Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2802 2803 [2804] 2805 2806 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241587 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42045 on: November 16, 2020, 03:55:15 pm »

Anti-choice forced-birther types are really just against there being any medically safe options for abortion and basically want to force people to have to resort to dangerous back-alley methods of aborting or of course having an unwanted child. Abortion has been a thing for thousands of years, it's never going away, people are always going to be doing it, so it should be safe and available for everyone who wants it. I'm afraid that's the end of the story.
I agree with this

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42046 on: November 16, 2020, 04:25:12 pm »

I'm against abortions of convenience, I can acknowledge some common ground there. I do think that they must be legally allowed, but I would want such people to have access to psychiatric help. Not required, but offered, because such behavior seems very unhealthy. I'm sure people have claimed to be casual about such an invasive and life-changing procedure. That seems like a reasonable reaction when a vocal minority is trying to call it murder, and overall make the experience as traumatic as possible.

Edit: Oh and I also agree that preventing unwanted pregnancies is a lot healthier than abortion, yeah!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:38:27 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42047 on: November 16, 2020, 04:38:55 pm »

Just take a future-proofed pragmatic stance on abortion. You can argue until kingdom come about when the fetus is alive, but what's more important is consent to the pregnancy, which in many cases is impossible to prove.

Deal with this by finding out how early a person can reliably, accessibly, and reasonably detect their pregnancy given contemporary technology, healthcare access, and welfare programs. Add thirty days to that. That is the latest you can get an abortion for any reason, accompanied by a written affidavit declaring your non-consent to your pregnancy. Use the same system for the paper abortion if the manner of conception allows for it.

Any abortion after that, with assumed consent to pregnancy, will only be done to save the pregnant person's life (risk above the mean of normal pregnancies by three standard deviations), or if the child is unlikely to survive or already dead.

Doctors should try to save the child regardless, if possible.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42048 on: November 16, 2020, 04:53:51 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:13:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42049 on: November 16, 2020, 05:48:30 pm »

I'd like to note a linguistic quibble: I lack faith, of any sort whatsoever, if I claimed I believed something or had faith in anything it would be a lie.

I do however have zero reason to stop doubting that anybody would just casually go through an abortion. It's not a simple *boop* "weee, baby's gone" sort of thing. If it's only mildly upsetting rather than traumatic you came out pretty well.

Don't fucking make light of someone being in a situation where they have to deal with all the fucked up bullshit guilt other people throw at them over exercising their bodily autonomy and deciding that they are not willing or able currently to go through the physical, mental, and financial strain of a pregnancy, childbirth, and raising a child.

Yeah, I'm pretty fucking vitriolic about people being shitty, I love getting surprised by people being sweet and kind. It's why dogs are so great, happy little buds just default to excited to meet you and hoping you'll be their friend.

My disgust with people lately has come to a head because of so many deciding to come out of the bigotcloset and declare they're here, they live in fear of anyone different from them, and they're not gonna get used to it.

That doesn't mean I consider the idea of anybody casually treating an abortion as "fixing an inconvenience" to be anything but dubious, to say the very least. So, Arx, you say you've heard of people doing that? I'd say that flags you as too credulous to be a reputable source.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42050 on: November 16, 2020, 05:51:04 pm »

Hard to take away a choice they never had the right to in the first place.
Okay, but that's kind of what I was asking. Why don't they have the right? It is, after all, a human right to have family.

At what point does a sperm+egg become sapient? To be honest it's probably sometime after their born, the human brain takes awhile to develop, but in the first few months you really are just talking a clump of cells that if you squint really hard is starting to get some of the functionality of a human being. The exact point at which they get that functionality is like the "how much do I have to shave the back of a chair off before it becomes a stool" problem, it's a vague category and a gradient rather than a clear line.

Here's a description of babies at 24 weeks, when you can still abort in America (again, based on quick google, any evidence to the contrary welcomed. I couldn't believe the figure myself):

At a Glance

Bulking up
Your little bean is putting on more and more weight, much of it coming from accumulating baby fat along with growing muscles, organs and bones.

Rock-a-bye, baby
Baby's auditory system is rapidly advancing, which means if she frequently hears a certain song now she's likely to recognize it and feel calmed by it when she's born.

