Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2488 2489 [2490] 2491 2492 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221975 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37335 on: June 09, 2020, 06:25:03 pm »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37336 on: June 09, 2020, 06:51:08 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:27:13 pm by dragdeler »
let

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37337 on: June 10, 2020, 09:30:55 am »

A Democrat introduced a bill that bans the use of nuclear and other strategic weaponry on hurricanes because they are the party of no fun allowed
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37338 on: June 10, 2020, 02:00:34 pm »

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1270581084103770112

Democrats also trying to get scale back medicare and social security further than they have been.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37339 on: June 10, 2020, 02:11:09 pm »

I think I might be alright with cutting social security at this point. If the boomers want to steal it from themselves, go forth, not like it makes a difference to me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37340 on: June 10, 2020, 03:21:22 pm »

Except that isnt what the linked PDF says...

https://scottpeters.house.gov/sites/scottpeters.house.gov/files/6.1.20%20Leadership%20Budget%20Reforms.pdf

It basically says that those programs face insolvency, and that this problem needs to be addressed before they run out of money.  They assert that expenditures for the US exceed GDP.

Quote from: PDF
We, a bipartisan group of representatives,remain committed to fighting the pandemic and the economic downturn to help the American people through this hardship. The unemployment rate is nearly 15%, and GDP could fall as much as 30%. We must confront the economic fallout from this crisis head on. As the crisis recedes and our nation recovers,we cannot ignore the pressing issue of the national debt, which could do irreparable damage to our country.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, the debt held by the public is likely to exceed 100 percent of GDP in just a few months, and it will hit record levels in a few years. In addition, trust funds for some of our most critical programs will face exhaustion far sooner than we expected as a result of the current crisis. Trust fund insolvency threatens serious hardship for those who depend on the programs.

About the only thing in there that MIGHT, maybe, kinda sideways look like "cuts", is this passage-- which really just says "Hey, if you keep throwing money at the COVID situation, you really need to look into how you are going to keep funding the government, yo."

We,therefore,respectfully request that further pandemic-response legislation include provisions for future budget reforms to ensure we confront these issues when the economy is strong enough. These reforms should have broad, bipartisan support. They should not stand in the way of our making the necessary decisions to deal with the crisis at hand. They should ensure that,in addition to addressing health and economic needs, we lay the foundation for a sustainable fiscal future by building on reforms with established bipartisan support.

It specifically mentions 2 proposed bills...

First, we must have common ground on the facts and keep this issue in our deliberations. The Fiscal State of the Nation resolution would increase the transparency of our fiscal situation by requiring GAO to present an annual report to Congress and the country detailing the fiscal health of the nation.

Second, we must create mechanisms to help Congress demonstrate greater accountability in navigating the decisions to restore our fiscal health and sustainability.Trust funds for Social Security, Disability Insurance, Medicare Hospital Insurance, and Highway programs face insolvency, now possibly all within a decade. Enacting a consensus process like the Time to Rescue United States Trusts (TRUST) Act would create special bipartisan, bicameral rescue committees to give these programs the priority and urgency they deserve. Other commission structures, such as those from the Sustainable Budget Act or the Budget Control Act’s joint select committee, provide models for a comprehensive fiscal agreement.

The texts of which can be found below--

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/2733/text?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22time+to+rescue+the+united+states+trusts%22%5D%7D&r=2&s=2

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5211/text

https://www.congress.gov/bill/112th-congress/senate-bill/365/text

-----------

Reading the TRUST bill language, as far as I can tell, it just wants to establish a special committee from members of the house and senate, consisting of 12 persons, (3 selected each by the House Majority leader, the House Minority Leader, The Senate Majority Leader, and the Senate Minority leader, so it should not be possible to stuff it full of Rs that hate social programs) for the express purpose of investigating potential insolvencies of these kinds of programs, as determined by the treasurer (who is tasked with alerting the legislature of any program greater than 20bn$ in scope which faces potential insolvency).  This group will then collaborate to draft a rescue plan bill, which per the rules introduced with this bill, would not be permitted to be amended or postponed on being brought to the floor.

As far as I can tell, this group of senators is not out to gut social security.  Far the contrary-- they want to try and save it from insolvency, which is the exact opposite.  How somebody could get "Kill Social Security!" out of this document, and its attaches, I cannot easily fathom.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:39:14 pm by wierd »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37341 on: June 10, 2020, 03:41:56 pm »

Uh, traditionally in the US "save from insolvency" rhetoric has meant "gut the fuck out of it so it doesn't go bankrupt by dint of doing sod all and subsequently having fewer expenses". That's probably where that comes from.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37342 on: June 10, 2020, 03:48:18 pm »

The way it is proposed would make that very difficult;  Unless one of the factions specifically decides to select a dumb-ass in the committee, at worst there would be a deadlock in the committee.

Raising taxes is also a valid means of combating insolvency. Austerity is not the only solution. (though it is the one that Rs like the most.)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37343 on: June 10, 2020, 04:06:01 pm »

Austerity is not the only solution. (though it is the one that Rs like the most.)

Republicans generally prefer privitization. Austerity is the Democrat method. Easy mistake to make, they're continually becoming more alike.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37344 on: June 10, 2020, 04:41:04 pm »

Or they say they want government to be run like a business yet the first thing they do is reduce revenue. It's almost like they'll say what ever to get elected then do what ever best serves their masters.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37345 on: June 10, 2020, 05:43:18 pm »

Uh

Y'know, it's honestly not that surprising.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37346 on: June 10, 2020, 06:37:49 pm »

Uh

What? Wow. That's...I don't know what to say.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37347 on: June 10, 2020, 06:40:35 pm »

Uh

What? Wow. That's...I don't know what to say.
I am genuinely speechless. I have no thoughts or responses to that, and I will not dignify it with any further thought.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37348 on: June 10, 2020, 06:41:11 pm »

It's a ham-fisted attempt to capture the thunder of the movement, for political gain.

It's downright disgusting, but that is what it is. 

In the case of trump, I agree- his policing HAS been unfair-- but not in the manner Hannity supposes.  I mean, Trump has not been subjected to legal consequences for his malfeasance, and has abused executive privilege to do so more times than I care to try remembering.   Since you or I would not be able to use such an out, the policing that trump has experienced is indeed unfair-- QED;  He operates from a supremely privileged ivory tower.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37349 on: June 10, 2020, 06:45:12 pm »

I think I might be alright with cutting social security at this point. If the boomers want to steal it from themselves, go forth, not like it makes a difference to me.
Social security is not a tax-money handout. It is not "welfare". Each working person pays part of their paycheck into social security every week. Taking this money they paid in away from them in their old age is a crime. Period. The fact that each working person has no option to "opt out" of paying into the fund is also a crime imo, but that's another issue altogether.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 2488 2489 [2490] 2491 2492 ... 3566