Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2758 2759 [2760] 2761 2762 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226312 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41385 on: November 04, 2020, 07:35:55 am »

I'd advice not to take the troll bait. This is a good way to get the thread locked or worse.
Probably a good thing at this point tbh

(All I can think about now is how Trump is threatening to lock the election.)

(Why did I come here instead of checking news?)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41386 on: November 04, 2020, 07:38:40 am »

For the fireworks, Starver.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41387 on: November 04, 2020, 07:46:01 am »

Both sound equally emotionally unhealthy!

To everyone, generally: Stop worrying so much. No matter what happens, things will basically be fine.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #41388 on: November 04, 2020, 07:55:43 am »

Things are always fine.

Until they aren't.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41389 on: November 04, 2020, 07:57:02 am »

Things are always fine.

Until they aren't.
False.
Things are always fine even if they aren't.

Everything is going to be okay.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41390 on: November 04, 2020, 07:59:13 am »

The legal quagmire this is going to turn into is probably going to be the most 2020-ish event of this entire year.

And to the idea that this whole year has ever been fine:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41391 on: November 04, 2020, 08:00:47 am »

Both sound equally emotionally unhealthy!

To everyone, generally: Stop worrying so much. No matter what happens, things will basically be fine.
In most presidential elections you might be right to suggest that worrying doesn't help (though it's certainly justified).  But in this case apathy is all Trump needs to get away with a desperate coup. 

He's literally already been trying to shut down the vote early.  That's reality, not your fantasy land where the fascist ethno-staters are going to be nice to you because you have money.  I need to follow the news to be aware of where the riots and police actions will be, because if we roll over then American democracy gives up the ghost.

"Just relax and let it happen" is a political statement
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #41392 on: November 04, 2020, 08:08:08 am »

So assuming everywhere currently with blue in the lead stays blue, Joe Biden just needs to flip any one of the currently red states? Ignoring Alaska because it's Alaska and deserves to be ignored. It knows what it did. And those states are the ones now counting their postal ballots, that lean heavily pro-Democrat? Well okay then. Explains why the Great Orange In The Sky is having a panic attack.

Something I've been thinking about recently is that in a two-party system, the 'left' side has historically been a coalition between a Socially Conservative Working Class and a Socially Liberal Middle-Class (Better called the University-educated Class now perhaps), united in the support of Economically Interventionalist policies. Lately however the social issues, race, gender, sexuality, have become more important and more incorporated into (Immigration) or prominent enough to override the economical issues for a good chunk of the SCWC. Which is fracturing that coalition, as the social issues are the ones neither side is likely to budge or compromise on very much, and allowing the 'right' side to pick up extra voters.

I mean, I'm not not part of that problem. If you oppose Gay Marriage, Womens Rights, Transgender Rights, are Xenophobic etc you aren't getting my vote because I find opposing those things so abhorrent it overrides any economics. And for people on the other side of the fence, people with my views on them are abhorrent and so the same is true. But it is creating a fine line for the 'left' to walk to avoid losing either side and trying to walk it doesn't seem to be working very well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:25:44 am by MorleyDev »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41393 on: November 04, 2020, 08:26:57 am »

C'mon folks, please show more decorum here than our "leaders" demonstrate.

I'm actually surprised that the predictions of some of my friends that said "I think Trump will win, because there are a lot of people the media doesn't cover/talk about and who don't respond to polls, that are going to come and vote for him" seem to be astute observations.  This definitely seems to be the case in those swing states.

If you believe in democracy (even the USA odd form of it), though, then, yes, the country has to accept the consequences of its collective action.  For it is a collective thing - CA can't say "it's not my fault" because in some ways it is - the animosity that arises between CA politics and, say, SC, does not arise in a vacuum.

I'm definitely uneasy and sad by the current situation.  I want leaders with decorum and respect, not lead-by-bombast. I mean there was that supposed tweet by the youngest Congressman elected - it was not the type of thing that should characterize any leader. No humility, no respect for his opponent.

The calls to stop counting now, before it's done - that's just inexcusable.  So even though my state may not go the way I voted - I still feel like I did my part, despite the quirks of the electoral system.  Remember this is like sports - you want to be so far ahead that you don't lose due to one bad call or some unlucky bounce.  Sadly this election has never been in that camp - we all know that the choices we had were not great.

So I think the best thing we can do is, regardless of whatever we find out the result to be in a few days or weeks, is simply to respect our neighbors' humanity and try to work together to at least start teaching the next generation to be respectful.  It's not going to happen overnight, and we can't rely on the media or our leadership to do it for us.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #41394 on: November 04, 2020, 08:33:33 am »

> I'm actually surprised that the predictions of some of my friends

how so? everyone even slightly centrist has been driven away from the communities trough  constant harassment. of course you don't hear their voices. doesn't make it go away tho.

source: been victim of an harassment campaign *on this very forum*

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41395 on: November 04, 2020, 08:36:42 am »

your fantasy land where the fascist ethno-staters are going to be nice to you because you have money.
If this is what you think I'm saying, you're dumber than you look.

Nobody here is in immediate existential threat from either a Trump or a Biden victory. Having panic attacks over it is neither justified, helpful, nor healthy. I just want people to be, if not happy, at least accepting and not stressed out over this. You, empirically, want people to be sad and angry. Why is that?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41396 on: November 04, 2020, 08:42:13 am »

1,100 people died yesterday, and about 230,000 died this year, but alright.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #41397 on: November 04, 2020, 09:14:39 am »

So Biden is winning? My "New Tab" Explorer Homepage is showing Biden has 238 electoral votes and 50.04% of the popular vote.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41398 on: November 04, 2020, 09:21:29 am »

Key states won't be decided until later this week due to the mail in vote. Trump's ahead in some of them, but every model says the mail-ins will trend Biden, ams there are a lot of them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41399 on: November 04, 2020, 09:22:18 am »

1,100 people died yesterday, and about 230,000 died this year, but alright.
That's fine. In 2015, the last time things were supposedly okay, 55 million people died. Human immortality has never quite been figured out yet. 230k is chump change, I would press a button that killed ten times as many in a heartbeat.
Pages: 1 ... 2758 2759 [2760] 2761 2762 ... 3566