Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2924 2925 [2926] 2927 2928 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230716 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43875 on: February 13, 2021, 01:57:35 am »

Is it just me, or is Qanon just a fusion of the older “blood libel” and “Protocols of the Elders of Zion”, with a little saviour motif tacked on for good measure? Which does raise a rather concerning question: is anti-Semitism back in vogue? It’s kind of normalising this type of conspiratorial thinking, and the leap from “the Elites” to “the Jews” isn’t so great, particularly given the historical precedents around these themes.

Any signs of the Republican base become explicitly anti-Jewish? Or is that still taboo?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43876 on: February 13, 2021, 02:01:17 am »

is anti-Semitism back in vogue?

It never left, and is certainly not limited to the Right.

In somewhat related news: https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/fans-raise-pedro-pascal-tweets-amid-gina-carano-firing/

Apparently that's "denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 02:18:15 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43877 on: February 13, 2021, 03:16:56 am »

That's the Democratic and media stance, though, not Republican. Trump's stance was that they might not actually be the parent, and are using the child to get in, then send the child back and repeat. Or worse, they're human traffickers. Better to care for them separately, since it's illegal to detain them with adults, and the alternative is to set them both free into the country.

We really need to not be separating children below the age of five from adult caretakers as a matter of policy. I don't know what the solution is, but what we're doing right now is really, really bad.

Yes, QAnon is a blood libel thing. I don't know about anti-semitism in particular; it's felt to me like a lot of old prejudices have come roaring back now that Biden is in power. Maybe just lacking that feeling of solidarity. White straight (etc.) middle class got theirs and so the coalition's dead.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43878 on: February 13, 2021, 04:09:12 am »

Regarding that Instagram post, hating someone for their political views seems pretty legitimate to me. Or am I supposed to give Nazis, Stalinists, and the Khumer Rouge a pass now? On the other hand, trivialising the Holocaust by equating Nazi persecution of Jews with Democrat disdain for Republicans is ridiculous. I’d have fired them for being a nut-job, rather than for PC reasons, but the right call was made either way.

I’m also aware of the remarkable diversity of anti-Semitic views. It’s all pretty taboo though, so it’s practitioners need to “launder” it with appeals to more acceptable views such as anti-Zionism or anti-capitalism. Islamic anti-Semitism is really it’s own kettle of fish, and doesn’t really belong on the Western Left/Right spectrum. The real question I’m getting at is: how deep is the connection between traditional anti-Semitism and this modern conspiratorial movement?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:16:19 am by thompson »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43879 on: February 13, 2021, 09:02:15 am »

From what I've read (which was not much to be honest) it wasn't a single post that did it, more a series of shitty things she's said over the last year or so. This one was more the straw that broke the camels back as it were.

In a hilarious lack of self-awareness tho, folks upset by her getting 'cancelled' are now unsubbing from Disney+ in protest. Because 'cancel culture' is only ok if we do it dammit!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #43880 on: February 13, 2021, 09:04:39 am »

That instagram post is ”blue lives matter” levels of (intentional) delirium. Trying to equal traits you are born with and can’t change, being black or a jew (at least from the point of the persecutors, I reckon few anti-semites would let an atheist/converted jew go, the nazis for sure didn’t), with traits you are not and can change, working as a cop and having republican political views respectively.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43881 on: February 13, 2021, 09:46:11 am »

That instagram post is ”blue lives matter” levels of (intentional) delirium. Trying to equal traits you are born with and can’t change, being black or a jew (at least from the point of the persecutors, I reckon few anti-semites would let an atheist/converted jew go, the nazis for sure didn’t), with traits you are not and can change, working as a cop and having republican political views respectively.
+1
People aren't born with political views. People are born jewish. Making that comparison is indeed "denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities". (although I would change that to '...and/or religious identities', because being born of the jewish race does not make one automatically be of the jewish faith. I am a dutch agnostic jew. I have never been religious in any form or shape, except that one carnival festival where I dressed up as Jesus and had many followers give me free beers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:52:47 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43882 on: February 13, 2021, 12:38:45 pm »

I dressed up as Jesus and had many followers give me free beers.
So if water gets turned to wine, what does beer get transmuted to? Cognac?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43883 on: February 13, 2021, 12:43:33 pm »

THe water turns to wine, the planty bits remain. You know have double alkohol, but it's shit
Love, scriver~

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43884 on: February 13, 2021, 12:45:17 pm »

Was Gina Carano's post in response to another post? Where is the context?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43885 on: February 13, 2021, 01:09:38 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:39:17 pm by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43886 on: February 13, 2021, 01:17:11 pm »

It becomes That Ol' Janx Spirit...

(Or, a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster if Jesus accidentally twitches...)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43887 on: February 13, 2021, 01:58:12 pm »

Separations have already been halted. It was one of Biden's first acts in office. Reuniting the previously-separated children with caretakes will take time, particularly since the previous administration was consciously using them as a terror threat to keep "undesirables" out, and didn't keep great records. So they'll still need housed until then.

There is also a need, for which a facility is being reopened, to house children who come over the border with no guardian whatsoever. These unaccompanied minors cannot be sent vack because they're unable to take care of themselves and quite probably have legit reasons to cross the border. They can't ne sent onward because there's nobody here to take care of them. So they have to be housed while we figure out the proper action.@
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #43888 on: February 13, 2021, 03:55:18 pm »

Trump got acquitted (again)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43889 on: February 13, 2021, 03:56:19 pm »

0 Dem Ns, 7 Repub Ys: Burr, Cassidy, Collins, Murkowski, Romney, Sasse, and Toomey.
Pages: 1 ... 2924 2925 [2926] 2927 2928 ... 3567