Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2900 2901 [2902] 2903 2904 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242249 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43515 on: January 20, 2021, 03:26:27 pm »

Still, I still think of trump supporters as not even human, or at least way less than human. it isnt even the capitol thing, they always want to kill muslims and hate homosexuals, transgenders, anyone who isn't white, straight and doesnt worship christianity.

Maybe you didn't realize some of his supporters are those things?

I've definitely seen people at his rallies holding signs saying "Gays/Blacks/Latinos/Jews for Trump". I've also seen muslim pundits that support him. Not sure about transgender individuals, but it stands to reason there'd be much less of them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:32:43 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43516 on: January 20, 2021, 03:33:34 pm »

No, they aren't, and the attitude you're spewing here is exactly the same as the one you are decrying.

The are humans, they are U.S. citizens, and they hold different beliefs and values than you do, and the whole damned system here exists so that they have a voice.

The invasion of the capital was a serious issue, and it came about because of charged rhetoric like what you just posted.  Grow. Up.

Fascism is certainly a "different value" than mine, and it must not be tolerated. Otherwise you get fascists performing insurrections, as they did, because they believe in that sort of thing. It has nothing to do with "division" - being divided from fascists is a good thing.

Yeah, sure, that's equilvalent to: "We should kill over seventy million people, most of whom voted in favor of Trump over substantially lesser issues than 'muh fascism'."  Your opinions are sensationalist garbage, and should die in the same hole as Trump's fascism.

Don't bother responding, I'm done with you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:35:43 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43517 on: January 20, 2021, 03:36:53 pm »

"Turkeys for Christmas"...

(There are all sorts. And personally I am cynical when it's obvious that almost all the placards held up in publicity shots were clearly created by the rally organiser and handed out to anyone who is happy to hold it, and they probably hold a few "<Ethnic> for <Foo>" signs specifially for the few Ethnics who turned up to see Foo, whether or not they're representative of any such grass-rooting or networked with fellow EfFs...)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #43518 on: January 20, 2021, 03:42:14 pm »

"advocating violence" gets folks on the ban list
So don't do that and maintain a chill composure
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43519 on: January 20, 2021, 04:00:09 pm »

This is maybe the most obnoxiously religious inauguration in modern history.

I didn't watch either inauguration, but didn't Trump also have priests present at his and mention religion directly in his speech?  Honestly, I've never watched an inauguration so I don't know if it's common practice in American politics or something recent.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43520 on: January 20, 2021, 04:10:53 pm »

Seeing that according to census data the majority of the country is christian..

One would think the president swears over a copy of the constitution instead of the bibble, but whatever.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43521 on: January 20, 2021, 04:30:24 pm »

It is pretty common for the inauguration to have a lot of religious (specifically Christian) trappings, for good or ill. I'd argue we usually just don't pay much attention to the inauguration (beyond maybe the president's speech), but given current circumstances it got more attention and scrutiny.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43522 on: January 20, 2021, 05:22:21 pm »

Well biden also came out at one point and said his faith was strong and is a lot of the reasons he does the things he does in politics. So in that case, he has a strong christian faith. I'd be fine if it was a muslim president and it was a Quran, or someone who was fully athiest and just focused on the constitution or something. Or whatever religion or belief. Though I think in the US its always the bible, but eventually it'll change to probably a Quran since its certain a muslim will be president one day and that will be huge.

To me, focusing on whether its a Quran, a bible, any religious text or no religious text at all is kinda pointless. Everyone has their own belief (or no belief) and its more what they say and do that matters more.

Though trump did the bible thing and he definitely isn''t religious at all lol.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43523 on: January 20, 2021, 05:40:48 pm »

Biden is a practicing Catholic as far as I know, so it makes sense that his inauguration would be more religious.

Anyways:
No, they aren't, and the attitude you're spewing here is exactly the same as the one you are decrying.

The are humans, they are U.S. citizens, and they hold different beliefs and values than you do, and the whole damned system here exists so that they have a voice.