White-haired baby
Your baby is still sporting white eyelashes, eyebrows and hair, all of which have yet to acquire pigment.
So yes, the line is hard to draw. But I daresay most would draw it before "looks human and remembers things from this point after birth."

Conraceptives are fine, right? That prevents the potential for a human, so clearly potential-to-be-human isn't the issue.
Well, technically you'd say that contraceptives prevent the formation of a fetus. A fetus is a potential human.

Morning-after pills are clearly okay, right? That's just recently fertilized egg cells, so clearly fertalisation isn't the issue.
A few weeks? Well then it's basically still just a clump of cells.
20-odd weeks is survivable, usually with extreme medical intervention, but the distinction between patient and corpse is always going to be determined by scientific advances. (Like how cryogenic freezing is killing a person and hoping future medical advances make it not killing them).
Aaaaaaand then you jump from "clump of cells" to "viable outside the womb," waving away the development this implies by saying "without hospitalisation they'd die." Well yes, they would. And next time you have a heart attack, it is likely the same will apply to you.

Hence the "Hey it's a complex, grey topic without easily defined lines so let's just give the woman the right to safely choose because the alternative is them going for a coat hanger and a bottle of vodka to try and achieve the same end".
Ah, the old "parents know best and should be trusted implicitly to make decisions that are best for their dependents" argument. Yes. That always holds water.

And still that's discounting the horrors of rape. An abortion and a rape baby are both potentially traumatic, if a woman decides the former is less so than the latter I'm not going to stop them.
Rape is a grey area, yep. Termination of a pregnancy which will result in severe complications for the mother (assuming she wants it) is not grey.
Other than that, I agree with your statement. There is a sliding scale. As a fetus becomes more developed, it becomes more characteristically human. Is a fetus a human? Personally? I simply don't know. Is the seed the plant? What I do know is that it develops rapidly. By week six, you see ears, arms, facial features.

And it strikes me that disposing of a "clump of cells" is one thing. But disposing of something with definable features? Something else entirely.

Dragdeler:
Yeah right because bAbyKiLlerS make such great mothers. And there are no disadvantages to growing up in an orphanage.
You're right. Life is hard. People who are in bad positions should never have been born. Black slaves. Sex workers. Sweat-shop workers. They are all unarguably worse off than an orphaned child put up for adoption. Let's go ask them their opinion on that analysis...................

If you worry about fetal matter I never ever want to hear you complain about overpopulation. That particular set of contradictory belief stinks like a medieval town.
I won't, don't worry. And fyi medieval towns weren't all that bad, depending on where you were.

Despite a few millenia of our best attempts at patriarchy and controlling women, stemming out of the male insecurities about paternity, ultimatively, we never had, nor will have that power. Tough cookie.
Oh, great, now I'm a sexist who seeks to control women's bodies for the thrill of power it gives me and the way it assuages my own personal inefficiencies.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 05:53:48 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42051 on: November 16, 2020, 06:04:29 pm »

Just take a future-proofed pragmatic stance on abortion. You can argue until kingdom come about when the fetus is alive, but what's more important is consent to the pregnancy, which in many cases is impossible to prove.

Deal with this by finding out how early a person can reliably, accessibly, and reasonably detect their pregnancy given contemporary technology, healthcare access, and welfare programs. Add thirty days to that. That is the latest you can get an abortion for any reason, accompanied by a written affidavit declaring your non-consent to your pregnancy. Use the same system for the paper abortion if the manner of conception allows for it.

Any abortion after that, with assumed consent to pregnancy, will only be done to save the pregnant person's life (risk above the mean of normal pregnancies by three standard deviations), or if the child is unlikely to survive or already dead.

Doctors should try to save the child regardless, if possible.
I honestly find the father's voiceless position in terms of abortion to be deeply disturbing. In part because it ties into future trends. Mothers get custody of children, etc.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42052 on: November 16, 2020, 06:10:58 pm »

I mean, I kinda' don't 'cause they also dodge the threat to their life or (pretty damn significant) risk of permanent injury/medical complication that comes with the process, too. They get to chime in prior, and after the literally life threatening biological process, but until we figure out how to share that burden, guys really should just drop it about the in between. It ain't their life, health, and livelihood on the line with that one. It is for the mother.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42053 on: November 16, 2020, 06:31:12 pm »

I agree up to a point. And again, that point falls before 24 weeks.

