Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2531 2532 [2533] 2534 2535 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4222673 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37980 on: July 09, 2020, 02:02:15 am »

Clinton had to deal with that cuntbag Gingrich, while Obama started out trying to recover the fucking disaster he inherited, and two years later had a whole racist moron takeover of the opposition party which the rest of said party worked with in order to cockblock every single thing he tried.

He ain't no saint, but there was some good shit he wanted to get done, and every fucking last bit of it was mangled, mutilated, or outright corrupted before it made it past the party of no.

Acting like Obama and the democrats are responsible for the garbage fires that were burning until Trump took office requires ignoring the republicans running around leaving oily rags and lit matches scattered everywhere during both of his terms.

Are they great? Again, fuck no! They aren't the good guys, but the republicans are undeniably worse.

Remember that whole situation with Poland and France around the middle of last century?

Remember how we worked with the soviets to stop Hitler?

The soviets certainly weren't the good guys, and our white-supremacists-in-denial asses sure the fuck weren't the good guys, but Hitler was definitely worse.

Nominally on our side means "anybody who isn't a moustache twirling charicature of a villain like the republican party" and worrying about whether our allies are woke enough for our tastes only helps the worst guys.

Yeah, Republicans are worse, at least in terms of rhetoric and consistency.  Not necessarily in terms of the worst material impacts.  All of the pivotal moments in politics that have shaped the world into what we live in today involved Democrat complicity.  Like... you keep banging on racism, but you're telling us to vote for someone who was central to the greatest contribution to systemic racism of the last 30 years, and defends his actions to this day.  If you're going to keep making the word racism so central to your argument could you at least acknowledge this is something that needs to be reconciled somehow, if not make some effort to do so?  And yeah, Obama inherited a disaster, but his first response to it was one of the greatest singular contributions to wealth inequality of our time.

And I hear this argument all the time about how Democrats try to do good things, but are always foiled by Republican's bad faith abuses of procedure.  But never do these arguments acknowledge how top Democrat figures consistently contribute to increasing hypercapitalism, forever war for profit, environmental destruction, mass surveillance, state secrecy, and increasingly fascist police.  Contribute to if not plainly speak in favor of.  All the core features of a dystopia on its way to collapse.

Your premise is that Democrats are in conflict with Republicans.  My argument is that in a general sense they're not.  They put on a show and play games with each other, but the only stakes they truly compete on are aesthetics, abortion, and sometimes gay rights.  As soon as it's almost anything else, the show stops.  Democrats are not our Soviet Allies to the Republican Hitler.  And if you want me to believe otherwise, you need to stop just repeating yourself and actually tell me why I should believe it in spite of all the evidence otherwise.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37981 on: July 09, 2020, 04:04:24 am »

I guess workers should now create religious labour unions, and claim ministry exemption for every worker.
Boss wants to fire you for sleeping late and skipping a day of work? Sorry, nope, ministrial exemption.
Get fired for punching the boss in the nose because he is a douchebag?  Sorry, nope, ministrial exemption.
Boss doesn't want to pay you because you skipped work and punched him in the nose?  Just put a gun on the head of the finance department colleague until he sends money to your account.  Perfectly legal, because, ministrial exemption.

Fight fire with fire.  /s

Meanwhile in other news, Harvard university and MIT are sueing the Trump administration over the plans to deport students that only follow online classes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 06:51:23 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37982 on: July 09, 2020, 04:19:32 am »

Spoiler: unless (click to show/hide)

Man, the neckwear in that image...  What kind of slaves are those?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37983 on: July 09, 2020, 09:20:42 am »

I guess workers should now create religious labour unions, and claim ministry exemption for every worker.
Boss wants to fire you for sleeping late and skipping a day of work? Sorry, nope, ministrial exemption. [...]

That's not how it works. Now the union can also fire you whenever. (On the plus side, you might be able to sexually harass anyone you want.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:24:49 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37984 on: July 09, 2020, 09:28:16 am »

right now picking apart those nominally on our side just lets evil fuckers win, I'm sick of doing that, anybody else sick of doing that?

Yeah, that's why I'm voting against both fascists, including the one nominally on our side.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37985 on: July 09, 2020, 09:38:48 am »

Agreed, Kanye 2020.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37986 on: July 09, 2020, 10:51:10 am »

SCOTUS rules on Trump's tax returns.

Better than expected, not as good as it should've been.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37987 on: July 09, 2020, 11:10:40 am »

He says while telling me to vote for someone who was key to the legislative agenda most damaging to racial minorities of the last 30 years, and who openly advocates hypercapitalist politics.
Which legislative agenda do you mean?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37988 on: July 09, 2020, 03:11:54 pm »

He says while telling me to vote for someone who was key to the legislative agenda most damaging to racial minorities of the last 30 years, and who openly advocates hypercapitalist politics.
Which legislative agenda do you mean?

The 1994 crime bill that expanded the drug war, the death penalty, size & funding of police forces, mandatory sentencing, the prison-industrial complex, and list of federal offenses (including targeting gang association).

The effects of which included huge increases in mass incarceration, voter disenfranchisement, and police pretense/power to harass and discriminate, all with greatly disproportionate effect on racial minorities.

Like... exactly the stuff that the unprecedented nationwide BLM protests still happening right now are about.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:13:32 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37989 on: July 09, 2020, 03:38:33 pm »

Turns out SCOTUS had another curveball for us, because the entire eastern half of Oklahoma now legally belongs to the Muscogee (Creek) Nation (for criminal justice purposes, at least).

I know I told you all before that Gorsuch is fanatically pro-native rights in spite of being a chud, but god damn even I didn't expect him to start giving back the land.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:40:16 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37990 on: July 09, 2020, 03:56:22 pm »

From what I've read it's all one big jurisdictional issue. Now only federal courts can issue judgement on crimes occurring in that area until Congress steps in and does something.

This case doesn't seem to have anything to do with actual ownership of land
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37991 on: July 09, 2020, 04:12:30 pm »

Turns out SCOTUS had another curveball for us, because the entire eastern half of Oklahoma now legally belongs to the Muscogee (Creek) Nation (for criminal justice purposes, at least).

I know I told you all before that Gorsuch is fanatically pro-native rights in spite of being a chud, but god damn even I didn't expect him to start giving back the land.
that's real neato

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37992 on: July 09, 2020, 04:12:45 pm »

As I'm reading it, it will be the same as on other native land: non-native vs. non-native goes to Oklahoma, native vs. non-native goes to the federal government, native vs. native goes to the Muscogee.

But the bigger issue is that although this ruling was narrow, the logic is the same that would shift all other versions of this issue since the treaty says the land belongs to the Muscogee and Gorsuch surely intends to rule that way in future cases.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:42:56 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37993 on: July 09, 2020, 04:19:22 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:29:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37994 on: July 09, 2020, 04:21:59 pm »

Arguments happen in the fall, rulings and appeals for judgement the next summer. If any justices are going to retire, expect it in the next month or so since they are now out of session.

Cases that SCOTUS have granted cert to in these past few weeks will be argued in the fall, and so will be around the election.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:41:58 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2531 2532 [2533] 2534 2535 ... 3566