Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2380 2381 [2382] 2383 2384 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202887 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35715 on: March 21, 2020, 10:20:51 am »

The liquidity is just them trying to resolve whatever the fucking hell is going wrong with the bonds market that the massive sell-off in stocks hasn't caused people to buy safer stuff (namely bonds, but even gold is down, and that's super fucking weird). So they're just buying bonds in massive amounts to pump cash into the system because the market is having a panic attack.

I'm really not concerned about the actions of the Fed myself, the economic problems of the moment are gonna be much more direct I think. Like when we see unemployment numbers... It's gonna be bad. You don't just shut down major parts of the world without massive economic problems resulting. Even if it was just New York and California being affected in the US that'd already be a hell of a blow, but given that there's slowdown across the board in addition to straight-up shutdowns...

And the global consequences we will only barely begin to see. China shutting down for as long as it did will already have a ripple effect throughout the world economy; adding in what's happening elsewhere and even as China picks back up it won't have places to export to. McTraveller is right, there's going to be a lot of governments telling industries "Hey just try to stay alive until this is over."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35716 on: March 21, 2020, 10:28:10 am »

The world economy is like an obese alcoholic chain-smoker in his late 60s who doesn't believe in going to the doctor. Since he doesn't go to the doctor, he doesn't see any reason to think his health is bad. He doesn't engage in activities outside what are socially normalized, so he isn't worried about his habits. Sure, drug addicts might die young, but not him. He gets sick every once in a while, and he doesn't actually know his colds are lasting three times as long as healthier people. His dad taught him that real men don't worry about pain, and so when he feels sharp unexplained chest pains he powers through it, because he's no fucking sissy.

He is Late Stage Capitalism, and he is about to have a massive heart attack like the one that killed his dad, Mid Stage Capitalism, back in the 30s.

This is the shape of the Great Annihilation. It may or may not be the Last One, but it's definitely shaping up to be a Big One, and no matter the outcome, that rate of profit is going to continue to decrease on average.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35717 on: March 21, 2020, 11:21:59 am »

Nancy Pelosi is now several steps to the right of Donald Trump, arguing against strong support for those affected for Coronavirus while taking decisive action to insulate herself from the economic shock by selling her stock based on inside information. I want her recalled, or maybe impeached.
Also that, neither of those are actually happening. The latter in particular, unless folks have dug up something else, was fucking fabricated in relation to stocks that A) were expiring or some shit the day they were traded B) were traded prior to major briefings other congressfucks were caught dumping stock after and C) don't show any sign of being unusual in basically any goddamn way. We have congress folks showing signs of holy shit corruption (like that GOP fuck that voted against the stock act or whatever it was, dumped stocks immediately after a major briefing, and then proceeded to try to downplay the dangers of the crow plague in public), but pelosi doesn't actually seem to be one of them.

I think PTTG?? is mistaking her for Dianne Feinstein.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35718 on: March 21, 2020, 11:37:19 am »

So if your income is tied to a "nonessential", you have no income.  You want to keep the essentials, so somehow you need to pay the people providing the essentials.  There are two ways to do this:  pay the essential providers directly and have them "give out" the essentials, or pay everyone (including people who provide essentials and are getting paid already) so they can still pay for the essentials.

Hypothetically you could just give money to the 'nonessential' people (e.g. heavily jack up unemployment insurance payments), but our unemployment system is reportedly getting completely overwhelmed right now. (The whole 'right a tight ship with lean staffing' thing has happened to a certain extent publicly as well as privately)

Anecdotally speaking (picked up from my line of work), that sounds like the sort of thing Feinstein might do. (Generally speaking - I haven't heard anything in this realm relating to her specifically)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35719 on: March 21, 2020, 11:39:33 am »

Is Feinstein also pronounced Faynsteen instead of Feensteen or Faynstayn like Weinstein is?
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35720 on: March 21, 2020, 11:50:50 am »

Is Feinstein also pronounced Faynsteen instead of Feensteen or Faynstayn like Weinstein is?

I've heard Fine-stine, which I guess is Faynstayn, or like Einstein.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:53:13 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35721 on: March 21, 2020, 11:53:09 am »

I've heard Fine-stine, which I guess is Faynstayn.

Fine-stine is right. (Stine being like the beer holder, just 's' instead of 'sh'.)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #35722 on: March 21, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »

Yeah, that's what I get for posting at 4am
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35723 on: March 21, 2020, 05:33:38 pm »

Ah. Yeah, iirc feinstein was actually one of the sketchy ones. Want to say the closest to deniability there was that it was more her husband doing the selling than her (due to her financial junk being in a blind trust or something), but I may be confusing it with someone else. Feel free to chuck tomatoes at that one, though. Pretty sure she's been a ~why the hell are you in this party~ for a while now.

Anyway, re: the Fed stuff, let me make clear I don't actually think with any emphasis that it, specifically, is exactly fucking up? As near as I can tell, in a relative void, what they're doing isn't exactly wildly out of line for what we're experiencing. The thing I'm noting is that them making major action like that in the face of the relative inaction of the rest of the federal/non-state/local government is a super bloody bad look. Because you got the gov't managing to be unfucked and active on exactly one front, and it's what looks like bailing out the stock market to the tune of trillions of dollars, while thousands to millions of american citizens lose their jobs and otherwise get screwed over hard by the very same chucklefucks the Fed's carrying water for in doing so.

Intellectually, I get why it's happening and don't entirely think the Fed is doing wrong. Less intellectually I can physically feel it radicalizing me in real time and my eat-the-rich jokes becoming less of a joke and more of a "how do you build guillotines again?" sentiment, because fuck a system that's going to unfuck that one part of it while largely leaving the rest of us in the goddamn lurch for weeks to months in the middle of a fucking pandemic with the possibility of a world war scale body count.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35724 on: March 21, 2020, 05:37:14 pm »

Yes, goooood. Feel the radicalization flow through you. Feel the power it gives. Join me, Frumple. It is your destiny.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35725 on: March 21, 2020, 06:21:11 pm »

Yes, goooood. Feel the radicalization flow through you. Feel the power it gives. Join me, Frumple. It is your destiny.
i read this in GraystillPlays’s voice

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35726 on: March 21, 2020, 07:23:14 pm »

Little known fact, his name was actually Werenstain, but people mis-remember it as the more common spelling Weinstein.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35727 on: March 21, 2020, 07:40:44 pm »

I thought but was Sean Bearenstein
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35728 on: March 21, 2020, 09:02:23 pm »

Isn't he the guy that died filming Shazam?

Also this is the US, west to east:

cities! hills! OH FUCK MOUNTAINS city or two downhill CORN HELL suburbcitysuburbcitysuburb mountains CITIES!!!

Going north to south adds a bit of variation to that, but geographically the south end of corn hell is just hotter than the north end, and the post-appalachia sprawl of burbs and cities damn near extends from the great lakes down to the gulf now.

There are a couple of deserts mixed in with the western mountains, and some of the areas over in the southwest where they flatten out are just hot and dry, but the west coast ain't got nothing approaching a desert really. Pacific northwest is a rainforest, Socal is the only mediterranean biome in the US.

As for the bailout, lol money printer go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35729 on: March 21, 2020, 09:57:13 pm »

Corn Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 2380 2381 [2382] 2383 2384 ... 3566