Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2698 2699 [2700] 2701 2702 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227690 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #40485 on: October 16, 2020, 11:25:32 pm »

RE: TV Diagnosis

The responsible thing to do, is to mention that Trump "APPEARS" to exhibit symptoms, and to encourage him to seek professional consultation in a controlled, and proper setting, just to be sure for his own health.

Do NOT play into any mental health stigma; Instead, use rhetoric that is totally the opposite-- Caring about a potential issue with his health, and that getting a proper consult and evaluation is essential, and that many people in the US aren't getting the care they need (National mental health crisis, at al.), and that you wont necessarily know you need help, unless you go for a proper consult.

Stress that there are treatment options for a wide variety of mental health problems, and that with care, nearly all of them are highly manageable with a profound improvement in quality of life.  (EG, there is no justifiable reason to simply suffer, when help is available.)

DO NOT presuppose he has a condition.  Only mention that some of the rhetoric and behavior in the media is troubling, and that it is just out of an abundance of concern, care, and caution that you advise he see somebody, just to be sure.

Etc.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40486 on: October 17, 2020, 01:02:31 am »

On one hand, the ongoing mental health crisis is a devastating blow to a country shattered by division and economic crisis (not to mention the deadly disease, but that too.)

On the other hand I've never been in such good company before.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40487 on: October 17, 2020, 01:29:13 pm »

Wait, so we're not supposed to refer to him as a brainless, soulless carrot-in-a-suit?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40488 on: October 17, 2020, 01:36:25 pm »

No.  You should kindly slip him the business cards of qualified mental health professionals, and make the appropriate mandatory reporter paperwork about an elder in need of care. :P

(Remember, It is not your place as a lower-rung healthcare provider to make a diagnosis, or to come up with iron-clad proof of abuse-- Your legal responsibility is to report your SUSPICION of abuse-- AND, if an elder is clearly in an endangered condition  (or a condition you suspect places them in danger) due to the inaction of their family or caregivers, then it is your legal responsibility to report it to the appropriate authorities.)

That said-- why isn't the Washington DC adult protective services hotlines ringing off the damn hook about the president? ;P

https://dhs.dc.gov/service/adult-abuse

(See also, Persons over 60 years old in the US are legally "Elders", and covered under Elder Law statutes. Mandatory reporter rules for elders are totally a thing, and cover a HUUUUUUGE set of healthcare and civil servant workers.  While the "Malicious Intent" might come into play if you are being serruptitious-- If you honestly do feel the president is not getting proper care for a potential mental health condition, and is being abused (through callous political posturing, harmful counseling from his cabinet, etc-- which prevents the president from gaining the assistance he requires), then you in fact DO have the obligation to report that, since he is over 60 years old, and qualifies as an Elder.)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:49:48 pm by wierd »

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40489 on: October 17, 2020, 04:41:23 pm »

My advance ballot arrived yesterday, so lots of folks were doing advance voting I guess.  (Will drop mine off Monday or Tuesday, probably)

I saw something that I have never seen before, in the US.  Heard some noises, so I looked out my front door... and there was a small parade of at least a dozen cars & trucks, with various Trump flats & stickers, driving along & honking.

I'm honestly at a bit of loss for words, because it just seemed so...  I don't know.  Unusual.  Surreal.  Banana Republic-esque.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40490 on: October 17, 2020, 06:02:03 pm »

My advance ballot arrived yesterday, so lots of folks were doing advance voting I guess.  (Will drop mine off Monday or Tuesday, probably)

I saw something that I have never seen before, in the US.  Heard some noises, so I looked out my front door... and there was a small parade of at least a dozen cars & trucks, with various Trump flats & stickers, driving along & honking.

I'm honestly at a bit of loss for words, because it just seemed so...  I don't know.  Unusual.  Surreal.  Banana Republic-esque.
Not gonna lie, my mental image is a clown car parade complete with bicycle horns.

