Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2804 2805 [2806] 2807 2808 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241899 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42075 on: November 17, 2020, 07:10:20 am »

personally i think that if abortions become illegal it should in turn become legal to force men to adopt unwanted babies and care for them until they're 18
That sounds like a splendid idea, forcing children to grow up with a parent who doesn't want them. They'll surely get all the love and care they need!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42076 on: November 17, 2020, 07:35:53 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:13:50 pm by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #42077 on: November 17, 2020, 07:46:58 am »

We will havent sent you to the sausage factory long before that, Dragdeler
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42078 on: November 17, 2020, 07:52:19 am »

On an unrelated point, I agree with Arx. I don't know when calling religous people 'cat-lickers' and zealots became the cool thing to do in this thread, but frankly I'm not into it.

Well that's a rather curious and humourless interpretation, somewhat like a knight errant charging at windmills.  But I guess you have your reasons.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42079 on: November 17, 2020, 08:08:57 am »

All I'm going to add is this question:  Why is it orders of magnitude more difficult to get an adoption than it is to get an abortion?

Spoiler: Ok there's more (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42080 on: November 17, 2020, 08:26:38 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:13:54 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42081 on: November 17, 2020, 08:54:06 am »

I'm sure throughout history women were forced to abort when there was no failsafe option  ???, what's a shotgun wedding?

I wasn't saying that most pregnancies resulted in pressure to abort. My hypothesis is that a significant (perhaps even a majority) fraction of all abortions are due to social pressure, not "personal choice."  That is, "given the choice to abort was made, what percent was due to general social pressure" and not "given a pregnancy, what is the percentage that was aborted."

ALSO - I suppose the example of shotgun wedding is social pressure on the other side. But remember the shotguns weren't there to force the woman to have the baby - the shotgun was there to "encourage" the male to take responsibility and provide for the woman and likely imminent child*.

Spoiler: Incidentally... (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: *Unfounded speculation (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #42082 on: November 17, 2020, 09:15:37 am »

For women / couples that really don't think they are capable of raising a child, society should make adoption much much easier. We should be subsidizing that as much or more than we do abortions.

Adoption is too risky to rush into. Without proper vetting, you have no idea what hell you could be sending that helpless child into.

I think a more effective measure would be large scale state-sponsored child rearing facilities. The current system of utilizing a smattering of loose charity organizations to raise unwanted children is wholly inadequate, considering that we are talking about the developmental years of human beings. We deserve better.
Of course, setting up something proper would mean a tax hike. But good luck tackling any massive humanitarian issue without one.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 09:18:18 am by Folly »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42083 on: November 17, 2020, 09:34:18 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:13:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #42084 on: November 17, 2020, 09:43:11 am »

I said the father's voice should be heard - ie be a factor - and specifically rejected  a father veto. A dialogue should take place.

And you can enforce that...how? Like I said requiring the man to acknowledge they've been considered gives them a veto in all but name since they can just keep claiming they haven't been sufficiently considered, and giving them notification potentially puts the woman at risk if there's a good reason they aren't involving the sperm provider in their decision. Saying "Well it'd be nice" alone does not a legal framework make.

You can be uncomfortable with the father not being consulted in the few cases where they aren't a part of the decision with their partner, sure that's probably a shitty situation for the people involved, but I'd be way more uncomfortable with the problems created by mandating they be consulted.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 09:51:22 am by MorleyDev »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42085 on: November 17, 2020, 09:47:02 am »

Adoption is too risky to rush into. Without proper vetting, you have no idea what hell you could be sending that helpless child into.

Devil's advocate: Why should there be more vetting for adoption than there is for just having a baby in the first place?

I don't have enough information to know if "state-sponsored child rearing facilities" is something I'd promote.  I'd much rather have community-based systems. Like, you know, maybe have your family and friends or just the families in the local neighborhood help raise kids? Like used to happen?  Yeah yeah "the good old days" and all that.

This is where it gets into politics I suppose: why should it be the government that does this, instead of us as individuals? I don't mean "private industry" here either - I really do just mean "people".

I don't think crosswalks are "controlling life and death" unless you are really doing reductio ad absurdum. It's a continuum.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42086 on: November 17, 2020, 09:57:36 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:14:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42087 on: November 17, 2020, 10:13:08 am »

That *Unfounded speculation might have some basis in fact, but 'colonial era' times were already dangerous enough, mortality-wise. High birth-rates matched (or, indeed, exceeded) high infant-mortality rates with fewer reliable methods of contraception or countering disease and injury.

There always seemed to be enough children becoming young men to sign-up as cannon-/pike-/musket-fodder whenever needed, or hands of any gender till the fields, thread the looms, fuse the shells, etc. With quite prominent exceptions of post-Plague years and equivalent "They're all dead Dave, everybody's dead Dave, everybody's dead..." catastrophes.

Had a child been truly unwanted (or was less than healthy-looking, and a difficult decision might be made) I'm sure there was plenty of scope for nudging the child over into "unfortunately did not survive" territory, to join those that genuinely could not be saved. Once as old as a few months or a year or so, I wouldn't be so quick to suggest that a "fifth trimester abortion" had occured. Standard child neglect or 'carelessness' with the life of an awkward child that might or might not be a valid basis of a (now?) loveless marriage, maybe. (They may not know about genes, but a 'father' might well be enraged once the infant's hair starts to be obviously as red as the handsome cow-herd's...)

I dare say matters could always 'be arranged' for unexpected pregnancies, in all types and levels of society. Young ladies of high standing going to stay with maiden aunts for a few months, or otherwise quietly withdrawn from society, if the right (or willingly substitutive) dashing young officer couldn't be encouraged to step up or whatever. In a poorer rural context, there'd be traditions of working things out any which way that might be just as subtle or tacitly ignored by all the neighbours who had at some point had prior experience of what surely happens fairly most years, once spring has sprung and the young have fun...

Ok, but that's not very AmeriPolly. Not exclusively and topically so, anyway. But it seems there's not much to be said about Trump not conceding that hasn't already been said, and everything else seems to be just as stalemated. Until someone pulls something out of a hat to resolve/ignite the situation in a definite manner.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 10:15:23 am by Starver »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #42088 on: November 17, 2020, 11:18:21 am »

This is where it gets into politics I suppose: why should it be the government that does this, instead of us as individuals? I don't mean "private industry" here either - I really do just mean "people".

Because people have no oversight, and no transparency. Sometimes it works out just fine, but too often when you trust folks to just be decent it goes horribly awry.
We need to get a board of child-raising experts to agree upon a set of protocols for the care and upbringing of children, and then establish large and transparent facilities dedicated to that cause. Then potential mothers will not have an excuse to seek abortion under the pretense of the child's fate being uncertain; they can hand the child over to the government with confidence that they will be in good hands.

And honestly, I think we should just use public schools for this purpose. They are already glorified daycare centers, providing no practical education in real-world skills; schools exist only to keep kids busy during the day so adults can do adult stuff. Lets take the next step and make them all boarding schools, where kids without parents can stay and be cared for 24/7.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42089 on: November 17, 2020, 11:26:55 am »

And honestly, I think we should just use public schools for this purpose. They are already glorified daycare centers, providing no practical education in real-world skills

Is being prepared for a life of soul-crushing, pointless busy work for their capitalist overlords not a real-world skill?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:34:55 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 2804 2805 [2806] 2807 2808 ... 3568