Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2248 2249 [2250] 2251 2252 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4207356 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33735 on: December 18, 2019, 08:59:38 pm »

Trump has been impeached.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33736 on: December 18, 2019, 09:04:14 pm »

Trump has been impeached.

And now the Senate will vote to keep him right where he is.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33737 on: December 18, 2019, 09:33:12 pm »

Imagine Trump suffering actual negative consequences once for his actions.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33738 on: December 18, 2019, 10:28:23 pm »

Imagine Trump suffering actual negative consequences once for his actions.
Sadly, this function has atrophied for me.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33739 on: December 18, 2019, 10:38:42 pm »

Republicans: We should change the laws so that we can't punish rich people.

Corporate Dems: I agree with my husband.

*Twenty years later, can't punish Trump for his actions*

Corporate Dems: *shocked pikachu*
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33740 on: December 18, 2019, 11:19:38 pm »

I'm so goddamn disappointed that I once thought good things of Gabbard.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33741 on: December 19, 2019, 04:56:29 am »

So... Afghanistan, huh?
Black lives matter.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33742 on: December 19, 2019, 08:49:48 am »

Not sure what that references, but no, as disgusted as I am with the cowards on the republican side huddling behind the president like a pack of abused bitchwolves (i.e. modern dogs) I can't honestly say I expected any different at this point.

Gabbard though, she goddamn knows better than to go on record as some sort of passive enabler with "present" votes on the question of whether the orange turdbaby abused his power and obstructed congress.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33743 on: December 19, 2019, 08:55:25 am »

I think they were asking about what the good thoughts used to be.

Actually do seem to recall my initial exposure to gabbard being fairly positive, years ago, if I'm not conflating them with some other politician. I can't remember why, but I vaguely remember there being a point they weren't basically a living trash fire, or at least where I wasn't aware of it and had seen some okay/good things. Just don't ask me what they were, I don't recall and it no longer matters.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33744 on: December 19, 2019, 09:25:58 am »

Eh, Gabbard has been one of the more moderate voices, and this fits with that trend.

I don't say I agree with it. But I think I understand her reasoning. (Assuming it's not simple attention grabbing trying to get back into the news cycle as a presidential candidate.)

The impeachment will stand as a de facto censure vote. But it's easy enough for republicans to spin it as a partisan play when there's absolutely nobody on their side willing to back it. I tend to be on the side that even when you know the outcome won't matter, you still have to go through the motions of doing the right thing, so impeachment it is. But I can understand her frustration with the process and the fact that it simply won't do anything effective. And I can even understand the angle where a censure vote, with no teeth to it, might have in fact gotten some republican support and actually done more damage to Trump, and less to widen the divide between the two sides.

As it is, impeachment is all out warfare, not just on trump, but, as they've spun it, on the republican party. And when things start getting that heated, sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and accept that, yeah, you don't like the guy, but he's not currently shooting at you, unlike the other party.

Again, I think impeachment is the correct path. Really the only choice given the shit Trump's done. But it's also going to be completely ineffective. Polls have shown that people aren't really changing their minds, simply getting more entrenched in their positions.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33745 on: December 19, 2019, 10:10:11 am »

Eh, Gabbard has been one of the more moderate voices, and this fits with that trend.

'Moderate' as in the centrist/neoliberal idea that "the only thing worse than what the Republicans are doing is trying to fix things"?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33746 on: December 19, 2019, 10:19:14 am »

Here's the thing. There's no point in trying to fix something, or build something, if it's construction is framed in terms that makes the other side simply want to tear it down at the first opportunity.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33747 on: December 19, 2019, 10:21:21 am »

My little sister is a jarhead, my grandfather Max would answer just as readily to "Gunny", I briefly considered joining until the recruiter looked at my ASVAB scores and the realization that I'm an anarchist at heart and told me to go get a degree or something. As anti-war-on-terror I may be, I default to pro-soldier still.

I appreciated the weight she applied to the idea of sending kids overseas to die, having gone over there to risk it she wouldn't be expected to be eager to do it to others.

She was also a fan of Inouye but really, if you're not, move the hell to France or some bullshit.

Taking care of the hawaiian ecosystem is a noble cause she was behind, scored more points for me.

Bonus: she's not an old white dude.

Then she started chipping away at whatever positive impressions I started with until we get where I am now: thoroughly disgusted with her, angry at myself for having talked her up to others, and disappointed because what may have been a gesture of bipartisan good will 20 years ago ends up as nothing but a betrayal nowadays.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33748 on: December 19, 2019, 11:40:42 am »

Here's the thing. There's no point in trying to fix something, or build something, if it's construction is framed in terms that makes the other side simply want to tear it down at the first opportunity.
The problem is, the only thing the construction needs to be hated at this moment is the "author" column.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33749 on: December 19, 2019, 03:17:11 pm »

The problem is, the only thing the construction needs to be hated at this moment is the "author" column.

And this is a problem that needs to be worked on. Trump isn't the problem. Trump is a symptom of this larger problem of partisanship. We never would have gotten to this point if we hadn't spent 8 years of Bush being the literal devil to one half of the country and then 8 years of Obama being the literal antichrist to the other half of the country. Neither one of them was NEARLY as bad a president as their opponents would like to make them out to be. Not that it started with them, but that's really where it reached a head.

We're never going to get past this divide unless something changes. But nothing's going to change because the people in charge like it this way. Ideally we'd just ban all political parties from the process. Everyone in congress has to run on their own platform with their own positions, and make their own cases for why they vote the way they vote and explain it to the people they represent instead of just "Oh yeah, we're the same party, vote for me."

Short of that, maybe there's a chance of telling Fox News/MSNBC to shut the hell up and do their jobs rather than push their boss's agendas. Second only to the parties I place the blame squarely on media and their blatant spinning of the truth in almost every story they tell these days. When they do get it right, they get it really right. I'm not saying they've completely failed at their jobs, but their day to day reporting is absolute shit.
Pages: 1 ... 2248 2249 [2250] 2251 2252 ... 3566