Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1981 1982 [1983] 1984 1985 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202527 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29730 on: April 15, 2019, 07:10:53 pm »

I'm surprised nobody's resorted to "elections have consequences" vis-a-vis Trump's tax returns and accused the MAGA crowd of trying to relitigate the 2018 midterms, in which the American people could have chosen to continue to shield Trump from the slightest shred of Congressional oversight and instead collectively elected a Democratic majority knowing full well they'd exercise their investigative authority, etc.

Then again, apparently everyone's just accepted the conservative shell game in which Trump is just a private citizen when he might be expected to obey the norms of his office and king-in-all-but-name when he wishes to exercise its powers.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29731 on: April 15, 2019, 07:15:16 pm »

...I as a voter am extremely interested as to whether he lied or not....
Eh, this doesn't interest me at all.  Every person on the planet has lied.  Moreover, every president has lied.  Why would lies about tax returns be any more or less onerous than any other presidential untruth?  I can't imagine that any business mogul with more than about $100 million has done anything that isn't "shady" on some level.

Trump's entire branding is selling the idea that he's rich and successful to people who are not rich, or successful.  That somehow gaudy gilded trump products are really what being rich is all about when in reality nobody with real money gives a shit about trump products.  He makes an entire career out of snake oil, and its all there just to feed into his ego.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29732 on: April 15, 2019, 07:19:38 pm »

Nobody mentioned the "Trump wants to dump illegals into sanctuary cites" thing?
https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-migrants-sanctuary-cities-20190412-story.html

Libruls: "Nobody is illegal. We value immigrants!"
Trump: "Okay, you can have them!"
Libruls: "This is illegal and immoral!"

Trump 6-D Backgammon master. kek.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29733 on: April 15, 2019, 07:25:58 pm »

Or the  dump plane-loads of water on historic Paris landmark thing? (Still, better than kitchen towels.)

Ladies and gentlemen, witness the intellect he exudes.

(Better to be quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt?)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29734 on: April 15, 2019, 07:38:56 pm »

Or the  dump plane-loads of water on historic Paris landmark thing? (Still, better than kitchen towels.)

Ladies and gentlemen, witness the intellect he exudes.

(Better to be quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt?)

Excuse me why isn't anyone asking the real questions here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29735 on: April 15, 2019, 07:56:18 pm »

I thought it was cause the leaves weren't raked correctly at ND.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29736 on: April 15, 2019, 08:03:35 pm »

The problem with this is that it still gives no compelling reason to release the returns. Presidents find themselves under automatic audit, but previous presidents (since Nixon) have done it to give the illusion of transparency - it's a PR move, not an actual mechanism to ensure accountability.

Any transparency is better than "Fuck all."

For Trump it is worse than worthless as a PR move, as I've argued in my previous posts, and publicizes an element of his personal life he would apparently prefer remained private.

You say that like we're talking about a tragic family illness, or cheating on his wife, or banging countless women in a bungalow.

Oh wait, two of those three happened numerous times and we know more about them than his goddamn tax returns. You're mistaking his "personal life" with "his wealth", and sidestepping the continued reality that a serial liar, unapologetic tycoon and nepotism overlord is sitting at the head of our economy and policy making. After all this shit this man has done and said, are you really going to just "give him the benefit of the doubt" that he won't try and leverage all the power of his office to make himself richer at the country's expense? (I seem to recall you're not American. If you are, that'd be your expense too.) Are you really going to swallow all that because he's (hamfistedly) ramming through some policy you agree with? At some point it just seems like cutting off the nose to spite the face.

I have no illusions that he's mainly if not solely keeping it private so he can appear as rich as he claims to be rather than as rich as he is, wherever those two numbers may lie, but ultimately its his prerogative.

As though the president is just a private citizen, and not the person with their hand on all the levers. I don't care how he presents his wealth. What I want to know is that he's not enriching himself at our expense. I'm sure many presidents have, but no president has rubbed our noses in his shit and smirked while he does it. Tax returns may not even be the entire truth, but it's a damn sight more than we have now.

Trump doesn't have a positive reason to release his tax returns, you're right. Proof that you're lying all the time and possibly using the office of the president to make yourself rich tends to remove reasons for releasing information. The fact he was in bed with the Russians on one level or another just prior to the election alone should be reason enough to want to know more, forget propriety or "the illusion of transparency." I like how in one breath you assert the IRS would be all over anything fishy, and in the very next dismiss everyone else's filings as smoke and mirrors.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:07:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29737 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:53 pm »

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-migrants-sanctuary-cities-20190412-story.html

Libruls: "Nobody is illegal. We value immigrants!"
Trump: "Okay, you can have them!"
Libruls: "This is illegal and immoral!"

Trump 6-D Backgammon master. kek.
From what I heard it was more like

Trump: If you libcucks love illegal immigrants so much, I'll just ship them all off to you!
Liberals: Okay, do it. Go ahead, pussy.
Trump, sweating profusely: Okay actually, maybe we won't do that. We need to be hard on immigration! Hard on it!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29738 on: April 15, 2019, 10:17:20 pm »

taxes don't pay for things
I mean, local city and state taxes can pay for things, but no, federal taxes are just a control on the money supply realistically. They were never your tax dollars to begin with.

Fucking over the illusion that our big fat bitchbaby in chief is actually an intelligent rich person though, that is worth all the illusory tax dollars you can spend.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29739 on: April 15, 2019, 10:39:09 pm »

They were never your tax dollars to begin with.

The 15% I am paying back to the Fed this year for $1,350 dollars in wages as a contractor disagrees with you.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29740 on: April 15, 2019, 10:48:08 pm »

You're giving money the government let you use back to the government to pay a debt the government says you owe, at which point did they become your dollars?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29741 on: April 15, 2019, 10:56:27 pm »

When my labor provided to the GDP. This isn't a debate worth having. Smacks of "Oh nothing matters."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29742 on: April 15, 2019, 11:06:19 pm »

It's also a fallacious argument from the beginning. Most money is NOT generated by the federal reserve; it is instead generated by banks via the fractional reserve mechanism, and represents debt. (as such, the notion of "It was theirs and they let you use it, so why get uptight when they demand it back?" is flawed from the very beginning.  It was never theirs; The vast majority of money in circulation was created when people asked for loans from banks, and created lines of credit. )

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29743 on: April 16, 2019, 12:33:25 am »

Didn't say it was theirs, just that it wasn't your tax dollars, technically speaking they're nobodies upon collection, it isn't like there is some big pile of money where they heave taxed funds and scoop money out to pay for stuff. The federal government isn't funded by anything except confidence in itself.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29744 on: April 16, 2019, 10:41:23 am »

From what I heard it was more like

Trump: If you libcucks love illegal immigrants so much, I'll just ship them all off to you!
Liberals: Okay, do it. Go ahead, pussy.
Trump, sweating profusely: Okay actually, maybe we won't do that. We need to be hard on immigration! Hard on it!
From what I heard he's still considering it, despite the fact that his staff said it's probably not legal.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 1981 1982 [1983] 1984 1985 ... 3566