Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211168 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28020 on: February 07, 2019, 02:59:08 am »

In the grimdumb future of best murica, people who have grown up playing fortnite will be politically ostracized for their 'dumb teen phase' when they try to get into public office.
The real question is what happens when someone runs for office and and its revealed that they wrote weird multi-fetish erotic fanfiction when they were younger.  You know its not a question of if, but rather of when.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/nov/28/alastair-campbell-maya-bad-sex
https://junkee.com/a-liberal-mp-has-written-a-weirdly-sexual-novel-about-indonesia-and-australia-going-to-war/75396
https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/former-mp-dennis-jensen-fails-in-legal-bid-to-find-out-who-leaked-erotic-novel-to-journalist-20181124-p50i2u.html
(...and many more known examples, found when trying to search for more than the one-paragraph mention of the first's famous first exploits.)

And there was that House (or maybe state legislature) candidate who got dinged over apparently bigfoot erotica? or claimed bigfoot erotica, or maybe he just REALLY liked bigfoot.

Given the number of candidates in an election year, theres bound to be at least a few with weird stuff.

We still haven't gotten a president who knows how to use the internet above "old man rants in all caps" levels.

To be fair, the generation that grew up with the internet has only just started getting to the point where they're old enough to run for president.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28021 on: February 07, 2019, 07:37:49 am »

John Barnes on Liam Neeson: 'Liam Neeson deserves a medal.' "People are now going to be afraid to tell the truth."
Who is this John Barnes guy, and why have I never heard him speak before?

I'm totally in agreement - we cannot pillory people for admitting that they aren't perfect.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28022 on: February 07, 2019, 07:47:20 am »

Former soccer player who is now an anti-racism campaigner.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #28023 on: February 07, 2019, 08:54:19 am »

How many of you feel that the mobile web is a strange alien place? I do, and am currently old enough to be president probably.

People as old as my parents felt the desktop web was new and strange and possibly scary, I always felt the laptop side was just a halfassed imitation of my full monitors/hardware, but the mobile shit is just weird.
I don't think its a strange alien place.  But I do think its stupid.  Go on the reddit mobile website (not the mobile app, the website).  Try to get the little thing asking you to download the reddit app to go away.  I couldn't.  (although if you can make it go away please tell me how but I don't think you can)

From a design perspective I don't get it.  The best way to advertise the app is to have the website be browsable on mobile.  Which means you're already maintaining two versions of the website: mobile and desktop.  By adding the app you're just making a 3rd version, yeah you have more options but you're making your life harder.  And on iOS you're arguably more restricted than you are on the internet because you're subject to Apple's arbitrary whims (see: what happened to the Tumblr app).

I assume its something like weird said where people are trying to turn their apps into money makers.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28024 on: February 07, 2019, 09:01:20 am »

John Barnes on Liam Neeson: 'Liam Neeson deserves a medal.' "People are now going to be afraid to tell the truth."
Who is this John Barnes guy, and why have I never heard him speak before?

I'm totally in agreement - we cannot pillory people for admitting that they aren't perfect.
British football man, did loads of football as a player, manager & commentator. Just like cricket players in India being more powerful than politicians, so too in the UK are football people more powerful than politicians

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28025 on: February 07, 2019, 09:10:06 am »

I don't think its a strange alien place.  But I do think its stupid.  Go on the reddit mobile website (not the mobile app, the website).  Try to get the little thing asking you to download the reddit app to go away.  I couldn't.  (although if you can make it go away please tell me how but I don't think you can)
Oh god, fuck mobile Reddit... Every goddamn time you navigate somewhere it pukes up 2-3 more spam messages about installing the app (Note: I did in fact install the app at one point. It ran like ass, so I got rid of it. Then they doubled down even harder on the advertisements for it) and have to work very carefully so as not to let it think you actually want to download the damn thing. I've had to completely kill the tab and reload it sometimes because it gets so bogged down in trying to advertise the app to me that the actual pages just stop loading in.

There are a few different examples I've seen... One is a little blue bubble at the bottom of the screen, which isn't that bad and can be removed by just tapping the X very carefully, because its tap zone is really tiny and is next to the huge "OH YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD THE APP DO YA?" zone that comprises the rest of the bubble.

The second is a little dialog that pops up at the bottom and fogs over the rest of the screen, and asks if you want to open the page in the app or in the browser. You need to hit "continue" rather than "open", because that's clear as fucking mud.

Third, you've got your screen-blocking pop up that just takes over everything and slaps its digital dong smack in the middle of your viewing area. There's a teeny tiny X in one of the corners that'll get rid of it.

And then you've got the asshole navigation grab that instead of taking you to the thread you clicked on, just redirects you straight to the app download without further ado. There's no way of getting past this one, but it only shows up if you tap on the image next to a thread link rather than the header text of that thread link... Don't ask me what genius came up with that one.

At this point, I'm convinced that the only reason they're doing all this is to make the non-app browsing experience so miserable that they annoy users into downloading the app. Which, I'm guessing, still probably runs like complete ass.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28026 on: February 07, 2019, 09:34:49 am »

Nah the app runs pretty good on my phone. I prefer it even to the PC browser experience tbh.

In other news, Green new deal! It's nonbinding though. Hopefully a step in the right direction.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28027 on: February 07, 2019, 09:36:27 am »

They made a fully functional mobile website version of their site, only to coat it in ads for their app. It's kinda mystifying. If they didn't want you to use Reddit with a mobile browser, why did they bother making a mobile browser version of reddit?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28028 on: February 07, 2019, 10:08:43 am »

Just like cricket players in India being more powerful than politicians, so too in the UK are football people more powerful than politicians
The successful ones don't make so many own-goals and get caught out.

(/ambiguity)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28029 on: February 07, 2019, 11:49:29 am »

At this point, I'm convinced that the only reason they're doing all this is to make the non-app browsing experience so miserable that they annoy users into downloading the app. Which, I'm guessing, still probably runs like complete ass.
It's even worse if you're using a Nintendo 3DS to look up video game stuff, rather than a smart phone. Your experience of Reddit is limited to a screen that says, "Download the app!" This is, of course, impossible.

I mean, at least Wikia pages work on the 3DS, even if most of the screen is obscured.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:53:00 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28031 on: February 07, 2019, 01:58:35 pm »

"Racists? In my Virginia?"

It's more likely than you think.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28032 on: February 07, 2019, 02:08:44 pm »

Another Virginia politician, this one a Republican state senator, has been implicated in the racist yearbook scandal.

Not sure if different school and from 1968 rather than the 1980's, not that it makes it any less of a problem.

While it sounds like the school mentioned has cleaned things up since, it's just part of a far wider cultural problem that is deeper than any particular political leaning.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28033 on: February 07, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »

Yeah, that was ambiguous phrasing on my part. I meant the broader sense of Northam's yearbook page having triggered more Virginia politicians admitting to having done blatantly racist things or otherwise having their past racism come to light.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28034 on: February 07, 2019, 03:22:12 pm »

>Prez is racist right now and no one bats an eye
>Congresscritter was racist 40 years ago and everyone loses their mind
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 ... 3566