Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2305 2306 [2307] 2308 2309 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4206261 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34590 on: February 06, 2020, 03:14:20 am »

Perhaps at this point the only thing I can hope for is the old "No wars have ever been fought between two democracies" maxim to kick in, when all the other democracies of the world realize that America is no longer a democracy, and they come to the conclusion that having the world's hegemony be a shitty corrupt dictatorship is too large a risk to take, and so just team up to gangstomp us into fucking dust.
Now I'm not defending the ridiculous concept of democracy by any means, but saying the country's "no longer a democracy" because of this is a bit of a stretch.   

As for your second paragraph... well, I'm not sure why you'd want to miss out on that, assuming such an event is going to happen within our lifetimes.   

Sorry, I just woke up feeling really fucked, and then I get online just to learn even more reasons to feel fucked, and it feels like the world is in an inescapable slippery slope to pure dystopia. Not that recent events clinch it, but predict the inevitability of it. And there's nothing I can do about it besides accepting it or rejecting it, and both choices are no-win.

Tingle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34591 on: February 06, 2020, 04:44:08 am »

You enjoying the bread and circus? I don't, go find some psilocybe mushrooms and eat them.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34592 on: February 06, 2020, 04:50:10 am »

Sorry, I just woke up feeling really fucked, and then I get online just to learn even more reasons to feel fucked, and it feels like the world is in an inescapable slippery slope to pure dystopia.

I am reading "optimism over despair" from Noam Chomsky right now. His analysis of where we are and how we got here is sobering but it makes me feel better at the same time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34593 on: February 06, 2020, 05:35:53 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34594 on: February 06, 2020, 08:44:14 am »

As I've said before, the only thing worth it is laughing about how fucked bitchbaby is once he leaves office.

0%? I'm guessing it will be 0%.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34595 on: February 06, 2020, 11:01:34 am »

My observations:

"We don't like them" is not a good reason to try and impeach a President. Which is why I think the effort failed, because they were grasping at straws for an article of impeachment and could only come up with wishy-washy stuff and not following rigorous procedures to find a solid case. I mean from day 1 it was a witch hunt. You'd think you could find something better on which to base a trial, like leaking state secrets over Twitter or something.

That said, the response to "not following proper procedures" for real crimes (and there are most probably "real crimes") should not be "acquit" - it should still be "guilty" but you should also then have a "the other side is guilty too" in some sense.  Probably what you should do is kick everyone out of office, because they are all failing at their duty.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:36:07 am by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34596 on: February 06, 2020, 11:29:52 am »

Last minute address scheduled for Bernie at 1pm

3 STE Microtransactiona behind the CIA at this time, actual vote lead widened

GET HYPE
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34597 on: February 06, 2020, 11:35:43 am »

Really, I just checked and bernie and buttigeig are only .1% apart.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/many-errors-are-evident-in-iowa-caucus-results-released-wednesday/ar-BBZIMYd

may be of interest though,
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:38:25 am by wierd »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34598 on: February 06, 2020, 11:46:27 am »

That's the STE count, Bernie is thousands ahead in real votes. But it looks like Bernie is about to win their fake metric too.

Yes, CIA Pete tried to steal the election, but with all the receipts in hand Bernie has arrived to exact-

Vengeance.

Even self destructing their own caucus did not deliver the DNC victory. Let them weep and wail into the uncaring night.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34599 on: February 06, 2020, 11:50:43 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:07:18 pm by dragdeler »
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34600 on: February 06, 2020, 12:03:32 pm »

My observations:

"We don't like them" is not a good reason to try and impeach a President. Which is why I think the effort failed, because they were grasping at straws for an article of impeachment and could only come up with wishy-washy stuff and not following rigorous procedures to find a solid case. I mean from day 1 it was a witch hunt. You'd think you could find something better on which to base a trial, like leaking state secrets over Twitter or something.

That said, the response to "not following proper procedures" for real crimes (and there are most probably "real crimes") should not be "acquit" - it should still be "guilty" but you should also then have a "the other side is guilty too" in some sense.  Probably what you should do is kick everyone out of office, because they are all failing at their duty.

Using taxpayer money to coerce a foreign power to dig up dirt on a political opponent is not "not following proper procedures". There was no "witch hunt" - Pelosi fought impeachment until given an offense that simply could not be ignored. The effort failrd because too many Republican Senators feared that their own constuients oud revolt if they helped tear down a Republican president, particularly when the right-wing media has been feeding those voters a !assive string of fiction for the last few years.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34601 on: February 06, 2020, 12:07:26 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:07:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34602 on: February 06, 2020, 12:55:48 pm »

Put another way: I bet that if there hadn't been the aura from day 1 of "we're going to impeach him" then the charges probably would have stuck.  But because of the high divisiveness throughout the term, the republicans just stonewalled (I can't imagine the party really likes the president) to stick it to the Dems.

(The procedure I meant was like in finding criminal evidence - it felt more like looking for circumstantial rather than material evidence.  It didn't help that some of the things are subjective - "that is inappropriate" is different than "there is a law right here specifically covering that.")
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34603 on: February 06, 2020, 12:56:57 pm »

And just like clockwork: Tom Perez halts the release of the final results in Iowa for a FULL RECANVAS twenty minutes before Bernie's likely victory speech. I'm sure the DNC appointees will ensure a more...proper count of things by the Iowa Democrats over the following months.

But since they won't call it, I guess it falls to me: Bernie Sanders wins the Iowa Democratic Primary Caucus. The political revoltution surges forth, and there is nothing the DNC can do to halt it. From here to the White House.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34604 on: February 06, 2020, 01:12:17 pm »

You know, Rocky De La Fuente is looking like a pretty good choice.
Pages: 1 ... 2305 2306 [2307] 2308 2309 ... 3566