Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2625 2626 [2627] 2628 2629 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226217 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39390 on: September 18, 2020, 08:33:47 pm »

I win lots of laughs.
America isn't going to "fall" anymore than it did when Obama was elected, or Bush, or Clinton, or Bush #1, or Regan, or Carter.
Try and relax, there will be another Democrat president they you can talk down to the unhinged republicans who claim the world is ending. You're just gonna have to wait until after Trump second term. :)
You know, doing a victory dance on someone's grave who isn't even buried yet is poor form. Not to mention, karma can be a serious bitch.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39391 on: September 18, 2020, 08:33:58 pm »

Change the rules? The Republicans have already declared that it's not legitimate for a president to pick a new Supreme Court justice during an election year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland_Supreme_Court_nomination

On March 16, 2016, President Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States to succeed Antonin Scalia, who had died one month earlier. At the time of his nomination, Garland was the Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

This vacancy arose during Obama's final year as president, and shortly after Scalia's death was announced, Republican Senate leaders declared that because Scalia's seat had become vacant during an election year, the Senate would not even consider a nomination from the president. Senate Democrats criticized the move as being unprecedented and responded saying that there was sufficient time to vote on a nominee before the election.

If they cram through a Supreme Court justice if and before Trump loses office then they're massive hypocrites. They already changed the rules saying a whole year wasn't long enough to put someone in.

Trump and co really cannot shove a nomination through in the next two months without huge fallout. If precedent from 2016 counts then the nomination needs to be done in the next term. If there's a constitutional crisis as a result of the election and Trump tries to cram some crony in there post-haste so they can vote in Trump's favor, then that's one way the situation go go south in a hurry.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 08:36:26 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39392 on: September 18, 2020, 08:36:04 pm »

You say that like you expect Republicans to have heard of the concept of "shame". McConnell said months ago that he'd absolutely fill any vacancy that came up.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39393 on: September 18, 2020, 08:38:50 pm »

Yeah the whole change the rules thing is bullshit, because Republicans are anal blisters who only believe in contingency, not rules. The rules are what they say on the day as long as they're beneficial to themselves.

Just appoint Merrick Garland, because according to "the rules" he should have been appointed in 2016 instead of whoever Trump put in, so in doing so, things would be square with where they should have been.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 08:42:04 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39394 on: September 18, 2020, 08:40:28 pm »

He also said it about half an hour ago!

I don't see what fallout would come from it. Trumpists are lost causes to begin with, centrists won't care because there's no law against it, and everyone else hates Trump already.

Some people are suggesting that an empty seat will drive turnout, but Republican turnout is defined by its stability to begin with, and even if Trump loses with an empty seat he'll just fill it during the lame duck session/civil war.

By comparison, filling the seat now gives more leeway for stealing the election should the opportunity be created.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39395 on: September 18, 2020, 08:44:39 pm »

Hearing that at least two GOP Senators have said they won't vote for a nominee until after Inauguration Day, but I haven't been able to find out which two. That would make it a 51-49 vote. Need to peel two more, because Pence would be the tiebreaker.

EDIT: Dems are also floating a threat that if the GOP pushes forward with this, then if Biden wins and the Dems retake the Senate (roughly a 50/50 chance of that right now), they'll kill the filibuster and expand the SC by four seats, wiping out any ideological gains the new Justice would provide. So....yeah.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 08:47:00 pm by RedKing »

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39396 on: September 18, 2020, 08:45:52 pm »

I win lots of laughs.
America isn't going to "fall" anymore than it did when Obama was elected, or Bush, or Clinton, or Bush #1, or Regan, or Carter.
Try and relax, there will be another Democrat president they you can talk down to the unhinged republicans who claim the world is ending. You're just gonna have to wait until after Trump second term. :)
You know, doing a victory dance on someone's grave who isn't even buried yet is poor form. Not to mention, karma can be a serious bitch.

I was laughing at MSH comment, not at RGB's death. I've already said what I think of RGB. Hate her politics. She should have retired and spent the last of her life comfortable, but she thought it was her duty until death to safeguard her seat. Don't see how anyone could hate her. Then again, I guess the left has never held things like duty, personal responsibility, and self sacrifice in high regard.

