Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1956 1957 [1958] 1959 1960 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210337 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29355 on: April 04, 2019, 04:26:02 pm »

Good news everyone, Trump just cracked that world peace thing. It turns out that all we have to do is get the world leaders together and make a deal to stop building weapons, and instead spend that money on 'other things'.

Ladies and gentlemen, your Commander in Chief.
Gee, why didn't the Democrats think of that?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #29356 on: April 04, 2019, 05:14:50 pm »

And while we're at it, we're going to pull the US out of those pesky arms-reduction treaties and build more nukes and guns!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29357 on: April 04, 2019, 06:07:48 pm »

Isn't that same tendency true for every other country in the world? It's pretty much politics 101 to care for your own people first, it's just more obvious due to the US being a superpower these days since we're generally powerful/influential enough to do something about it, and thus, attention gets paid to our actions.

A bit more than that.  I meant that USA leadership has historically shown an investment in other places being in terrible shape, even if it has nothing to do with taking care of their own.  Because it makes their own easier to control.  Part of the reason for all that terrible stuff we did in South America was to prevent the "threat of a good example."

Remember that they were once even willing to go so far as to carry out terrorist attacks against their own people as a false flag to blame on Cuba and manufacture pretense for war against them -- Operation Northwoods. 

The plan was drafted by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, signed by Chairman Lyman Lemnitzer and sent to the Secretary of Defense. Although part of the U.S. government's anti-communist Cuban Project, Operation Northwoods was never officially accepted; it was authorized by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, but then rejected by President John F. Kennedy.

Oh. So it's about placing tariffs on American cars, just made abroad?

Not necessarily the finished car.  These days, a complex product like that has various parts being produced all over the world.  A Mexican manufacturing plant that mainly produced car stereos dominated my professional life in the freight forwarding industry for years.  They'd bring in parts from all over asia and europe to be assembled into car stereos, and then they were shipped to various automotive plants in the USA to be installed into finished or closer-to-finished cars.

But yeah, there is a ton of automotive business that goes on in Mexico, and various other parts of South America.  I have a friend who worked in an automotive plant in Brazil.  No complex product is made in just one place anymore.  If it says made in America, that could just mean that's where the final coat of paint was applied.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29358 on: April 04, 2019, 06:13:41 pm »

Heavy truck is definitely an industry for them too. They gotta ship things just like anyone else. Plenty of buyers from south of the border buying salvage stuff at auction.

In fact, exporters make up the bulk of purchases at auction, far outstripping any domestic buying/selling/trading of the same products.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29359 on: April 04, 2019, 06:22:48 pm »

Remember that they were once even willing to go so far as to carry out terrorist attacks against their own people as a false flag to blame on Cuba and manufacture pretense for war against them -- Operation Northwoods.

We have a psychological barrier to accepting the reality of things like that.

But, putting it in perspective, we're talking about people who barely make excuses for causing the death of millions, if they happen to be on the other side of a border, if it will achieve some economic goals for their buddies. Do we really believe that just being on this side of the border instantly means that killing a handful of people to push some political goal would balk these people?

The fallacy here is to project normal-person morality where killing your neighbor is unthinkable up to the level of the types of people who have no problem dropping bombs that kill 120,000 people per hit.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:24:33 pm by Reelya »

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29360 on: April 05, 2019, 12:26:21 am »

Wow. You Americans really have a messed up political system. I'd suggest doing away with the whole"United" part and just have 50 different independent states. That way, California can have their public health care, and Utah can have their theocracy. Everyone wins.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29361 on: April 05, 2019, 03:00:47 am »

Wow. You Americans really have a messed up political system. I'd suggest doing away with the whole"United" part and just have 50 different independent states. That way, California can have their public health care, and Utah can have their theocracy. Everyone wins.

That's how you get a World War.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29362 on: April 05, 2019, 04:36:57 am »

The whole reason Balkanization happens is that you have a union between incompatible partners that inevitably fragment. I can definitely see a US split being ugly, but it's rather unlikely to happen in the first place as there is at least some common (and mostly harmonious) historical narrative that binds them together. That, and the last time someone tried it they got clobbered.

I'm afraid I can't see any way of ending the current political malaise short of a very serious crisis that brings everyone together.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29363 on: April 05, 2019, 05:36:59 am »

Ok,  Abrahams just said yesterday that he doesn't think USA or any of it's allies are ready or thinking about a military intervention on Venezuela and it would be too early for Guaido to ask for such thing via or legal system. Our constitution have a mechanism that allow foreign military to conduct operations in our soil with the approval of the national assembly (our current version of congress). In theory this would mean things like joint exercises or humanitarian aid or technical training and other more regular stuff but the lack of specifics leaves the door open for interpretation and allowing things like calling for help against a rogue armed force (the current legal state of all the armed forces).

Now, this makes me wonder, is Trump trying to garner the Latino vote, and thus are they postponing any agresive rethoric or plans for a date closer to the elections? I mean, if he does removes Maduro and Diosdado somehow along with fixing Nicaragua I would guess he could get a lot of Latinos votes?

