Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2742 2743 [2744] 2745 2746 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226195 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #41145 on: November 01, 2020, 07:36:21 pm »

They'd also make sure to set up their own nonprofit think tank espousing nice moderate white papers on the long-term mobility prospects of peer processing.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41146 on: November 01, 2020, 08:01:23 pm »

They'd also make sure to set up their own nonprofit think tank

Like, with glass and salt water or...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41147 on: November 01, 2020, 08:50:48 pm »

The creator of DF would appreciate us not talking about !!Napalm!!  ?
The creator of DF was so horrified by industrialized merperson drowning chambers made to exploit their suspiciously valuable bones that he nerfed their prices into the ground just to get people to stop doing it, so...

On the other hand, you can spill people's entrails and set them on fire. The Toad seems to be more against industrialized killing than brutal death.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41148 on: November 02, 2020, 12:43:49 am »

Oh god one more day.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41149 on: November 02, 2020, 01:53:41 am »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41150 on: November 02, 2020, 02:53:55 am »

That's conviction for you; They are literally DYING to have trump re-elected.  :(

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41151 on: November 02, 2020, 05:26:04 am »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41152 on: November 02, 2020, 06:01:53 am »

On one hand it's infuriating that they even think they can get away with something that blatant.
On the other hand it's hilarious that they feel like they're losing bad enough they don't care about the optics anymore.

37 hours to go until the first polls close. Here we go. What are you going to throw at us next, 2020?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41153 on: November 02, 2020, 06:09:48 am »

That's conviction for you; They are literally DYING to have trump re-elected.  :(

The irony being that "voter fraud" is often votes done in the name of dead people. If any of those people voted early - they may actually be dead by election day.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41154 on: November 02, 2020, 06:33:54 am »

On one hand it's infuriating that they even think they can get away with something that blatant.
On the other hand it's hilarious that they feel like they're losing bad enough they don't care about the optics anymore.
They aren't doing it because they are losing badly, they are doing it because trump is openly and blatantly doing it.
Since he (as the leader of the party) is doing it so openly, the Republican party as a whole is going to get blamed for it this cycle.
And if they already know they are getting blamed for it they don't have any real reason *not* to do it.

Well, aside from stuff like believing in democracy of course, but given they have been doing this kind of thing for decades (albeit subtler) actually morals isn't going to stop them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41155 on: November 02, 2020, 11:17:55 am »

Meanwhile, a (relatively!) minor news story that, in my opinion, helps illustrate the jurisprudence of Justice Thomas.

The justices, in an unsigned opinion, set aside a lower court ruling that had found that prison officials were protected under a legal defense called qualified immunity from the claim in inmate Trent Taylor’s lawsuit accusing them of violating the U.S. Constitution’s Eighth Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment.

Conservative Justice Clarence Thomas dissented from the decision. Conservative Justice Amy Coney Barrett, who joined the court last week, did not participate in the case.

Taylor, who is serving an 11-year sentence for aggravated robbery, said he was left naked for six days in two different cells - one covered in human feces and the other covered in raw sewage - at a state psychiatric prison unit in Lubbock in 2013 following a suicide attempt.

Thomas did not actually state why he dissented, so I'm being a little tongue in cheek here, but... yeah. Reminds me of the (infamous?) Safford Unified School District #1 v. Redding, where he argued that a strip search of a 13-year-old girl for prescription ibuprofen and naproxen (AKA aleve) wasn't an unreasonable search. (Also worth noting Alito's somewhat begrudged concurrence in the above Taylor case.)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41156 on: November 02, 2020, 12:38:58 pm »

I'm totally fine with his people dying for him. That's a choice they made. Sucks for the non-Trump-supporting friends and family of these people, but hey -- that's one more reason to shun MAGAts.
See, when the Trump campaing sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're drug addicts, sexual predators, they're bringing disease, they're bringing crime...and some, I assume, are nice p--actually, fuck that. They're not nice people.

Anyways, it's Monday so it's time to crunch some numbers. And in this edition, I'm going to use two different models. The first is the standard +/-7% lead and then narrowing down the "lean" and "swing" states. The second one, I added in average "undecided/third party" and adjusted the lead by that with some surprising results. More on that inside the spoiler.

Spoiler: First Model (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Second Model (click to show/hide)

An additional item of note? There's no bad weather in the forecast tomorrow to potentially depress turnout. Other than a little bit of rain in the Pacific Northwest and some snow showers in upper New England (both of which are literally the default weather for those regions), it's sunny and mild across the United States. And historical research has indicated that Democrats benefit from better weather and increased voter turnout, or conversely that Republicans benefit from poor weather and decreased turnout. My gut instinct says this is because Republican voters have tended to be older, retired with more available time and more determined to hobble through Hell itself, while Democrat voters are a bit more flighty and/or have shit to do.

If turnout is light tomorrow, it's because almost 70% of the 2016 electorate has already voted. However, there's good reason to believe that total 2020 turnout will exceed 2016 by about 20 million people. The main states where a signficant majority of the population has not yet voted are Idaho, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Alabama and Mississippi (all below 30%), none of which are going for Biden unless their Republicans stay home and boycott the election.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:00:50 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41157 on: November 02, 2020, 02:41:42 pm »

Meanwhile in New York, store owners, pubs and restaurants are barricading their business, because they fear violent protests erupting after election day.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41158 on: November 02, 2020, 03:16:46 pm »

We talked about this over lunch. If Trump wins, there will be riots. If Biden wins, random people are going to get shot by angry paranoid folks, cops will react by shooting some people out of fear....and we'll have riots.

So basically we're going to have riots no matter what.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41159 on: November 02, 2020, 03:25:14 pm »

Worst-case scenarios are an elector overturn in PA or a SCOTUS overturn in general. EC tie is nearly as bad and will depend on how willing Pelosi is to one-up and abuse the vagueness of the procedure in question. I think nothing of her backbone, but if there's ever a time to go nuclear it would be then.

I'll say this much - the system only works because people believe that it works. That belief has been scarred by everything Trump has done, but Americans in their naivete still cling to it for now. Should the outcome of this election confirm that the system does not work, though? That it just serves to preserve the ruling class against the public, and literally nothing else? Then we are in the wilds, and there will be no more rules or expectations to follow.

Of course, the Democrats are every bit as ruling class as the Republicans. But there is a difference between trying to buy your soul and beating you until you just give it up.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2742 2743 [2744] 2745 2746 ... 3566