So, remember how crazy I told you the Georgia special election for the Senate is? It's gotten crazier.
By essentially being a primary wrapped inside a general election, it's created an interesting tension. In primaries, candidates often run to the extremes of their party, and then run back to the center for the general election and hope everyone forgets that they promised open hunting season on illegal immigrants or gulags for Wall Street. But in this case, with the GOP evenly split between two candidates, they're essentially in primary mode while Warnock, the leading Dem, can campaign in "reasonable moderate" mode.

And boy howdy, are Loeffler and Collins busy trying to one-up each other in the red meat department.
On the one hand, you have Loeffler -- one of the wealthiest members of Congress and a CEO of an investment firm -- showing up to rallies sporting a plaid shirt and baseball cap and trying to pretend she's just a good ol' gal who loves trucks, guns, country music and insider trading. And while other GOP candidates are trying to distance themselves from QAnon, Loeffler is running to the fire by receiving an endorsment from House candidate and noted Q-laid drinker Marjorie Taylor Greene.
Spoiler: Aryan or *Karyan*? (click to show/hide)
"Look, I don't know anything about QAnon," responded Loeffler. "I know how the media twists people's words, they do it over and over, they even make up things."

Collins, not to be one-upped in the political theater department, is travelling Georgia in his "Trump Defender Statewide Tour" with noted Trump sycophants Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and Andy Biggs (R-AZ), and his campaign spokesman had this gem:
Collins campaign spokesman Dan McLagan said Collins would drive his "family suburban, trailed by volunteers in a 15-passenger van that runs on liberal tears."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40491 on: October 18, 2020, 06:15:06 am »

HELLO AMERICANS. I TOO AM AN AMERICAN. MY POLICY IS GUN, THE ENVIRONMENT IS A LIBERAL MYTH AND PRAYER IN SCHOOLS

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40492 on: October 18, 2020, 06:44:37 am »

HELLO AMERICANS. I TOO AM AN AMERICAN. MY POLICY IS GUN, THE ENVIRONMENT IS A LIBERAL MYTH AND PRAYER IN SCHOOLS

*loud clapping*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40493 on: October 18, 2020, 07:06:06 am »

So Qanon was mentioned on my news the other day an it took a while for me to realise what it was they were calling it because I hadn't thought of it pronounced like that.

So just a thought. How would you pronounce it?
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40494 on: October 18, 2020, 07:10:22 am »

It's pronounced Steve Quannon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40495 on: October 18, 2020, 07:38:29 am »

So Qanon was mentioned on my news the other day an it took a while for me to realise what it was they were calling it because I hadn't thought of it pronounced like that.

It's the letter Q, pronounced by itself, followed by the first two syllables of anonymous. You should have three syllables in there. Exact emphasis and pronunciation varies a bit depending on accent and whatnot, but that's the pattern. Q A non or ah non.

I'm not sure how else you're supposed to be pronouncing it, though, literally every time I've heard it said was said like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40496 on: October 18, 2020, 07:40:09 am »

Channon.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40497 on: October 18, 2020, 09:15:47 am »

Qapla'

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40498 on: October 18, 2020, 09:22:08 am »

Kwannon, like the Japanese version of Kuan Yin, the Buddhist goddess of mercy. Also, a mutant assassin in the X-Men comic books.

Ergo, Q confirmed for Japanese mutant assassin. #WW1WTFBBQ

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40499 on: October 18, 2020, 10:19:02 am »

It's the letter Q, pronounced by itself, followed by the first two syllables of anonymous. You should have three syllables in there. Exact emphasis and pronunciation varies a bit depending on accent and whatnot, but that's the pattern. Q A non or ah non.

I'm not sure how else you're supposed to be pronouncing it, though, literally every time I've heard it said was said like that.

That's how they said it too, but in my head I've always pronounced it Quannon like RedQuing did above. I've never heard it said before, only read it it, so it never crossed my mind before.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2698 2699 [2700] 2701 2702 ... 3566