Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2435 2436 [2437] 2438 2439 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221441 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36540 on: April 28, 2020, 02:47:09 pm »

Candidates who dropped out literally months before Iowa were still on the ballots. I'm not going to get in an argument about this because there is no argument to be had - it's obvious corruption and a bizarre degree of spite seeing as Bernie quit. Likely, a large part of the desire here is to primary AOC by suppressing Bernie voters.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36541 on: April 28, 2020, 02:48:19 pm »

Not to be viable as president, to shift platforms the same way he shifted Hillary's. It got results last time, and it builds enthusiasm among Bernie voters to vote for Bernie-pushed policy as part of Biden's platform. Was mildly positive for both for him to stay on, I'm annoyed he's been booted from the ballots.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36542 on: April 28, 2020, 02:51:03 pm »

I mean, it seems like a lame duck way to do things and democrats are picking up on that and just taking him off the ballot. Dirty pool perhaps but it's not like he has an active campaign and he's being sidelined. What does it even mean to suspend your campaign, endorse your opponent, but hang on with the slim chance you get enough delegates to be viable?

There's stuff that goes on at the conventions besides just officiating the presidential nominee?  Especially considering the two big parties are coalitions representing a wide variety of interests, this is where the guidelines for what this means in practice is supposed to be worked out. 

If he collects enough delegates to win one-quarter of the seats on the Democratic convention’s three influential committees ― those addressing rules and bylaws, the party platform and convention credentials ― for his allies, they can submit a minority report to the convention floor. These Sanders partisans might try to ensure a more progressive party platform or make permanent a rule change in effect during the 2020 primary that disempowered the party insiders and elected officials known as “superdelegates.”
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36543 on: April 28, 2020, 03:08:37 pm »

So a minority group is going to somehow institute a rule change that disempowers majority members.

Not that I think that's a bad thing, but it seems unlikely at best.

But I do get your argument, as Sanders by far would have more delegates than any of the other candidates.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36544 on: April 28, 2020, 03:16:55 pm »

Could people still write in Bernie Sanders?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36545 on: April 28, 2020, 03:32:37 pm »

So a minority group is going to somehow institute a rule change that disempowers majority members.

Not that I think that's a bad thing, but it seems unlikely at best.

But I do get your argument, as Sanders by far would have more delegates than any of the other candidates.

It worked in 2016.  He had an influence on the national party platform at the convention, and later the role of superdelegates was altered to make the Democrat primary... more... democratic.

He should be in a similar, if not slightly better, position at the 2020 convention.  Except the NY primary thing just poofed 250+ delegates right out of that equation.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36546 on: April 28, 2020, 04:10:23 pm »

It worked in 2016.  He had an influence on the national party platform at the convention, and later the role of superdelegates was altered to make the Democrat primary... more... democratic.

Yeah, that really seemed to work out for him, the Democratic party and Americans in general. /s
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36547 on: April 28, 2020, 04:12:47 pm »

Yeah, that really seemed to work out for him, the Democratic party and Americans in general. /s
Eh, Hillary's campaign takes the blame for the election, not Bernie's. He wasn't going against Trump. The changes in party platform and delegate structure also are more taking effect now compared to back then, feels like.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36548 on: April 29, 2020, 02:59:59 am »

Has anyone but me noticed that Mitch McConnel's frown looks like the "Innsmouth Look"?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/28/mcconnell-cries-uncle/

Is he a hybrid fishman from deep beneath devil's reef, trying to subvert the domain of the land dwellers or what? I mean, seriously-- Allow the states to go bankrupt? Is he fucking insane?

(I would laugh hysterically if somebody asks his twitter feed why he doesn't just ask his Uncle Dagon for another small family loan to pay for everything instead of being an old sourpuss.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:25:28 am by wierd »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36549 on: April 29, 2020, 03:06:07 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:21:40 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36550 on: April 29, 2020, 03:21:38 am »

DNC:
You want to radically change the platform of the DNC? Sorry, but we don't have any support from the electorate for that--

Young Voter:
That's because you did not allow us to present that message to you during the primaries.

DNC:
WE DON'T HAVE ANY SUPPORT FROM THE ELECTORATE FOR THAT. (now shut up and vote as you're told!)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36551 on: April 29, 2020, 07:05:24 am »

Apparently Andrew Yang is suing New York over the primary thing.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36552 on: April 29, 2020, 08:46:59 am »

Apparently Andrew Yang is suing New York over the primary thing.
Damn, good on him. He's done some good stuff this campaign, both from a platform perspective and a campaign behavior perspective.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36553 on: April 29, 2020, 09:43:29 am »

Agree with his policy or not, I think Andrew Yang was one of the most genuine people in the race as far as wanting to actually help people is concerned. Dude seems far too human to get into politics.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36554 on: April 29, 2020, 11:03:18 am »

To every Yin, a Yang. To every Kato, a Mio will rise. He is the one who will bring balance to the Senate.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2435 2436 [2437] 2438 2439 ... 3566