Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2040 2041 [2042] 2043 2044 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210358 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30615 on: June 07, 2019, 06:50:45 pm »

I think he meant that the moon is part of Mars as in, for going to Mars first we need to go to the Moon? Either that or well, who knows...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30616 on: June 07, 2019, 07:40:41 pm »

I would say so too, except that he said earlier in that same sentence that we shouldn't be worrying about going to the moon.  Just another Trump Salad I guess.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30617 on: June 07, 2019, 08:03:58 pm »

The tariffs have been indefinetly suspended since a deal of some kind has been reached with Mexico, details haven't been revealed yet.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30618 on: June 07, 2019, 09:38:28 pm »

I would say so too, except that he said earlier in that same sentence that we shouldn't be worrying about going to the moon.  Just another Trump Salad I guess.

Don't you worry about going to the moon, let me worry about going to the moon.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30619 on: June 07, 2019, 11:36:43 pm »

The tariffs have been indefinetly suspended since a deal of some kind has been reached with Mexico, details haven't been revealed yet.

There are basically two ways I can see this unfolding.

Mexico caved, afraid of being tariffed they agreed to stop migrants from fleeing through their country. This one is pretty unlikely.

Trump convinced Mexico to give up something utterly trivial and ultimately meaningless, which he will now brag about as some major victory and use as an excuse to leverage tariffs in other non-economic matters in the future.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30620 on: June 08, 2019, 12:21:44 am »

There are basically two ways I can see this unfolding.

Mexico caved, afraid of being tariffed they agreed to stop migrants from fleeing through their country. This one is pretty unlikely.

Trump convinced Mexico to give up something utterly trivial and ultimately meaningless, which he will now brag about as some major victory and use as an excuse to leverage tariffs in other non-economic matters in the future.

Seems to be something more in between. Not exactly meaningless, but not a complete cave-in either. Also, Trump is going to use this as an excuse to use tariffs for non-economic stuff regardless.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30621 on: June 08, 2019, 12:41:54 pm »

Heh, wonder how the Zapatistas are gonna feel about those troops in that area.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30622 on: June 08, 2019, 06:19:23 pm »

They certainly won't like it, that's for sure. Though they'll probably try to avoid getting into direct clashes with the troops, even if just to avoid drawing the attention of them.

Also, the agreement had already been made months before this whole tariff BS, so, it's like, what was the whole tantrum about? Seems like he went and needlessly caused economic uncertianity for no practical reason whatsoever.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:39:39 pm by smjjames »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30623 on: June 08, 2019, 11:00:59 pm »

Also, the agreement had already been made months before this whole tariff BS, so, it's like, what was the whole tantrum about? Seems like he went and needlessly caused economic uncertianity for no practical reason whatsoever.

Perhaps he was trying to sell the narrative that he's a strongman who's "willing to do what needs to be done!" to his base by appearing like he forcefully pressured Mexico into taking the deal?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 11:07:48 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #30624 on: June 09, 2019, 12:09:08 pm »

Could be that Trump felt they weren't making enough progress.

Mexico not pulling its weight! Sad! Etc.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30625 on: June 09, 2019, 06:38:07 pm »

Mexico not pulling its weight! Sad! Etc.

I just think it's ridiculous...an entire continent of families is routinely seeing it's fathers murdered senselessly, it's mothers raped, and it's children recruited as soldiers to perpetuate this same violence. Some of the mothers grab their babies and flee to the US to beg for help, and US response is, "Eww, I don't want to touch these dirty people. Mexico, you're nearby, why don't you deal with them? They look more like you anyway. I'm going to start taxing all your shit until you take these victims off our hands."

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30626 on: June 09, 2019, 09:47:22 pm »

I just think it's ridiculous...an entire continent of families is routinely seeing it's fathers murdered senselessly, it's mothers raped, and it's children recruited as soldiers to perpetuate this same violence. Some of the mothers grab their babies and flee to the US to beg for help, and US response is, "Eww, I don't want to touch these dirty people. Mexico, you're nearby, why don't you deal with them? They look more like you anyway. I'm going to start taxing all your shit until you take these victims off our hands."

What makes you think the problems they have will magically go away once they cross the US border? It's an endemic social issue, and it'll take a reconstruction of their culture and outlook on life to actually fix; just moving en masse isn't going to solve anything for them, it's just going to move the problems with them.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #30627 on: June 09, 2019, 09:52:13 pm »

Well since the US

You know

Caused all of those societal collapses
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30628 on: June 09, 2019, 10:28:26 pm »

Well since the US

You know

Caused all of those societal collapses

Reagan and the CIA/DEA did, I sure as heck didn't consent to this and it's unfair to make me carry the burden.

I think the best thing we could do would be to end the Drug War somehow, and shut down the CIA permanently and put all the spooks under direct, unified Pentagon control.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:30:54 pm by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30629 on: June 09, 2019, 10:37:24 pm »

I think the best thing we could do would be to end the Drug War somehow, and shut down the CIA permanently and put all the spooks under direct, unified Pentagon control.

Yeah, who needs Posse Comitatus anyway? /s

To put this as diplomatically as I can, the way to fix our domestic intelligence apparatus is not to hand it to the folks who think civilians aren't real people.
Pages: 1 ... 2040 2041 [2042] 2043 2044 ... 3566