emulsified, liquefied, strained, and ultimately inexorably joined in an unholy meat obelisk. God had no hand in the creation of this abhorrence. The fact that this ham monolith exists proves that God is either impotent to alter His universe or ignorant to the horrors taking place in his kingdom. This prism of pork is more than deli meat. It is a physical declaration of mankind's contempt for the natural order. It is hubris manifest. We also have a lower sodium variety if you would prefer that.

Obviously that's a joke, and it hurt my point by exaggerating for comedic effect.  While mostly people rarely think about the process behind processed meat, they definitely know how unnatural it is for meat to be so convenient and boneless.  When they really think about it for a second, I'm sure they realize that lab-grown "cancer" meat (hehe) is no less natural than a hotdog.  It might even be a lot safer, since it's a very specific process that *doesn't* involve pureeing miscellaneous organs and spare bits of an animal raised on a tight budget.

I'm totally ready to eat texturized bug protein, but I'd much rather eat a lean straightforward meat that didn't spend years as part of a pig's butt.  In the meantime, I still eat hotdogs and other mystery meats sometimes.  They're tasty, cheap, and probably not *that* unhealthy in proper moderation.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45531 on: July 12, 2021, 10:37:47 pm »

From the USDA public list of meat and poultry labeling terms:
Spoiler: kinda gross (click to show/hide)
In the eyes of modern agriculture, a pig is only so much edible, organic matter in an inconveniently structured package.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #45532 on: July 13, 2021, 12:08:21 am »

Yikes. I went to sleep so I missed what happened after my last post. Sorry if I accidentally added fuel to the fire.

There's a few genetic engineering projects out there that aim to grow crops off of seawater, the idea being the sea has plenty of free real estate if you can overcome that obstacle.
Live and drink, friend.
I honestly think lab-grown/artificial meat is the next big thing.  Meat needs more water (and food) than plants do, after all.  It's on the cusp of proper mass production, and gets cheaper every year.

I do expect the religious to reject it, though, as not being "natural" enough.
Is the water consumption by animals and plants that big of a deal? Pardon my ignorance. I know that almonds or whatever grown in California require a monstrous irrigation system to sustain, but I know that for cattle at least, they get practically all their water intake from the grass they eat, and whatever other green water comes down. Cattle are pretty useful for waste reduction too, given that they turn all those calories humans can't eat from silage like corn stalks into human-edible calories. Which is useful if your concern is feeding a population in a manner that's not wholly hostile to the environment.

I think the only premise for Christians rejecting artificial meat is the whole seed-mixing thing in Deuteronomy, but you'd have to have a very specific interpretation for that. I'd figure most opposition would be from Alex Jones types who think that the government/corporations are putting crazy chemicals into the food.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45533 on: July 13, 2021, 01:20:56 am »

I think pigs and chickens are the only animals which provide a better protein/landarea ratio than plants do. Cows, although mostly subsisting on grass, require a lot of land. Pigs can live off denser crops and need less space. Not sure about water, though.

Then again, those ratios are moot if we are linking together proteins in a lab. The land/water-effeciency of that process would no doubt be way better, and if factorized, faster and cheaper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45534 on: July 13, 2021, 01:29:44 am »

Personally I don't count fish because I've caught so many fish, by my own hand, tempting them with meat.
Meat that I caught by casting nets into a shrimp-pool.

Reality sucks a lot, but I... hh.

Right, what is the ideal arrangement for humanity?

Beans in the short term, and lab meat as a possible future.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45535 on: July 13, 2021, 02:17:20 am »

Better:  Live like the products of nature that we are, and stop trying to be artificially removed from all the consequences there of.  The attempt at such removal has seriously fucked the planet 7 ways to sunday.

So, eat the meat. Just accept the trichina that comes with it.

Live in the forest. Just accept the bears eating you.

That sort of thing.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #45536 on: July 13, 2021, 02:27:19 am »

I don't think there's any sensible Christian opposition to artificial meat (I'm not a *professional* Biblical scholar or anything, but I think I probably know my way around it better than many). You'd probably see more people who are Christians rejecting it (in the US anyway) but there'd probably be suspiciously strong correlation with also distrusting science and living in the South.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45537 on: July 13, 2021, 02:32:25 am »

The real correllation is with conservatism in general, which has a pillar of "Change is BAD".

Meat from a vat is biochemically identical (more or less) to what comes off the cow.  That wont stop certain groups from deriding it as being the worst thing since Cher's last album.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45538 on: July 13, 2021, 02:34:58 am »

If it’s biochemically identical, there should be no problem

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45539 on: July 13, 2021, 02:39:22 am »

If it passes the taste test, it'll be fine-
Because it will be healthier!
Meat which is grown specificially to be meat will be healthier.  Yes it is "unnatural", but unnaturally nutritious!

Jokes aside, I see no downside to lab-grown meat.
Or you can continue to eat
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As I do.  I like eating strange meat!
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 3034 3035 [3036] 3037 3038 ... 3566