Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2623 2624 [2625] 2626 2627 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226460 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39360 on: September 17, 2020, 09:27:49 am »

Real Engineering's take on the F-35.

It's not as bad as it looks or is made to look. It's an impressively capable fighter and carrier aircraft despite its plentiful problems, and it has the computer hardware (unlike the F-22 and some others) to continue performing as a modern aircraft quite a ways into the future. A lot of its power and potential come from networking and avionics rather than obvious performance statistics.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39361 on: September 17, 2020, 09:29:35 am »

list
Do note that without quantifying those 'sometimes' qualifiers, that list may be similar to the lists of adverse effects of vaccines or other drugs - too rare to bother.
Furthermore, such problems should be compared to problems with existing aircraft the F-35 is slated to replace. It's not like all those older jets are perfect issue-less machines.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39362 on: September 17, 2020, 09:59:45 am »

All true, though I've read additional takes that the "sometimes" for pitch/roll/yaw problems are less 'sometimes' and more 'any time making a tight maneuver'. That one is something that a software upgrade should be able to fix, theoretically.

Also the case that we (i.e. taxpayers) have spent already over $150 billion on it, with that number expected to reach anywhere from 300 billion to 1 trillion over the next few decades. The amount per year we're spending on just the F-35 is more than many agencies' entire budgets.

Not a hill I'm going to figuratively die on at any rate, and I'd certainly rather be wrong and have the program end up well. Also, by 'competitor' to the F-35 for that new prototype I was referring to existing alongside it seeing as we're already buying new upgraded prior-gen aircraft alongside the F-35.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39363 on: September 17, 2020, 10:22:01 am »

Much of that is in the earliest-manufacture aircraft, as a result of the idiotic "concurrent design" practice where planes were beimg manufactued while the design was being finalized.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39364 on: September 17, 2020, 01:57:04 pm »

In further 'other' news, it seems a wall street investment firm is starting up the first U.S. futures contracts for water in California. Gotta monetize scarcity, after all.

Excellent times all around.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39365 on: September 17, 2020, 03:10:42 pm »

I would have thought that was already a thing...

(I imagine it'd be an attractive hedge to those with plenty of liquid assets.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39366 on: September 17, 2020, 03:24:07 pm »

(Double-post, as there's clear water, and nobody else yet said anything inbetween.)

Obama has finished his first book.

It's not out until just after this election, though, I suppose because (unlike some people) he knows to keep it classy.

I've also heard a rumour that Trump is about to finish a book he started just after his inaugeration. Something about caterpillars and hunger, apparently..?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #39367 on: September 17, 2020, 04:06:41 pm »

(Double-post, as there's clear water, and nobody else yet said anything inbetween.)

It's not out until just after this election, though, I suppose because (unlike some people) he knows to keep it classy.

I've also heard a rumour that Trump is about to finish a book he started just after his inaugeration. Something about caterpillars and hunger, apparently..?

Hey man, he aced those cognitive tests. Aced!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39368 on: September 17, 2020, 11:19:43 pm »

Hey man, he aced those cognitive tests. Aced!

Time to preorder my copy of "Person Woman Man Camera TV"

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39369 on: September 18, 2020, 12:40:35 am »

Is that the long-awaited sequel to "Whose Boat is this Boat?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39370 on: September 18, 2020, 04:56:31 am »

I do wonder what an experience of reading a whole book written solely in trumpspeak would be like. Probably necronomicon tier gibbering madness after a while.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #39371 on: September 18, 2020, 05:13:09 am »

The reason I prefer to consume Trump's twitter as second-hand retellings.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39372 on: September 18, 2020, 06:11:24 am »

I assume it'll be edited to the point of being ghost-written and Republicans will hold it up next to Atlas Shrugged as a masterpiece.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39373 on: September 18, 2020, 06:27:47 am »

Already done, with The Art Of The Deal.

(And, word on the grapevine is that Trump is almost at the point he eventually finds out why it's so hungry. The White House media team have implored irresponsible journalists not to spoil it for him at the next press rally briefing...)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39374 on: September 18, 2020, 12:38:42 pm »

"This caterpillar, he's a loser. Look how long it's taken him to eat that -- I can eat stuff way faster, just ask anybody. I mean nobody -- they said Bill Clinton was a big eater but -- just ask Melania, if you know what I mean, right?"

*Melania glares sullenly*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 2623 2624 [2625] 2626 2627 ... 3566