Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2438 2439 [2440] 2441 2442 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221660 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36585 on: April 30, 2020, 01:43:48 pm »

You can see the entire text in an image here.

It is just short of Trump taking personal credit for the stimulus, and exists entirely to ensure that his signature gets shown to everybody.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36586 on: April 30, 2020, 02:25:20 pm »

I just got the IRS letter regarding the stimulus checks.  It's so Trump I think I might want to frame it or keep it in a scrapbook or something.
What do you mean, “so Trump”? Can you show an example?

Its headed by "THE WHITE HOUSE" in spite of coming from the IRS, addresses us as "My Fellow American" and at the bottom features Trump's scribble-signature.  Because Trump wants us be believe the check was his idea, and his money.  Vote for him.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36587 on: April 30, 2020, 04:01:12 pm »

Good news, everybody. We can't afford to pay for health care (somehow, even though it would save money), but we can afford to bail out the insurance companies.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36588 on: April 30, 2020, 04:28:58 pm »

The unlikely alliance trying to rescue workplace health insurance

Big businesses and powerful Democrats are aligning around a proposal to bail out employer health plans in the wake of staggering losses to the insurance industry, as some worry that a surge in uninsured Americans could give new life to a stalled push for “Medicare for All.”

unlikely

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36589 on: April 30, 2020, 04:39:51 pm »

Have a really well-designed infographic that puts the wealth of Jeff Bezos and the weathiest 400 people in perspective.

Share it far and wide, please.  Because I really don't think the majority of people truly grasp how insane it is.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36590 on: April 30, 2020, 05:05:42 pm »

Three scrolls in: wow, this is really clever!

Fivehundred scrolls later: god, I hate this
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36591 on: April 30, 2020, 05:19:52 pm »

You see, if Millennials didn't spend so much time scrolling through infographics while eating their smashed avocado on toast with their lattes at the bistro then they wouldn't be in those dire economic straights to start with.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36592 on: April 30, 2020, 05:28:23 pm »

Three scrolls in: wow, this is really clever!

Fivehundred scrolls later: god, I hate this

Yup.  Really hammers the point home.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36593 on: April 30, 2020, 05:30:43 pm »

at the bistro

the what

is this some sort of before-plague-times technology
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36594 on: April 30, 2020, 05:33:16 pm »

That infographic just demonstrates how destructive the McCarthy era's "RED MENACE!!" bullshit has been to the American public.

Because somehow, assuring everyone gets a quality education, quality and affordable healthcare, clean water and air, etc-- is "COMMUNISM!(tm)", and "COMMIES ARE BAD! DON'T TRUST EM!"

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36595 on: April 30, 2020, 06:06:18 pm »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36596 on: April 30, 2020, 06:10:26 pm »

Have a really well-designed infographic that puts the wealth of Jeff Bezos and the weathiest 400 people in perspective.

Share it far and wide, please.  Because I really don't think the majority of people truly grasp how insane it is.

Something needs to burn.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36597 on: April 30, 2020, 06:33:37 pm »

The plaintiffs in the case claimed that the "mandatory quarantine," along with interstate travel restrictions listed in an earlier version of the order, violated their rights to both procedural due process and substantive due process.

"But those liberty interests are, and always have been, subject to society's interests—society being our fellow residents," said Court of Claims Judge Christopher M. Murray.

That is a terrifying precedent.  Thinking due process depends on society's interests? WTF?  I can see rejecting that case for other reasons, but holy crap not that one!

Bezos' wealth
Yes it's a ridiculous amount of money for one person to have.  But what do you really want to do with it?  You can't even really forcibly take the wealth of Bezos - most of it is just his stock holdings.  If you nationalize his stock, you don't get any benefit from it unless you sell it; Amazon doesn't issue a dividend.  So you'd have to nationalize enough stock to re-appoint the board to issue dividends.  Otherwise the government would have to sell the stock, and $139B is not even 10% of the US budget anyway; so they could completely sell the entire stock every year and not really notice.

Hell even if the government owned Microsoft with its current $1T market cap, and sold every single stock at that price, it would not even be the entire budget, and you could only do it once.

Yes it's a good talking point to talk about taxing the rich, but it's not actually going to do anything you think it's going to do.  The system is just set up in such a way that it doesn't even matter.

You'd have to completely restructure the entire economy to deal with inequality - you can't solve it by the methods generally proposed.

So yeah wealth inequality sucks, but it is really hard to fix it by taking wealth from the top - you have to figure out how to generate more wealth at the bottom and keep it from moving up; you can't solve the problem by taking it from the top.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36598 on: April 30, 2020, 06:40:52 pm »

All wealth is generated "from the bottom", from labor. Portfolio managers just gamble with that wealth.

The monopoly money of the rich is useful and we should take it, but real wealth is in, wait for it, the means of production. Stock as a concept is just a very abstracted representation of which capitalists own which means, it is irrelevant so long as the real source of wealth is socialized. The monopoly money is just a convenient way of saying "this much effort and production goes to x", which is functional enough as a transitional policy for things like universal needs programs.

The ultimate goal is to get rid of currency entirely, but this must be accomplished incrementally (and people say I hate on incrementalism). First step is abolishing the most egregious misuses of the currency system, which is represented by the billionaire class and their more-or-less real life infinite money glitch.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36599 on: April 30, 2020, 06:42:43 pm »

Have a really well-designed infographic that puts the wealth of Jeff Bezos and the wealthiest 400 people in perspective.

Characterizing the extent of wealth inequality by focusing on solely the top 1% or top 0.001% in comparison to the average or median person isn't exactly the statistically most valid approach.
Good read on the subject:
https://medium.com/incerto/inequality-and-skin-in-the-game-d8f00bc0cb46
Pages: 1 ... 2438 2439 [2440] 2441 2442 ... 3566