"Aaaaaand already the finest minds the Right has to offer are crafting shitty, tasteless memes to celebrate someone's death. Now, I'm not going to get too self-righteous about that, because frankly there's at least 100+ prominent folks in the GOP, Trump administration, and assorted "punditry" who I'd gleefully celebrate if they keeled over dead. But it's still a sign of where we are as a country, and where we're heading."

Hmm here are some of the first comment I saw on my right wing discord:
There shall be no celebrating! We are not leftists. I would love it if Trump's statement is along the lines of what an amazing person she was
Justice Ginsberg... hero to some, villain to others, did what she thought was best for the people of America...
I very rarely agree about celebrating the death of another human (there are always exceptions) but Ginsburg was just very badly mistaken as to her views of what was "good".  She WAS very passionate about civil rights, and that is needed in whomever fills her seat
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39397 on: September 18, 2020, 08:49:35 pm »

There shall be no celebrating! We are not leftists.

sounds like a bunch of nazis branding anyone with different politics like that. Anyone who says "leftists" like that is a moron. we don't eat babies like those leftists do, do we?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39398 on: September 18, 2020, 08:49:43 pm »

Congratulations, maybe you associate with a slightly higher grade of person than the average right-wing watering hole.

On Facebook, it's a non-stop parade of people showing their asses, and no I'm not going to repost them. I'm sure they'll be making the rounds in the next few days.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39399 on: September 18, 2020, 08:50:44 pm »

Change the rules? The Republicans have already declared that it's not legitimate for a president to pick a new Supreme Court justice during an election year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland_Supreme_Court_nomination

On March 16, 2016, President Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States to succeed Antonin Scalia, who had died one month earlier. At the time of his nomination, Garland was the Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

This vacancy arose during Obama's final year as president, and shortly after Scalia's death was announced, Republican Senate leaders declared that because Scalia's seat had become vacant during an election year, the Senate would not even consider a nomination from the president. Senate Democrats criticized the move as being unprecedented and responded saying that there was sufficient time to vote on a nominee before the election.

If they cram through a Supreme Court justice if and before Trump loses office then they're massive hypocrites. They already changed the rules saying a whole year wasn't long enough to put someone in.

Trump and co really cannot shove a nomination through in the next two months without huge fallout. If precedent from 2016 counts then the nomination needs to be done in the next term. If there's a constitutional crisis as a result of the election and Trump tries to cram some crony in there post-haste so they can vote in Trump's favor, then that's one way the situation go go south in a hurry.

I would agree that they should have just citied politics for the reason the wouldn't take Garland. Why BS when everyone knows what is really going on?

And MSH is right, there will be no fallout. You already hate Trump what are you gonna do when he pushes through a new justice? Hate him more? No one who supports him is gonna complain about it.
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39400 on: September 18, 2020, 08:52:12 pm »

No one who supports him is gonna complain about it.
And if that doesn't bother you, guess what -- you're part of the problem.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39401 on: September 18, 2020, 08:53:39 pm »

sounds like a bunch of nazis branding anyone with different politics like that. Anyone who says "leftists" like that is a moron. we don't eat babies like those leftists do, do we?
They are just making fun of people like you, but go ahead and keep crying.
But no, we don't eat babies, support pedos, or take over racial equality movements as an excuse to burn cities either.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #39402 on: September 18, 2020, 08:55:49 pm »

In my workplace, there are two Republican voters I’m aware of that appear to think Democrats want to tear newborns from their mothers’ arms and ritually sacrifice them in the name of pro-choice legislation.

On the one hand, I want to challenge them on this to see what they say (by asking them to name one politician who has said late-term abortion should be the law) but on the other hand, ignorance is bliss.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39403 on: September 18, 2020, 08:57:55 pm »

But no, we don't eat babies, support pedos, or take over racial equality movements as an excuse to burn cities either.

You're pretty close to a QAnon, i can't take it seriously XD

Maybe you're one rung above those people who actually believe the hoax stories about Antifa starting the wildfires.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39404 on: September 18, 2020, 09:05:37 pm »

You're pretty close to a QAnon, i can't take it seriously XD

Maybe you're one rung above those people who actually believe the hoax stories about Antifa starting the wildfires.
I was going to say something similar, but held my fire.
My favorite lately was the one where someone claimed Antifa was "training small animals" to attack hikers in rural areas XD

Pages: 1 ... 2625 2626 [2627] 2628 2629 ... 3566