Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2035 2036 [2037] 2038 2039 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4207167 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30540 on: June 03, 2019, 03:18:00 pm »

Fuck efficiency or growth through the concentration of wealth, give people their lives back. TBH, I'd gladly give up most of today's modern amenities and securities for more time and space to just exist without expectation.

Yes.  We have lots of cool stuff, but no time to enjoy it.  What's the point?  Almost anyone who's doing well these days is either dedicating 90% of their waking life to work, or in a multiple income household with no kids, or lucked into a cheap living arrangement by themselves with a moderately well-paying job and no kids, or is independently wealthy.

Purchasing power is a shit measure, because the situation these days is luxuries are dirt cheap but necessities are exorbitant.  You can maintain a range of fancy gadgets and convenient entertainment services for less than 1% of your yearly income.... but the other 99% of your income can't pay your rent/mortgage and car.  When your rent is $1500 a month, spending $1000 a year on luxuries won't be the deciding factor in whether you make rent or not.  So if you're doomed to fail and be homeless, you might as well do it with a nice smartphone.

A better indicator would be the record numbers of people who are 3+ months behind on car payments, the rising rates of homelessness, the abysmal lack of savings among people under 50, and the near-universal experience of economic anxiety so severe that young adults are being massively diagnosed with PTSD.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30541 on: June 03, 2019, 03:36:43 pm »

I fully agree that our society utterly fails to provide proper avenues of care of parents and children, and furthermore that it 100% discriminates by wealth and ethnicity. We have a huge problem with that in our society. My wife and I both work full time jobs with available benefits, and we can't afford basic child care let alone the kind of help my special needs son requires. Not if we want to pay rent.

It would be cheaper to get a mortgage with no down-payment at all, but I can't even afford the 400$ or so it costs to get certified for a mortgage.

It's nice that the economy is doing well according to the standards of a bunch of bullshit nebulous arithmetic, but the only upturn I've seen is a bit more on my tax return for having a child from both Obama and Trump's tax programs. Woohoo, that's like a whole month that I can reliably avoid eating rice and beans before that runs out. Thanks for the bread ration, I'm living the American Dream. And what's more, I know for a fact that I'm better off than many.

note: Made minor edits after posting
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:38:35 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30542 on: June 03, 2019, 03:56:02 pm »

Real wages growth is slow, but moving in a positive direction for now.

Obvious troll is obvious.
What?

Real wages growth is slow, but moving in a positive direction for now.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Yeah, I'd like to know what qualifies as a bad economy.
Stagnating or contracting GDP, high unemployment, extraordinary number of people below the poverty line, deflation or inflation out of control. Those are a few indicators of a bad economy.

I'll agree that wealth is flowing upward and that's a crisis that needs to be dealt with. However, over the past twenty years, median income has not declined but rather remained roughly stagnant. It's not that purchasing power is reducing. It's more that it's stayed the same, and in our society, stagnation often feels like regression.

You did just give us information that showed inflation increasing 2% on average for the last two decades, so I'm not sure you can get away with saying purchasing power isn't reducing if wages aren't increasing alongside it.
Note I said real wages. Real wages are wages adjusted for inflation. You can have a 10% per annum increase in wages but still have a 0% real wages increase, if the inflation matches that wage increase. As it stands, median (not mean) wages are increasing at roughly the same rate as inflation, meaning that median real wages remain stagnant.

Edit: I just realized I neglected to specify "real" income in the part you quoted. That was an oversight on my part; it was meant to be connected to the earlier parts about real wages.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 04:00:49 pm by Pwnzerfaust »
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30543 on: June 03, 2019, 04:22:38 pm »

An increase in real wages doesn't necessarily mean anything, as some of the most important investments in life have exploded in cost, far beyond adjustments for the inflation of currency--like housing.

So sure, you might be making a tad bit more, but everything is still VASTLY more expensive than it was.

It's impossible to limit costs in any meaningful way without causing production of actually important goods to implode, and honestly im 100% fine with some people making a percentage more than others (hey, if you're old, you want to live off the fruits of your labor, and probably transfer a portion of that income to your children), but measures have to be taken to ensure that the excesses of a few do not affect the basic comfort and dignity of everyone else (and frankly, I'm pretty sure there are actually enough resources and services to give everyone a GOOD life, not just an okay or dignified or basic one, but one full of ease and happiness).

At one point Warren Buffett was making nearly $40 million A DAY. I don't care if he is a saint, that kind of accumulation of wealth is a violation of the social contract. We agree to live peaceably in a society that is beneficial to everyone, but if a single person can just go around doing nothing (if he wanted to) and make that kind of money he should be considered an outlaw. It's a zero-sum game, you are literally TAKING THE WEALTH FROM OTHERS to give to yourself.

The growth of the economy means nothing, more money does not equate to more value for the average person when any given worker is only actually receiving a fraction of the worth of his work in the form of payment (after all, currency is ideally supposed to represent how much work you do and you are to be fairly compensated for your TIME).