However this statement by Abrahams leaves Guaido's ass bare in the air ready to be cropped by Maduros regime without repercussion whatsoever, or so it seems. I expect him to be jailed soon and well be back on regular business of being soft-exterminated or the passive genocide if you will.

The only real answer we can have is protesting on the streets, this Saturday (tomorrow) there's one huge national wide protest scheduled, however the regime have the nasty habit of letting lose their dogs of war over this protests and along with official armed forces either disperse, detain or outright kill large numbers of protesters.

We are unarmed and too focused on surviving the next day and cutoff form any info to form up any coherent and/or sufficiently large armed force, irregular as it might be, to counter act this. And while most of us wouldn't mind kicking communists asses badly, is true most of us wouldn't like to kill another person, let alone a country man. Personally I would like a better country for both of us.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:49:49 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29364 on: April 05, 2019, 05:53:30 am »

Hey kindly piss off with that, I happen to live in a southern state and I'd rather not have to move and/or die in a bloody civil war because the people in charge here are suddenly allowed to do whatever they want.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29365 on: April 05, 2019, 06:05:51 am »

Well, the moment we stop with the united part, the moment each state would realize that the borders of it's own state are arbitrary. One thing leads to another, and we have 3-4 big baby countries either closely allied or jealously guarded against eachother. Hawaii regains its independence. Canada and Russia fight over Alaska, cause any right to ownership over all that Inuit land was basically forfeited and the remaining smaller countries where the US used to be can't hope to stop them.

Best case, the smaller resulting countries form peaceful relations and independently create more sane governments that are more compatible with their respective size and demographics.

Worst case, the whole rest of the world decides to take this opportunity to jolly stomp the weakened American people back into the stone age, to make sure they can't re-conglomerate and rule over the world with their big obese stupid irresponsible super hegemon fists ever again.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:08:37 am by JoshuaFH »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29366 on: April 05, 2019, 06:29:34 am »

Ok,  Abrahams just said yesterday that he doesn't think USA or any of it's allies are ready or thinking about a military intervention on Venezuela and it would be too early for Guaido to ask for such thing via or legal system. Our constitution have a mechanism that allow foreign military to conduct operations in our soil with the approval of the national assembly (our current version of congress). In theory this would mean things like joint exercises or humanitarian aid or technical training and other more regular stuff but the lack of specifics leaves the door open for interpretation and allowing things like calling for help against a rogue armed force (the current legal state of all the armed forces).

Now, this makes me wonder, is Trump trying to garner the Latino vote, and thus are they postponing any agresive rethoric or plans for a date closer to the elections? I mean, if he does removes Maduro and Diosdado somehow along with fixing Nicaragua I would guess he could get a lot of Latinos votes?

However this statement by Abrahams leaves Guaido's ass bare in the air ready to be cropped by Maduros regime without repercussion whatsoever, or so it seems. I expect him to be jailed soon and well be back on regular business of being soft-exterminated or the passive genocide if you will.

The only real answer we can have is protesting on the streets, this Saturday (tomorrow) there's one huge national wide protest scheduled, however the regime have the nasty habit of letting lose their dogs of war over this protests and along with official armed forces either disperse, detain or outright kill large numbers of protesters.

We are unarmed and too focused on surviving the next day and cutoff form any info to form up any coherent and/or sufficiently large armed force, irregular as it might be, to counter act this. And while most of us wouldn't mind kicking communists asses badly, is true most of us wouldn't like to kill another person, let alone a country man. Personally I would like a better country for both of us.

Isn’t guidero from the party which back in in early 2000s  tried to justify a coup by machinegunning their own protestors? Stay safe tomorrow, man.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29367 on: April 05, 2019, 09:09:05 am »

Noup, his party (a center left one, as there are literally 0 rigth parties on Venezuela), Voluntad Popular, is far newer than the events on Puente Yaguno, while the incident is obscure it was clear that at least on the bridge there were govs croocks shooting ar people below.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29368 on: April 05, 2019, 10:41:46 am »

Noup, his party (a center left one, as there are literally 0 rigth parties on Venezuela), Voluntad Popular, is far newer than the events on Puente Yaguno, while the incident is obscure it was clear that at least on the bridge there were govs croocks shooting ar people below.
I saw actual footage of it, from various angles. There were zero people below the bridge. It was random citizens trying to shoot back at a sniper that was hired to set up the situation.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29369 on: April 05, 2019, 10:58:46 am »

I wasnt there per se. Family and friends were dude. Also they weren't random people either. Some of them were at the time assembly personal and city council members. Finally they were shooting to the side were the protest was coming from and down re street, not roof or windows.

Not saying however that is impossible that the kill our own people hasn't been used. And seeing the horrible track of past parties we'll.. . Just pointing out this regime had his hands bloddies from even starting, I trace it back to the coup that bastard tried on the 92.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:06:27 am by LordBaal »
Pages: 1 ... 1956 1957 [1958] 1959 1960 ... 3566