Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2312 2313 [2314] 2315 2316 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204348 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34695 on: February 10, 2020, 02:12:13 pm »

The thing is, rumors continue to circulate that most members of the Republican party are sick of Trump and all the problems he causes, so on those grounds I would expect them to push toward a return to some normalcy after he's gone and they no longer have to fear the electorate turning on them.

To me it seems that it really will depend on what the next round of candidates bring to the table.  If we see more Trumpism, that's going to be a bad sign.  I admit I don't know much about the prospective candidates this round, but I haven't heard anything like that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34696 on: February 10, 2020, 02:45:19 pm »

The thing is, rumors continue to circulate that most members of the Republican party are sick of Trump and all the problems he causes, so on those grounds I would expect them to push toward a return to some normalcy after he's gone and they no longer have to fear the electorate turning on them.

Except now his base has gotten a taste for "the straight talkin guy who gets things "done"". So the next Republican president is going to have to live up to that image. Doesn't mean they won't go back to doing business the old fashioned way in private, but publicly they're probably going to have to say horrible stuff, act without compromise, attack anyone that publicly disagrees with them and generally continue to take the piss out of the office of the Presidency.

Because face it, if the base responds to just being a complete jackass, it's far easier and cheaper to be a complete jackass than the alternative if you want to secure your chances of election.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34697 on: February 10, 2020, 03:11:17 pm »

The next phase of the GOP will be to admit that climate change is real, despair that it can't be fixed, blame the Democrats for preventing them from fixing it, and demand that we start gunning down "invaders" (climate refugees) while insisting China and India sterilize a fifth of their population or be declared rogue states.

The average GOP voter will immediately and seamlessly adapt to this position, and claim nobody had ever known any better than it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34698 on: February 10, 2020, 03:17:26 pm »

I think we'll end up seeing more of the Ron DeSantis types.

As a refresher, Ron DeSantis, current Governor of Florida, ran with a campaign that was extremely pro-Trump, including one comically direct commercial that included him with a baby, teaching the child to "Build that wall!" with toy blocks, among other Trumpisms.

Once he got into office though, it all turned a lot more subdued, and honestly not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. There's been some questionable stuff going on, but all in all he's been your typical republican governor that just doesn't stand out at all, in both good and bad ways. He's not doing anything amazing to improve the state, but he's also not doing anything that's really riling up anyone either. He's definitely making Republican plays, but so far he's not pulled out any crazy bathroom bills or gone heavy in on union busting or anything.

Now, I'm no fan of the guy. But after 8 years of Rick "Pocket Full of Piss Tests" Scott, it's almost a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, point is, I think, just like the Tea Party last decade, we'll see a lot of more or less normal republicans, doing normal republican things, but simply filling their speeches with diet Trump-style rhetoric.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34699 on: February 10, 2020, 03:49:36 pm »

And that might be a significant factor as to why Sanders LOST the popular vote 43% to 55%.

Of course, that's suspect, too.

Just one example. I remember seeing similar stories in multiple other states, although that instance in NY was the most egregious and easiest to look up 4 years later.  Brooklyn took the biggest hit.  Coincidentally Sander's birthplace and a stronghold for him.

The stuff that happened in Iowa this year is nothing compared to what 2016 was.  Only difference is people weren't prepared to face it in 2016.  Everyone who tried to raise alarms about incidents like that was shrugged off as hysterical, and reminded that Sanders should be thankful the Democrats are tolerating his insurgent ass at all.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34700 on: February 10, 2020, 10:24:24 pm »

Why do people keep talking about Sanders being some kind of an insurgent when both Warren and Bloomberg used to be republicans?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34701 on: February 10, 2020, 10:32:30 pm »

Not much "used to" when it comes to Bloomberg.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34702 on: February 10, 2020, 11:01:47 pm »

Why do people keep talking about Sanders being some kind of an insurgent when both Warren and Bloomberg used to be republicans?

Because extreme leftist I guess?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34703 on: February 11, 2020, 12:26:29 am »

Here's a file photo of Sanders
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34704 on: February 11, 2020, 07:42:59 am »

Because extreme leftist I guess?
For the US at least, anyway. For the rest of the world the man is clearly dead-centre. Hell, he has even outright defended capitalism in the past. Such praxis, eh?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34705 on: February 11, 2020, 08:11:40 am »

I'm guessing the Cold War played a part in why the USA thinks some things are far left when other countries don't think those same things are far left. I am a USA citizen and I don't think universal healthcare is far left, but the government doesn't appear to represent citizens anyway

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34706 on: February 11, 2020, 08:24:48 am »

I'm guessing the Cold War played a part in why the USA thinks some things are far left when other countries don't think those same things are far left. I am a USA citizen and I don't think universal healthcare is far left, but the government doesn't appear to represent citizens anyway

I wonder if Europe has it the opposite way, that because of Fascism and Nazism, there's a distorted idea of Right leaning politics. So we're scared of going too left, and they're scared of going too right.

<doesn't know much about European politics

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34707 on: February 11, 2020, 08:54:50 am »

Maybe

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34708 on: February 11, 2020, 08:56:22 am »

I wonder if Europe has it the opposite way, that because of Fascism and Nazism, there's a distorted idea of Right leaning politics. So we're scared of going too left, and they're scared of going too right.

<doesn't know much about European politics

To be fair, the US had more than its fair share of Nazi supporters during WWII (still does, but also used to), to the point we built our own concentration camps. That hasn't pushed the country even further left. There may be some areas of Europe who were affected that way, but not many. It probably comes down to the message the people in power were pushing at the time.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34709 on: February 11, 2020, 09:08:29 am »

Europe is massively right wing in an intractable and self-destructive manner that is actively diving towards fascism from Germany eastward.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2312 2313 [2314] 2315 2316 ... 3566