Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2014 2015 [2016] 2017 2018 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202548 times)

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30225 on: May 13, 2019, 10:24:08 pm »

Is this mercantilism with complete disregard of the long-term consequences?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:15:51 am by Craftsdwarf boi »
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30226 on: May 13, 2019, 11:18:16 pm »

Is this mercantilism?

This is trump pretending he knows something.  He does not.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30227 on: May 14, 2019, 06:24:27 am »

I'll be the crazy one in the room.

I don't think Trump's doing it for the right reasons. I don't think Trump's doing it in the most effective way possible. But I do approve of being tougher on Chinese trade practices.

While that will hurt domestic businesses as well, likely more than it will hurt China since they still have other trading partners, China gets away with a lot of shit it shouldn't, simply in the business/commercial/industrial sense, in the name of "Free Trade" and short term profit.

Yes it's true this is going to cost us in the short term. Yes it's true it's probably going to hurt us more than China. But I also don't see any other long term path. It's always harder to get off the addiction than it is to get on it... or go back to it.

That said, with Trump's leadership, and the US political climate, this is likely not going to have much effect. In another year and a half, if this even lasts that long, we'll have another president happy to take those tariffs off to earn points with just about everyone. Because everyone will be desperate for their fix of cheap Chinese goods.

I'm personally just happy to see China encounter a hard stance for once. Even if that stance is facing the wrong direction and shouting nonsense.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30228 on: May 14, 2019, 06:39:11 am »

I don't think we can give him credit for something he's doing by accident. Opposing unrestrained greed is a full time job, and something that needs to be done intentionally, for it to have any chance of working, after all.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30229 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:40 am »

It's questionable he's even doing anything by accident. He's not so much giving China a hard stance over anything as he's screeching nonsense like someone having a real bad drug trip. There's no stance to be confronted, there, just madness you avoid until it stops even if it means you eat less that day or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30230 on: May 14, 2019, 08:24:40 am »

I deal with geriatric people about the president's age daily. Sadly, this includes mental infirmities.

Aside from being obviously narcissistic (a trait most professional politicians and business people share), and a pathological liar (another frequently shared trait), the only thing I really see wrong with the president is that he is a fucking idiot buried under 20 feet of Dunning Kruger, with a side of probable atherosclerosis.

Normally we (as a nation) tend to raise up more... hrm...  Competent.. narcissistic liars. (Being successful in either business or politics requires a degree of cunning and intelligence not normally presented in your typical person, who is naturally more predisposed to being well, NORMAL.  Trump is what you get when you have too much money from daddy to be really CAPABLE of actually failing, despite doing EVERYTHING WRONG.  Tax returns from the past 10 years showing he lost over a billion dollars?  Yeah. That.  He just has sufficient money socked away from daddy, that even WITH him losing on investments left and right, he *STILL* has managed to not be destitute, because he makes more in capital gains than he manages to lose. That's it. The secret of his success. Meanwhile, you have people like Warren Buffet, or even Rupert Murdoch, who are what I am actually talking about when I mention being competent narcissistic liars and manipulators.  The former really does know how to decide on risky investments and win, and the latter knows all about how to manipulate the press by dominating the means of delivery.)

Trump is just a deluded man, with a Baron von Munchausen sized sense of accomplishment, screaming at clouds. Sadly, he is also the president.

Please don't re-elect him.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30231 on: May 14, 2019, 10:25:32 am »

Lmao he's lost a billion dollars the same way Amazon loses billions of dollars every year. It all gets lost and reappears in the Virgin Islands somehow

Investigate that shit and it'll rain like a tacky stripclub

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30232 on: May 14, 2019, 11:05:35 am »

No he actually lost it as in he doesn't have access to it any more...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30233 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:42 am »

Yeah nah it's tax fraud

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30234 on: May 14, 2019, 11:32:43 am »

Did you actually read the article?  He helped his father dodge taxes.  That increased the amount of money that *originally* was inherited by Donald Trump.  All evidence suggests that Trump has consistently lost money since then and for most of his adult life Trump's liabilities have exceeded his assets; he's only ever "made" money by taking out loans and then doing everything in his power to not pay them back.  That and doing his one successful job ever as a reality tv star.

Vague accusations about Amazon and implying that Trump is actually playing 4D chess instead of being an idiot... are you a r/the_donald user time traveling from 6 months ago?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30235 on: May 14, 2019, 12:01:03 pm »

Did you actually read the article?  He helped his father dodge taxes.  That increased the amount of money that *originally* was inherited by Donald Trump.  All evidence suggests that Trump has consistently lost money since then and for most of his adult life Trump's liabilities have exceeded his assets; he's only ever "made" money by taking out loans and then doing everything in his power to not pay them back.  That and doing his one successful job ever as a reality tv star.

Vague accusations about Amazon and implying that Trump is actually playing 4D chess instead of being an idiot... are you a r/the_donald user time traveling from 6 months ago?
The absolute state of America that you think evidence of tax fraud is a ringing endorsement for 4D chess

You've gotten lost so far up Poe's alley where the distinction between criticism and endorsement is irrelevant, as if the skill of a robber is praise to power. There's fuck all vague about Amazon's tax evasion and how they manipulate losses to avoid paying taxes.
The article shows the man has a past history of manipulating valuations to undervalue capital and pay less taxes for his personal benefit. Any idiot with cash can hire an accountant.

But yeah nah thanks for proving redditors are capable of tolerating slight disagreement without resorting to personal attacks

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30236 on: May 14, 2019, 12:50:14 pm »

Yeah nah it's tax fraud
No he actually managed to fuck up hard enough that he was able to barely stay afloat despite constant infusions from his dad.

Who among us hasn't barely succeeded after getting 400 million dollars from daddy and repeatedly managed to convince others that it is better to quietly accept our bullshit before giving it to the public than default and eat all that shit directly, I ask you who?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30237 on: May 14, 2019, 09:42:18 pm »

He helped his father dodge taxes.

sooo, he knows how to tax fraud?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #30238 on: May 15, 2019, 03:03:56 pm »

So let's review

France is burning, Britain is in complete legislative paralysis, and the US is too corrupt to do anything except bomb other countries into anarchy and afflict the country with the religious whims of a small minority.

What the hell is going wrong with Democracy?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30239 on: May 15, 2019, 03:04:57 pm »

I mean I think a few of us will blame Capitalism and the fact that Democracy has been bought out.
Pages: 1 ... 2014 2015 [2016] 2017 2018 ... 3566