Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2992 2993 [2994] 2995 2996 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4219988 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44896 on: April 22, 2021, 03:12:40 am »

This is a total tax burden of about 21-22%.
I really don't understand why people scream about high taxes in the US.

21-22% is REALLY low tax rate. People on the minimum wage spectrum over here pay about 40% of their income to taxes and (mandatory) health care insurance. If you're at median income, make that 50%, if you earn even more, think 70%.
That doesn't fit the data available online:

That being said, dutch tax rates are surprisingly high for their brackets, very atypically so as far as Europe goes (just compare them to those in neighbouring countries).

Given low dutch corporate tax rates I'd say you're being taken for a ride by your govt... 🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:19:46 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44897 on: April 22, 2021, 03:37:33 am »

Taxes are that high if you add the 'social premiums' that are already subtracted from your pay by your employer even before it's paid to you.
(Those are used to pay out unemployment benefits (WW) and prolonged sick leave costs for everyone that needs them)

To make things nice and uncomplicated, those social premiums can be partially subtracted again from income tax if you only have 1 employer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:44:12 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44898 on: April 22, 2021, 09:17:49 am »

Chauvin may have cause for appeal due to Maxine Waters' comments.

The judge is correct. Comments of that sort have been used as grounds to file an appeal in the past. In this case, the evidence was so thoroughly one sided that it is unlikely to matter - indeed, the incompetence of the defense is more likely to be used for appeal anyway.

At worst, the result would be a mistrial resulting in another conviction or a plea bargain. Anyone actually using this as a justification to dismiss with prejudice would be somebody who was gping to do that without grounds.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #44899 on: April 22, 2021, 09:28:24 am »

jfc Nancy just needs to retire.

"Old white person opens mouth. Thinks they're helping. Isn't helping."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44900 on: April 22, 2021, 09:32:18 am »

jfc Nancy just needs to retire.

"Old white person opens mouth. Thinks they're helping. Isn't helping."

"Old woman yells at cloud"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44901 on: April 23, 2021, 12:32:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:30:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

psibomber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44902 on: April 26, 2021, 06:28:20 am »

I don't think one side particularly pushes for voter suppression as an actual goal but if you think they are being manipulated to or they do it out of some misled form of racial, social, or cultural discrimination, well, that could be possible, but I respectfully believe that more American citizens today want equality for all more than yesterday.
The last bit is true, but that's because the GOP and american conservatism in general is physically outnumbered in the US; voter suppression and depression is literally what's keeping them as politically relevant as they are. GOP politicians and pundits, and their predecessors, absolutely are pushing for voter suppression as an actual goal, and have been since basically the founding of the bloody country, largely because they realize their odious horseshit of an ideology is unpopular and cannot be realized if everyone has a say. That was true at the time of the 3/5ths, it was true during Jim Crow, it's true now when you have open calls among US conservatives for fascism and the deconstruction of american democracy alongside constant attempts to disenfranchise citizens and make the voting process more difficult.

There is not even the shade of both sides when it comes to voter suppression and a healthy electoral system in the US. The GOP and those before it have been attempting to sabotage our democracy for political gain for decades to centuries, and they're only getting more desperate about it as public sentiment builds further against them and the numbers to enforce that continues to grow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(United_States)

Overall I agree but there is more historical nuance to the situation that people do not usually know about the debate the GOP weren't originally the party of slavery, jim crow, etc. the Democrats were but obviously they are not the same people today, the Democrats did a historical push away from that bad history and always adamantedly state that the parties switched. A lot more of you know more about the switch than I do and are passionate about it, go ahead and go over the great migration, the hippie generation, the dixiecrats, I have heard it all and researched it myself but I have other opinions to add.

The GOP weren't the original party of slavery, but neither were the Democrats, they have both changed drastically. People should take this information in positively and instead of push for a realization that neither party has to be the party of that history and that people can be more rational about american politics.

Do not fear rationality and truth, the reason american politics is the way it is I think is because both the founding party of the nation (and the other party that split off from it) finds themselves entwined with lies. Some individuals have genuine, passionate, good feelings about who they are and others want to present a position of power, act edgier, more devious, I guess. That exists in both parties it is just easier to see and to pick out when you distance yourself from it.

But observe what happens when there are lies people have to frantically cover them up, tell people to shut up, threaten them, kill them, etc. It's a whole lot of work and I think it's tragic, each generation is born innocent of the sins of the fathers yet each generation has to feel obligated to join their fathers, lie, cheat, steal, and kill for them. I see a repeated rant on several internet forums recently "We have no chance of changing this generation, we've already given up on them, we will go for teaching their children and changing their children's side" I think they have done that over and over again throughout history and over and over again this has been the result.

