Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2887 2888 [2889] 2890 2891 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243203 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43320 on: January 14, 2021, 06:13:51 pm »

I would like to see Liz Cheney survive this, and be involved in a purge of the Republican party.

As bad as the emotion-less, conversation-evading, external-war-promoting Republicans have been, they are so much better than the emotion-charged conversation-blocking internal-war-promoting Republicans that have been empowering Trump.

This, basically. I'd rather deal with an extreme right that wants to fight resource wars and unlawfully spy on/imprison U.S. citizens than an extreme right that wants to take a second stab at the Civil War, gleefully ignore the climate crisis, and murder people like me for disagreeing with their less angry cousins.
Old!GOP didn't give two shits about climate either.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43321 on: January 14, 2021, 06:26:42 pm »

I would like to see Liz Cheney survive this, and be involved in a purge of the Republican party.

As bad as the emotion-less, conversation-evading, external-war-promoting Republicans have been, they are so much better than the emotion-charged conversation-blocking internal-war-promoting Republicans that have been empowering Trump.

This, basically. I'd rather deal with an extreme right that wants to fight resource wars and unlawfully spy on/imprison U.S. citizens than an extreme right that wants to take a second stab at the Civil War, gleefully ignore the climate crisis, and murder people like me for disagreeing with their less angry cousins.
Old!GOP didn't give two shits about climate either.

No, but they give a shit about money. Renewable (solar, particularly) energy is becoming increasingly cost-efficient at the same time that coal and petroleum deposits are both diminishing and becoming increasingly expensive to exploit, on top of artificial pressures imposed by governments around the world on things like gas-burning vehicles (which will only continue to increase since most of them are actually trying to meet their obligations for Paris and Glasgow).

As the fossil fuel campaign contributors become increasingly irrelevant and renewable contributors more substantial, policy will change to follow the money.

Though you could also argue that the real old GOP did, given that a fair few of them (Teddy Roosevelt comes to mind) were inclined towards conservation efforts. It's only really in the mid-century that things shifted so radically, and that was all due to money as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:28:18 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43322 on: January 14, 2021, 07:22:03 pm »

Was not GOP the progresive party back then?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43323 on: January 14, 2021, 07:33:42 pm »

No, that would be the Progressive (Bull Moose) Party.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43324 on: January 14, 2021, 07:45:21 pm »

...who particularly supported the rights for squirrels to fly, I hear. (And with zero emissions! Apart from the occasional bit of hokey smoke.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43325 on: January 15, 2021, 05:23:33 am »

The FBI warns about an 'enormous amount of worrisome messages'.  The rehearsal for the inauguration has been cancelled because of security threats.

Guys... I hope you have your guns ready.  If it turns out that police and feds are outnumbered and outgunned by Trump crazies, it will be your civil duty to assist them and protect democracy.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43326 on: January 15, 2021, 08:31:55 am »

Al Jazeera reports that 21 of the US Capitol building raiders were current or ex-military personnel

Experts in homegrown extremism have warned for years about efforts by far-right groups and white supremacist groups to radicalise and recruit people with military and law enforcement training, and they say the January 6 insurrection that left five people dead saw some of their worst fears realised.
“ISIS [ISIL] and al-Qaeda would drool over having someone with the training and experience of a US military officer,” said Michael German, a former FBI agent and fellow with the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University.
“These people have training and capabilities that far exceed what any foreign terrorist group can do. Foreign terrorist groups don’t have any members who have badges.”
Basically what I've been saying regarding the need for USA to do peaceful community driven policing, because going the full "how will rednecks deal with dronestrikes" route is going to trigger a reaction from all the ex-army officers who are popular in their local communities and retain connections within the armed services. Just a mega shitshow all around; imagine all the lessons you guys learned from the Iraq war with ex-Saddam army officers and forcing locals to join Islamist groups, but applied to US militias

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43327 on: January 15, 2021, 01:50:40 pm »

I'm buying groceries and preparing to not leave home for two weeks. I have lots of beans and rice in case it really has to be more than 2 weeks.

Al Jazeera reports that 21 of the US Capitol building raiders were current or ex-military personnel

Well ... that's not great ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43328 on: January 15, 2021, 02:26:00 pm »

The FBI warns about an 'enormous amount of worrisome messages'.  The rehearsal for the inauguration has been cancelled because of security threats.

Guys... I hope you have your guns ready.  If it turns out that police and feds are outnumbered and outgunned by Trump crazies, it will be your civil duty to assist them and protect democracy.

The police are generally supportive of what's going on, so it's not like they'll be helping the average citizen.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43329 on: January 15, 2021, 02:58:53 pm »

Perhaps I am naive in assuming that those are not in the majority within the forces.

Some of those that work forces..
Are the same that burn crosses.

Nowadays be replaced with

Most of those that work forces
Are the same that burn crosses?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:02:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43330 on: January 15, 2021, 03:02:56 pm »

Perhaps I am naive in assuming that those are not in the majority within the forces.

They may not be the majority, but white supremacist groups have been working on getting their people into law enforcement and the military for years.

I don't know what to say, guys. I'm really fucking stressed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43331 on: January 15, 2021, 04:13:33 pm »

Oh, you think political instability is your stressor. But you merely adopted the political instability; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see a proper goverment system until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!

Ps: just trying to ligthen the mood. If anyone want to chat here is a ear. But relax, most likely nothing bad will happen. Remember politics, specially western ones are 99.9% smoke and mirrors... and corruption, and 0.1% of actual work with an marign of error of 0.1%.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43332 on: January 15, 2021, 07:35:29 pm »

Can't find any news stations in the US talking about this (at least major news). But this news site is 100% legit of course, but surprised can't find it talked about elsewhere.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/donald-trumps-approval-rating-collapses-in-multiple-polls-after-capitol-riot-impeachment/live-coverage/80fcaea40b1c82be298bd61eaacb4e73

If that happens, then that really would lead to civil war. If trump uses martial law or insurrection act like it appears he may be thinking of doing judging by that news article, that is a legit civil war.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43333 on: January 15, 2021, 08:18:25 pm »

Noting that the URL was the exact opposite of Clickbait. It summarises the almost inconsequential closing line to the article, which was mostly about what you said it was, plus the narrowness of the squeak that Pence may have had.

Spoiler: Ignorable aside (click to show/hide)

I think it's entirely possible that Trump has planned a number of things to do, maybe on the 18th, 19th, possibly even the morning of the 20th. Saved up so Mitch won't be able to suddenly decide there's time to accept the impeachment. I'm not sure how far he'd go. Potentially, a long way. Practically...?

I think I'm more confident that the person with the bit of paper knows that high-res photographs of people sloppily-holding documents are a 'danger' (it's happened a number of times with people entering or leaving 10 Downing Street, over here) and that this was a troll/strategic 'accidental' leak or somesuch.

Which doesn't mean it isn't being seriously thought about (FCVO 'seriously'), but I can't do more about that than cross my fingers, even while I bet that the Preinaugaral January Surprise is going to come in a totally different form. 'Accidental'malfunction of a military training drone that lands on Jack Dorsey's patio or whatever.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43334 on: January 15, 2021, 08:27:38 pm »

Tell me more about the acts of terrorism democrats committed to install Hilary as president in spite of her losing both the popular vote and the electoral college.

That's irrelevant. There was incitement enough for some group of maniacs to try something.

There was a Sanders campaign volunteer who shot Republican Majority Whip Steve Scalise and others, so it's not like nothing happened from Democrats over the last 4 years.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:29:21 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 2887 2888 [2889] 2890 2891 ... 3568