I'm not arguing for a father-veto. Just the father's voice being heard.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #42054 on: November 16, 2020, 06:46:44 pm »

"I want the fathers voice to be heard, but they can't do anything about it"? I mean, if I stand outside screaming about aliens stealing my cows my neighbours will definitely hear it...

You can't really legally require the woman to consider the desires of the father and allow her autonomy. Like, how would that work? Would they have to tick a box saying "I have considered the opinion of the person who impregnated me and [ ] they also agree or [ ] fuck them they did this to me the bastard"? If the father had to give consent that they'd been considered, they could just refuse that consent and you'd give them a practical veto anyway. So it's the kind of personal relationship stuff that they'd need to handle themselves.

And if the woman isn't telling the father odds are good it's because she's terrified of them, so sending them a notification could easily put her at risk.

The argument here is not "parents know best" but: Given absence of effective alternatives that don't force extra strain or risk onto the unwilling expectant allow them to make the decision for themselves and give them the means to carry out that decision in a safe way with effective support structures in place.

Looking at it the US states that don't have a strict week limit seem to either be the 'battleground' states which go out of their way to prevent accesss to abortions without technically banning them. Or they have other laws that practically prohibit late-state abortions without specifying an exact number of weeks.

Also technically the right is to seek and choose to have a family, and part of which is if you cannot yourself get pregnant is finding someone to agree to carry a baby to term. The state can't deny you that, but if you can't find yourself someone to carry a baby to term for you (ignoring adopting a living child) then they don't really have to do much about that.

After the birth the father should have the same rights as a parent as the mother (and either parent should be free to waive those rights or be judged a threat to their child or partner equally). But the whole pregnancy thing is like the one practical distinction in modern day life between the biological sexes that isn't just something imposed by society, so until we can resolve that one via some form of nutrient vat we should make the whole thing as easy and painless and equitable as possible for pregnant people (equitable, not equal, so bringing in laws to protect mothers and allow the maternity leave and whatnot).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:37:47 pm by MorleyDev »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42055 on: November 16, 2020, 07:03:40 pm »

Hard to take away a choice they never had the right to in the first place.
Okay, but that's kind of what I was asking. Why don't they have the right? It is, after all, a human right to have family.
I'd uh, say it's a human right to *pursue* a family, sure.  But obviously none of us would say that men have a right to have a wife, or to use a woman's body. 

And that's why forcing someone to carry a pregnancy is, in my opinion, never justifiable at any stage.  I simply see no justification for it, and it obviously violates bodily autonomy to an extreme degree.  I suppose the exception would be a consensual legal contract of some sort, such as a surrogate mother, but even that gets into issues of financial coercion (particularly if the mother is in a "traditional" marriage where she relies on the father for financial security).  Our often-impoverished "volunteer" soldiers sign similar contracts, giving up bodily autonomy (and other basic citizen rights) for a duration, so perhaps that is palatable to us culturally.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42056 on: November 16, 2020, 07:47:46 pm »

Might change if custody of the child goes to the vetoing father, while clearing the women of any obligations other then child support, if the mother doesn't want it for a non-medical reason.
Still a raw deal for having to bring to term.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42057 on: November 16, 2020, 07:56:32 pm »

"You are obligated to sell the kidney, but don't worry, we'll give you $10,000 and clear your medical bills."

That is not how this works.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #42058 on: November 16, 2020, 08:16:36 pm »

Considering they said they'd still pay child support, the selling the kidney is a way better deal.

You know, I do find it odd that you can't just waive your rights as a parent entirely. My biological father was presented a choice when I was like 6, pay child support or give up visitation, and I haven't seen it him since. Nicest thing he ever did, by the sounds of it (though there are no unbiased sources when words like 'abusive' start popping up to describe someone).

So yeah, I'm in favour of the basic idea of either parent being able to just nope out of parenthood so long as they completely nope out of the rights as well as obligations. Better no parent than a bad one, and if you're the kind of person who if given the choice would opt-out of parenthood then maybe it's for the best that you aren't in their life.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:21:49 pm by MorleyDev »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42059 on: November 16, 2020, 10:15:47 pm »

Dead bodies require consent prior to death to be cut up. As such, live people with wombs should probably have more rights.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 2802 2803 [2804] 2805 2806 ... 3568