Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2098 2099 [2100] 2101 2102 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204597 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31485 on: August 05, 2019, 06:38:04 pm »

I am in general happy to confirm (again) that myself and my immediate circle of religionators are perfectly capable of being Christians while also actively supporting things like better/federal gun laws and environmental protections, while also holding an utter disdain for racism. Short version, I am as frustrated and angry as you, if not more so in some ways, that people who claim to share the same beliefs as I do are supporting things so diametrically opposed to them.

You have expressed my own vague thoughts about this, better than I have been able to. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:14:34 pm by Eschar »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31486 on: August 05, 2019, 11:32:21 pm »

Trump's determined he's going to lose the next election, so he wants to make the economy collapse so that it's a "bad economy" for democrats.

Wouldn't that be committing career suicide?

Well, more that he knows what he wants (a weak US dollar, lower interest rates) and is more than willing to take the whole global economy down with him if that means getting those two things.

It'd probably help if he was actually in control of those two things, which he isn't; instead, he has to resort to tanking the global economy and hoping that it gets him the outcome he wants.

Powell, however, seems unamused.

He may know what HE wants, but does he know whether it's a good idea? Also, for all we know, he probably thinks that the US economy will 'take off like a rocket', free of economic gravity.

Still, while tariffs will definetly hurt things, it'll take more than that to take the global economy down. Chances are that some other external shock will be what causes the global economy to nosedive.

Though a full blown trade war that we haven't seen the likes of since the European Great Powers era would definetly crater the economy.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #31487 on: August 06, 2019, 07:13:02 am »

No-deal Brexit is going to happen in a couple of months. That’ll be quite a kick to the face of the global economy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31488 on: August 07, 2019, 06:23:26 pm »

President Trump along with two Ohio Dem's visited an Ohio hospital today, to meet with the staff and victims following the recent shooting. Afterwards, the Dem's who were there talked to the media:

Quote from: Senator Sherrod Brown
He was received as well as you can expect by the patients. They are hurting. He was comforting. He and Melania did the right things. It's his job in part to comfort people. I'm glad he did it.
Quote from: Mayor Nan Whaley
I think the victims and the first responders were grateful that the president of the United States came to Dayton.

Trump was quick to respond:

Quote from: Donald Trump
I saw failed Presidential Candidate (0%) Sherrod Brown & Mayor Whaley totally misrepresenting what took place inside of the hospital. Their news conference after I left for El Paso was a fraud. It bore no resemblance to what took place with those incredible people that I was so lucky to meet and spend time with.

Of course nobody is surprised that our President is taking a national tragedy and making it all about himself. We are a bit confused however as to what specifically he is taking issue with...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31489 on: August 07, 2019, 06:37:40 pm »

I think he didn’t pay attention to what was said and assumed it was negative, either that or he just needs someone to insult

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31490 on: August 07, 2019, 07:47:29 pm »

I mean, did they say anything else? Like follow that up with "but he smells like burnt bacon and we wish he'd stay home" or something?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31491 on: August 07, 2019, 10:00:57 pm »

President Trump along with two Ohio Dem's visited an Ohio hospital today, to meet with the staff and victims following the recent shooting. Afterwards, the Dem's who were there talked to the media:

Quote from: Senator Sherrod Brown
He was received as well as you can expect by the patients. They are hurting. He was comforting. He and Melania did the right things. It's his job in part to comfort people. I'm glad he did it.
Quote from: Mayor Nan Whaley
I think the victims and the first responders were grateful that the president of the United States came to Dayton.

Trump was quick to respond:

Quote from: Donald Trump
I saw failed Presidential Candidate (0%) Sherrod Brown & Mayor Whaley totally misrepresenting what took place inside of the hospital. Their news conference after I left for El Paso was a fraud. It bore no resemblance to what took place with those incredible people that I was so lucky to meet and spend time with.

Of course nobody is surprised that our President is taking a national tragedy and making it all about himself. We are a bit confused however as to what specifically he is taking issue with...
So, the Dem said he was comforting even if the victims weren't exactly thrilled. So either the victims were thrilled to meet mr Trumpo, or he wasn't comforting at all.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31492 on: August 07, 2019, 10:08:13 pm »

He's probably angry that they didn't be effusive and treat him with ass-kissing (literal and otherwise) like the god king pope that Trump wants people to treat him like.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31493 on: August 07, 2019, 10:46:02 pm »

He's probably angry that they didn't be effusive and treat him with ass-kissing (literal and otherwise) like the god king pope that Trump wants people to treat him like.

That, and he can't let his opponents say anything about him go unchallenged, because that would be tantamount to surrendering his monopoly on the truth.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31494 on: August 07, 2019, 10:49:25 pm »

It's probably better PR for him to refute the democrats, who are wrong, than to accept a compliment from the democrats, who are wrong. The actual truth of what was said is, as always, irrelevant so long as he can spin it as him owning the liberals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31495 on: August 08, 2019, 10:07:13 am »

It's basically WWE shit talking. Works with the same demographic, I imagine.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31496 on: August 10, 2019, 03:56:30 am »

So, Joe Biden apparently cant help himself with the gaffes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/us/politics/joe-biden-poor-kids.html

"Poor kids just as bright as white kids."

Nevermind the implicit statement he did not mean to make-- White kids can never be poor.

Things like this make it hard for me to support the guy.  I am white, and was a white kid.  I was also poor.  Like "we cant afford to keep a phone in the home", and "We literally live off produce mom grows in the back yard." poor.  Biden, you can do better bro.  I know what you meant to say, but dont make these kinds of implicit statements. (sigh)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31497 on: August 10, 2019, 04:09:32 am »

I think he was vacillating between "poor kids are just as bright as rich kids" and "black kids are just as bright as white kids" and his brain shifted gears mid-sentence. He's certainly as I'm-not-racist-I-have-minority-friends as you'd expect a wealthy white septuagenarian liberal to be, but I think this speaks more to his senility and the general state of mental decrepitude that he's long passed off as folksy idiocy.

It's harder to explain away his position on the problems faced by young people being, literally, "I have no empathy for it. Give me a break."

It strikes me as somewhat hypocritical to blame millennials for losing faith in the political system when he has been part of the system they lost faith in since before any of them were born.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31498 on: August 10, 2019, 04:25:34 am »

I am white, and was a white kid.
How unusual.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31499 on: August 10, 2019, 04:40:44 am »

I think he was vacillating between "poor kids are just as bright as rich kids" and "black kids are just as bright as white kids" and his brain shifted gears mid-sentence. He's certainly as I'm-not-racist-I-have-minority-friends as you'd expect a wealthy white septuagenarian liberal to be, but I think this speaks more to his senility and the general state of mental decrepitude that he's long passed off as folksy idiocy.

This is pretty generous, IMO.  I don't know many specific details on this point, but I've seen lots of references to Biden defending segregation throughout his political career.  Like yeah, it was the type of brain mix-up anyone can have.  But it seems pretty likely to me that it was the type that reveals something about the way he was thinking about the subject while trying to construct a sentence from those thoughts, rather than a totally innocent collision of separate not-racist ideas.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:43:42 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 2098 2099 [2100] 2101 2102 ... 3566