Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210170 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28230 on: February 14, 2019, 03:39:35 am »

This big DNC run is good for the party. It's going to fill the news cycle -- which means Trump only gets his bad news aired, and he otherwise suffocates -- and it's going to be so target-rich that the Republicans can't burn them all down.

Above all, it will give the democrats an opportunity to have open discussions about policy. They'll set the tone for the election.

Ideally for the DNC, the RNC will quash any opposition to Trump (nobody's dumb enough to turn the 35% of the country that supports Trump away from the party). This will further render Trump irrelevant; I think he might be able to survive, but it's possible he'll shrivel up and die without constant media exposure.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28231 on: February 14, 2019, 03:50:17 am »

This big DNC run is good for the party. It's going to fill the news cycle -- which means Trump only gets his bad news aired, and he otherwise suffocates -- and it's going to be so target-rich that the Republicans can't burn them all down.

Above all, it will give the democrats an opportunity to have open discussions about policy. They'll set the tone for the election.

Ideally for the DNC, the RNC will quash any opposition to Trump (nobody's dumb enough to turn the 35% of the country that supports Trump away from the party). This will further render Trump irrelevant; I think he might be able to survive, but it's possible he'll shrivel up and die without constant media exposure.

Trump (to Fox News): Moisturize me! Moisturize me!

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28232 on: February 14, 2019, 04:50:04 am »

A declaration of war against China should fix that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28233 on: February 14, 2019, 05:08:42 am »

This is likely. "Crazy thing Trump said" isn't really newsworthy any more. Everyone has fatigue of that and is probably ready to go "next story please". The main weapon Trump had to dominate the news cycle has played itself out. It happens to the best of them: for example, Ann Coulter could call for the gassing of the Jews and it wouldn't even rate a blip on the media radar now.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28234 on: February 14, 2019, 07:38:11 am »

I disagree about the big field of DNC people being necessarily a good thing. It may work itself out if they whittle themselves down to a reasonable number(less than 10?) soon enough. We're at 15 candidates declared right now, of which 9 are getting reasonable amounts of attention and 7 have gotten significant amounts of media talk.

And there are certainly more to come. That's not even counting the people like Beto O'Rourke who are almost certain to be in the race, have gotten plenty of attention, but haven't formally declared yet.

This is prime to be another 2016 RNC Primary. Already I'm having a hard time keeping track of the choices. Klobuchar, Gillibrand and Harris all just kind of run together for me. Gabbard probably would too if not for the veteran angle and the minor scandal that's come up lately. Warren is almost entirely "gets in spats with Trump" and "acts even more out of touch than Clinton did." these days. Delaney, Booker, Castro and Buttigieg, I have no clue about other than Booker likes to grandstand and Castro is a twin.(And some people jokingly(?) think that would be a problem.)

I'm just waiting for the loud outsider to jump in and take all the attention. Maybe it's Bloomberg. Maybe it's O'Rourke. Maybe it's someone we haven't seen yet. Maybe they'll be loud, attention grabbing, AND competent and worrying is for nothing. But just given recent history, having a field this large, with this many "you're who again?" candidates... is potentially not a great thing.

The one good thing I'll say is that most of them seem like ok choices next to Trump... But I'm not ruling out a third party vote just yet. Still plenty of time for the party to screw this one up too.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28235 on: February 14, 2019, 08:25:59 am »

This is prime to be another 2016 RNC Primary. Already I'm having a hard time keeping track of the choices.

There are several things that I think will prevent a similar outcome, though. For one, Democrats have a relative paucity of upper-level campaign staff simply because they don't invest in the same pipelines Republicans do, so there's not as much room in that sense. For another, electability's a more serious concern when there is an incumbent President, let alone a deeply unpopular one, and I think we saw that in how Schultz' announcement was received. Being a big loud outsider also isn't new anymore, and Trump's effectively stripped the veneer off being a billionaire for many people, so the lanes aren't the same. Lastly, there's considerable incentive for the party to decide early this time anyway specifically to avoid a 2016-like scenario.

I think we're getting near the high point of people running, and there will be more pressure for people running on the margins, particularly joining late, to bow out early.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28236 on: February 14, 2019, 09:31:59 am »

Identity politics have also contributed to the Democrats having a much more diverse primary slate than the Republicans had in 2016. That could make a big difference.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28237 on: February 14, 2019, 09:36:14 am »

>35 year old tofu cube
Must also be 100% domestically produced in the USA.
Or already a citizen in 1789, which would qualify for being >35 with room to spare.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #28238 on: February 14, 2019, 02:33:01 pm »

Vote Ancient Tofu Block 2020

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28239 on: February 14, 2019, 03:17:17 pm »

Word is coming in that an agreement has been reached between Trump and the Republicans in the Senate. Trump will sign the spending bill to keep the government open, and in exchange the Republicans will support his declaration of National Emergency to build his wall.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28240 on: February 14, 2019, 03:21:07 pm »

Meh, that's kind of old news; they've been talking about that since January:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/politics/trump-national-emergency.html
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28241 on: February 14, 2019, 03:28:39 pm »

What a complete and utter waste of both our energy and our money.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28242 on: February 14, 2019, 03:39:14 pm »

I should probably be watching this.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28243 on: February 14, 2019, 03:40:50 pm »

Meh, that's kind of old news; they've been talking about that since January:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/politics/trump-national-emergency.html

No no no, it's the actual plan now according to McConnell.

And McConnell has confirmed that it's the plan.

Democratic Presidents declaring national emergency for reasons that aren't it's original intent, here we come.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28244 on: February 14, 2019, 04:06:07 pm »

No no no, it's the actual plan now according to McConnell.

And McConnell has confirmed that it's the plan.

Democratic Presidents declaring national emergency for reasons that aren't it's original intent, here we come.
All aboard the executive power train!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 3566