Coupled with morally reprehensible land rights, banking systems, and taxes--it's some fucked up shit. Communism... doesn't work, it just doesn't. Karl Marx didn't know how to reach his utopia back then and we don't know how to reach it now, but there needs to be CONSIDERABLY more regulation in how wealth is distributed among the citizens of the world.

EDIT:

This chart is hella fucked up.

EDIT2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_inequality_in_the_United_States

Even the wikipedia article is hella fucked up.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 04:33:06 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30544 on: June 03, 2019, 05:15:41 pm »

An increase in real wages doesn't necessarily mean anything, as some of the most important investments in life have exploded in cost, far beyond adjustments for the inflation of currency--like housing.

So sure, you might be making a tad bit more, but everything is still VASTLY more expensive than it was.

That's the CPI (Consumer Price Index) that I referenced earlier. It tracks prices over time for various consumer goods -- those are the ones that have increased on average 2.185% per year, roughly tracking with median income. That's what real wages refers to: Essentially how many things you can buy with your wages. If how much stuff you can buy with $50,000 per year goes down, your real wages go down. If they go up, they've gone up. Broadly speaking.

Or to turn it around to make it a bit more clear: If you can buy ten loaves of bread with your wages one year, and then the next you can only buy eight, your real wages have gone down, even if the nominal wages went up or stayed the same; conversely if you can buy twelve loaves the next year your real wages have gone up. Again, broad overview of what real income is. Substitute loaves of bread for any consumer good.

EDIT:

This chart is hella fucked up.

EDIT2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_inequality_in_the_United_States

Even the wikipedia article is hella fucked up.

Yes, I agree. This massive growth in wealth inequality is one symptom of median wages stagnating even while average wages increase. The median person's real wages (ie. how much the average person can buy) had stayed roughly the same over the past decades, while the upper 10% (and even more pronounced, the upper 1% and 0.1%) have seen their wages explode. Conversely the lower half have seen their wages decrease in the face of substantially lowered demand for unskilled labor due to automation and outsourcing.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:17:50 pm by Pwnzerfaust »
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30545 on: June 03, 2019, 06:10:32 pm »

I do believe that wealth inequality has been getting a bit out of whack - but you have to be careful when you read those graphs.  A significant chunk of wealth consists of present value of stocks, which is not "real" wealth.

You could take all that paper wealth and... it's not going to give you cheaper housing or cheaper health care or more affordable cars or anything like that.  It sounds like it should, but it just won't, because although money is fungible, wealth is not.  You can't convert a supercar into five family cars.  You can't convert a luxury yacht into four fishing boats.

The only thing you can do is change culture and/or incentives, over the course of a generation, so that people would rather invest in lower prices for things rather than more features for the same price, which is what we have now: the cheapest cars are the same (real) price as they used to be but with new gadgets. I'd rather have cars with the features from 10 years ago but at 75% the real price.  But this is just not what society is doing...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30546 on: June 03, 2019, 08:18:50 pm »

You could totally convert a supercar into a trade for a number of less expensive cars, though nobody does that.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30547 on: June 03, 2019, 09:50:54 pm »

Or to turn it around to make it a bit more clear: If you can buy ten loaves of bread with your wages one year, and then the next you can only buy eight, your real wages have gone down, even if the nominal wages went up or stayed the same; conversely if you can buy twelve loaves the next year your real wages have gone up. Again, broad overview of what real income is. Substitute loaves of bread for any consumer good.

In recent times due to technology I went from producing 8 loaves of bread to 12 loaves of bread.  I get paid as if I produce 6 loaves of bread.  Sadly, rent is 12 loaves of bread this month and will probably 13 loaves a month by the end of the year.  Better get two loaf jobs to get those 12 loaf rents.  Also Trump decided to tariff flour and used napkins, which will probably upset the loaf industry.

Meanwhile, I better not get injured loafing around, as my loaf contracting job(s) gives no benefits whatsoever and bread is a pre-existing condition.  Speaking of which, having kids also incurs massive loaf debt.  Not raising them, mind, just having them.  Just have nothing bad happen ever and maybe, just maybe, I'll be fine.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #30548 on: June 03, 2019, 10:12:28 pm »

You should try feeding them kids self-raising flour, bloody freeloaders. It’s not like they knead anything!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30549 on: June 03, 2019, 11:46:26 pm »

Bread lightly guys, these buns are getting out of hand.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30550 on: June 04, 2019, 01:11:44 am »

Bread lightly guys, these buns are getting out of hand.

Just roll with it
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30551 on: June 04, 2019, 01:15:30 am »

We used to talk about politics in semi-civilized tones...

Now we just have a yeast inflection.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30552 on: June 04, 2019, 02:01:23 am »

I'm going to rise above these puns and just wish I had more dough.

The missus hit me for that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30553 on: June 04, 2019, 02:10:56 am »

I find them half-baked, personally.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30554 on: June 04, 2019, 02:13:47 am »

Gentlemen you can't pun in here, this is the ameripol thread!
Pages: 1 ... 2035 2036 [2037] 2038 2039 ... 3566