Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2914 2915 [2916] 2917 2918 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4237501 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43725 on: February 01, 2021, 02:16:31 pm »

If someone that, say, help people buying shoes, shows up drunk to work, that person will get fired at once.

Why this do not apply to say, a president. I mean, not firing a president for being drunk, in its free time a president should do almost anything anyone else could. But showing up for office or trying to execute functions while drunk should be at least an offense.
The trick is basically an issue of what would be an offense, probably. The, like, official job duties page for a president want ad would more or less read <" ">; at the end of the day they can basically do whatever the hell they want to, including nothing. There's no clock in at 9, must file form X after discharging duty Y thing going on with the position. The position has constitutionally mandated roles, but there's no mandate to perform them in any particular way, including "at all" or "while sober".

Far as I'm aware there's just no explicit, enumerated, "this will get you fired" action for a POTUS. None. There's a hell of a barrier to entry, but there's pretty much no job with lower bars to pass to avoid getting shitcanned.

Changing that would be a pretty interesting proposition, but also one that would probably require the majority of the GOP at a minimum to politically or literally keel over dead, first.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43726 on: February 01, 2021, 02:23:31 pm »

The bar to avoid getting shitcanned is "DAE Congress big mad", which is highly variable. At this point though, that bar has been snapped in half beating the American left into a coma while in a frothing rage, then the remains incinerated on the altar of the Icon of Trump the Corona.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43727 on: February 01, 2021, 02:52:20 pm »

Speaking of climate change, it looks like salps may be able to help with the algae problem :)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43728 on: February 01, 2021, 06:21:23 pm »

If someone that, say, help people buying shoes, shows up drunk to work, that person will get fired at once.

Why this do not apply to say, a president. I mean, not firing a president for being drunk, in its free time a president should do almost anything anyone else could. But showing up for office or trying to execute functions while drunk should be at least an offense.

Then Ulysses S Grant would've gotten nothing done

Grant wasn't the drunkard that he's portrayed as. Most of the famous incidents of him being drunk on duty were actually illness that the press (which almost always favored a more politically connected general, and feared Grant being placed in the top slot over their favorite) seized on to slander him.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43729 on: February 01, 2021, 06:28:27 pm »

Then Ulysses S Grant would've gotten nothing done

Grant wasn't the drunkard that he's portrayed as. Most of the famous incidents of him being drunk on duty were actually illness that the press (which almost always favored a more politically connected general, and feared Grant being placed in the top slot over their favorite) seized on to slander him.

That's not slander, that's libel :V
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43730 on: February 02, 2021, 09:38:46 am »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43731 on: February 02, 2021, 11:32:25 am »

Schumer and McConnell reached an agreement to delay the trial itself until the 8th (i.e. next week), partly to give Trump's team time to figure out a defense, and partly to give the Senate time to confirm more cabinet positions before getting stuck in the trial for a while.

As to the $2k thing, is the objection about the amount of money or the timing?

For the former, the $2k was a discussion before the $600 agreement was reached so I don't think it's completely out there to be talking the additional $1400 now. (That said, I do think once the December bill was reached they should have changed their talking points / framing.)

For the latter, they really doing it pretty much as fast as they can - remember that the Senate didn't technically flip until the 21st of January, crafting the reconciliation format needed to do filibuster-free votes requires jumping through hoops that takes some time, and that they don't have the votes to nuke the filibuster. At this point it'll likely be another several weeks (late February or March) before they can get the reconciliation bill fully passed. Reconciliation is an awkward process.

(Though yes, they were a mixture of naive, lying, and/or 'truthinessing' to say it'd happen immediately. It could if there was R support, but that's a pipe dream.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43732 on: February 03, 2021, 06:56:10 pm »

Canada has labelled the Proud Boys a neo-fascist terrorist organisation. Canadian bank accounts of known members have been frozen, and the Canadian authority can also seize their posessions.
Members of the organisation that commit violence in Canada will be charged with terrorism.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43733 on: February 03, 2021, 07:53:30 pm »

When you've angered the Canadians, that's when you know you've fucked up.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43734 on: February 03, 2021, 08:31:57 pm »

How hard is it to anger the Swiss, though? Are they cool with fascist money still?

Joe Biden's going to get us enough vaccine to vaccinate 300 Americans.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:41:47 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43735 on: February 03, 2021, 08:51:18 pm »

How hard is it to anger the Swiss, though? Are they cool with fascist money still?
I think they get upset if you carve the wrong avian-type clock out of unholed cheese and bad chocolate with the incorrect knife-blade. Or write about them in a stereotypical manner without using at least five different languages. But they won't actually attack you with their home-stored military weapons until they've conducted a referendum about it and announced the vote by the blowing of a long wooden wind instrument and ullulated wordless singing.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43736 on: February 03, 2021, 09:33:55 pm »

The purge continues.

Biden demanded the resignation of all of Trump's appointees to the, which mediates between the government and Federal employee unions. The two who refused to resign were promptly fired.

Meanwhile, the Department of Defense determined that Trump appointees to civilian oversight boards were dangerously incompetent, and responded by firing virtually the entirety of the boards.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:08:08 am by Lord Shonus »
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43737 on: February 03, 2021, 11:23:26 pm »

What do you think about that?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43738 on: February 04, 2021, 12:04:09 am »

Most of those appointees were blatantly unqualified or else were put in specifically to destroy the institution they were appointed to. They need to be gone.

Also, borked the first source link and edited the whole thing out accidentally, will fix after I track it down again. EDIT is not REPLY.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43739 on: February 04, 2021, 05:42:13 am »

Pages: 1 ... 2914 2915 [2916] 2917 2918 ... 3567