It is a never ending cycle, and that is politics, it is the perversion of truth to keep winning over the innocent, yet ignorant new generation that has never been exposed to a rote set of propaganda, repeated over and over again, and it works each time because people have to learn before they know any better.

Some People believe that most people don't learn, don't know any better, and perhaps believe that the harsh truth of reality that they therefore don't deserve freedom. They feel that most people deserve to die and suffer. They think they are special and excluded from these harsh judgements on other people. They have no effect if they are not in power, but some of them are unfortunately in power, through trust funds, through inheritances, wills, corporations, nobility, and other entities that allow power to be passed after death.

I think the tragedy is that even they are in the process of learning, they are sheltered from the world through the process of their privilege and whatever age or whatever sinful actions they have done there are common children elsewhere that have had the next revelation they haven't had, that you just live life, bear with it, strive above that and succeed. To try to destroy other people in the process of learning you destroy yourself, give yourself issues to stress over, like covering up crimes, covering up lies, etc. On an objective stance it's a lot of work and time wasted.

I think the tragedy further is that their Forefathers, who earned their wealth and established a position of power that they couldn't enjoy themselves after a lifetime of hard work and dying, and could only pass down to their children to enjoy the fruits of their labor, knew that revelation and had to have the grit to withstand people in order to have them work together and create wealth, create nations, innovate, and do great works.

Their Children lack that grit and instead lash out emotionally, harming the people, sometimes with discrimination like through race, sex, or culture, and other times with no apparent discrimination, but it is still negative, it is random harm. That harm multiplied through power and big moves makes a lot of mess.

I don't believe it will ever change even if more people learn. It's just, the way we've been going, we will never reach utopia. We might take longer to reach even a level of luxury, entertainment, and comfort even People used to enjoy and could have enjoyed if people just withstood each other. There's a lot of nuanced footwork all across the nation and across the world that needs to be done by real people every day. They have to drag themselves out of bed fighting with themselves and fighting with their own instincts to just say fuck it. Throw a wrench into all of that and it doesn't take much for people to tantrum spiral like dwarf fortress.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44903 on: April 26, 2021, 09:20:58 am »

Their Children lack that grit

Indeed, there is an increasing number of books, articles, etc. on the concept of "grit" and how it's something that's missing from recent generations, at least in the US.

In a completely unrelated topic, I'm really wondering when we're going to get that health care reform that divorces health insurance from employment. I don't even care about the mechanism (e.g., public vs private insurance), I just want the option to have consistent insurance. Not to mention COBRA is expensive and complicated.

I'm in the middle of switching jobs, and one side effect is a change in insurance provider.  Due to that change, my deductible gets reset.  Literally thousands of dollars.  Forget about "making care affordable", we should have had a "making insurance portable" act.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #44904 on: April 26, 2021, 09:30:45 am »

I'm sorry, kindly enlighten me on where the lack of grit lay in having to get a degree in something you don't care about to work three part-time jobs with no health insurance to pocket 10% of your monthly savings in order to get ahead of the check engine light on your car is, or why the youth is fighting so hard for political change in the realm of racial and gender equity? Why they're trying so much harder to understand who they are and what their emotions are in a veritable deluge of regularly garbage information?

We have grit, it's 'grit out teeth and keep working just to make it to a future we don't believe in.'

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44905 on: April 26, 2021, 10:56:00 am »

Their Children lack that grit

Indeed, there is an increasing number of books, articles, etc. on the concept of "grit" and how it's something that's missing from recent generations, at least in the US.

Whenever I hear stuff like this, I immediately think of this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44906 on: April 26, 2021, 11:19:35 am »

"Grit" is just code for "you're inferior human beings." It's bullshit when it's applied to an entire generation. It's just an attempt to deflect from a world someone else created and is asking us to survive in while changing nothing about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44907 on: April 26, 2021, 12:05:09 pm »

There are certain global events which will affect you differently depending on when you were born, and that can in turn have an effect on the personality of an entire "generation", on average at least. The millennials got to grow up just in time for a massive recession and had to come up with ways to survive in that world. The way I see it, they're the grittiest age group that's around right now.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44908 on: April 26, 2021, 12:13:15 pm »

the GOP weren't originally the party of slavery, jim crow, etc. the Democrats were but obviously they are not the same people today

Biden is old enough to have worked alongside those who opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He opposed school busing because it would create a "racial jungle". His policies have changed since, in keeping with the party, but I'm not sure how much Biden is a different person from then.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:15:44 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44909 on: April 26, 2021, 12:41:03 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:30:34 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 2992 2993 [2994] 2995 2996 ... 3566