The invasion of the capital was a serious issue, and it came about because of charged rhetoric like what you just posted.  Grow. Up.

Fascism is certainly a "different value" than mine, and it must not be tolerated. Otherwise you get fascists performing insurrections, as they did, because they believe in that sort of thing. It has nothing to do with "division" - being divided from fascists is a good thing.

Yeah, sure, that's equilvalent to: "We should kill over seventy million people, most of whom voted in favor of Trump over substantially lesser issues than 'muh fascism'."  Your opinions are sensationalist garbage, and should die in the same hole as Trump's fascism.

Don't bother responding, I'm done with you.
That's not what MSH is saying, MSH is saying that tolerating fascism is bad. There's no requirement to reach an olive branch out to literal fascists.

Edit: obviously not *everyone* who voted for trump supported his fascism. But many did, and many others voted for him because they agreed with his abhorrent policies. It's not bad to hold people accountable for their views.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43524 on: January 20, 2021, 05:53:13 pm »

From what I recall, the historical context behind the separation of church and state was informed partly by the older historical contexts that sparked the Protestant Reformation, reinforced further by political writing throughout the Enlightenment period, and partly by how the various colonies had previously had plenty of sectarian squabbles (Puritain persecution of the Quakers being the most notable example).

In addition, the other less-often-discussion spectrum of freedom of religion, concerning secular authorities interfering with matters of the church, has a pre-Reformation basis, informed by the various power struggles over who has the right to appoint bishops. And finally, the background of many of these early colonists, i.e. smaller Protestant sects from a mother country whose national church was (technically is, to this day the need for the monarch to also serve as the Supreme Governor of the Church of England is part of what's keeping the Act of Settlement 1701 afloat) explicitly Anglican, might've also held some influence.

Indeed, one of the protections outlined in the Establishment Clause specifically precludes establishing a national religion.

Relevant trivia of the day.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #43525 on: January 20, 2021, 06:05:22 pm »

I feel uneasy for the stupidest reason: nothing bad seemingly happened. I had braced myself hard for some state government buildings being occupied, or shootings done by Trump supporters gone insane, but I've heard none of that, only a peaceful inauguration in Washington.

Of course, none of these things are directly consequential for me personally, living across the Atlantic and then some, and worse things than those I imagined are definitely happening somewhere else in the world (read: wars, genocides). 's a strange fixation.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43526 on: January 20, 2021, 06:27:00 pm »

I feel uneasy for the stupidest reason: nothing bad seemingly happened. I had braced myself hard for some state government buildings being occupied, or shootings done by Trump supporters gone insane, but I've heard none of that, only a peaceful inauguration in Washington.

Of course, none of these things are directly consequential for me personally, living across the Atlantic and then some, and worse things than those I imagined are definitely happening somewhere else in the world (read: wars, genocides). 's a strange fixation.

Hate to be that guy, but there's still 11.25 months left for someone to do something shitty. If the Capitol attack didn't uncork all the latent shittiness of the far right in America, it came very damn close.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43527 on: January 20, 2021, 07:01:04 pm »

People can definitely do something shitty still, and almost certainly will (not necessarily violent: just shitty), but I am deeply relieved that we didn't, say, have someone in the National Guard start shooting this afternoon.

Personally, as someone from a Catholic background (... I know) I enjoyed the inauguration. I feel that the inauguration always shows Christian imagery and a lot of it, too, but leans towards American Protestant rhetoric and language, which is sort of "in the water" in the US and so becomes invisible.

Do I wish people wouldn't bring their religion? Honestly, not at all. Whatever the leader is using to keep their ethics in line should be invoked as they are inaugurated. Do I wish it wasn't so consistently Christian? Yes. Very much so.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43528 on: January 20, 2021, 07:07:16 pm »

At the very least, it would be great for viewing figures if the next president would perform a voodoo ritual, naked and bodypainted
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43529 on: January 20, 2021, 07:19:03 pm »

If I become president, I'll swear in on a copy of The Bee Movie.
Pages: 1 ... 2900 2901 [2902] 2903 2904 ... 3568