Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1857 1858 [1859] 1860 1861 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4212076 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27870 on: February 01, 2019, 12:27:32 pm »

For plausible deniability, they hired an ice-cold operative to do the wetwork.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27871 on: February 01, 2019, 12:49:56 pm »

The Hapsburg chin is a terrible weapon.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27872 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:59 pm »

I'm torn as to whether I dislike more the Hapsburgs or the Bourbons.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27873 on: February 01, 2019, 01:18:21 pm »

depends on when/where I play eu4.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27874 on: February 01, 2019, 03:07:58 pm »

quote me on this shit bc I'm calling it: dem primary is gonna come down to Kamala Harris & Cory Booker. Not a hard bet, seeing as how (barring a more high-profile dem running) they have the largest amount of name recognition nationwide out of the current hopefuls.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27875 on: February 01, 2019, 03:16:51 pm »

bombs?
Sorry Mr. Roboto, I can't give credit. Come back when your GDP is a bit... Mmmmm... higher.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 03:20:55 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27876 on: February 01, 2019, 03:50:32 pm »

So Sanders is saying we need a 70 (or is it 77?) percent inheritance tax.  Now, regardless of your feelings on inheritance tax, what makes me scratch my head is, how do they come up with these numbers?  It doesn't seem like those numbers are based on any kind of closed-loop control to achieve some outcome, but are merely arbitrary or targeted to reach a revenue target or something.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27877 on: February 01, 2019, 03:51:06 pm »

Weren't these probably the ones they used in Independence Day?
The nuke used in ID4 was clearly an AGM-86B Air Launched Cruise Missile. The swing-out wings are distinctive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27878 on: February 01, 2019, 04:05:46 pm »

So Sanders is saying we need a 70 (or is it 77?) percent inheritance tax.  Now, regardless of your feelings on inheritance tax, what makes me scratch my head is, how do they come up with these numbers?  It doesn't seem like those numbers are based on any kind of closed-loop control to achieve some outcome, but are merely arbitrary or targeted to reach a revenue target or something.
I sometimes think similar thoughts when looking at game changelogs and seeing a new update pushing out a 0.3 degree per second change to a particular character's rate of rotation.

Anyways, I liked some of the counterarguments... "You work your whole life to build up a nest egg or a family-owned business or family farm. Then you pass away. ... Uncle Sam can swoop in and take over 40 percent of everything you've earned over a certain amount."

Oh yes, my poor... 5 million dollar family farm. How will young Henry keep things going if our assets over 3.5 million dollars get taxed? We'll have to sell grammy's Ferrari...

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27879 on: February 01, 2019, 04:07:58 pm »

quote me on this shit bc I'm calling it: dem primary is gonna come down to Kamala Harris & Cory Booker. Not a hard bet, seeing as how (barring a more high-profile dem running) they have the largest amount of name recognition nationwide out of the current hopefuls.
Does this count as quoting it? :3

Edit: GGamer, you seem to know a bit about southeast US politics. Have you heard anything about an Equal Rights act in Georgia?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:31:17 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27880 on: February 01, 2019, 04:11:38 pm »

Ocasio-Cortez is obviously disqualified because of her sordid past of dancing.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27881 on: February 01, 2019, 04:21:45 pm »

To continue on with my previous "tax scheme", I've now got an additional improvement.  It's a pretty basic formula.  Recall last time I suggested that the "distribution" is done evenly per-capita. If you want to really address wealth inequality, and give "the rich" even more incentive to try to make other people wealthy and not just themselves, then what you could do is weight the distribution of the tax dividend inversely according to total wealth.

What I mean by that is: say you have 3 people and their relative wealth is 1, 3, and 9 units (say).  You distribute the tax refund so the person with 1 wealth unit gets 12/26 of the distribution, the person with 3 gets 10/26, and the person with 9 gets 4/26.  The formula is:  Person i gets (sum of all wealth - wealth of person i) / ((population-1)*(sum of all wealth)) fraction of the distribution.  If everyone has the same wealth, then this results in even per-capita distribution.  If you have wealth distributed heavily toward one group, then the distribution is heavily weighted the other way.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27882 on: February 01, 2019, 04:34:02 pm »

Ocasio-Cortez is obviously disqualified because of her sordid past of dancing.

AOC is too young to run, I think. In a decade or so, though, once she's built up her public speaking & rhetoric skills, I bet she could make a splash. As it stands now I think she'd get eviscerated, even if she was allowed to run.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27883 on: February 01, 2019, 04:36:51 pm »

To continue on with my previous "tax scheme", I've now got an additional improvement.  It's a pretty basic formula.  Recall last time I suggested that the "distribution" is done evenly per-capita. If you want to really address wealth inequality, and give "the rich" even more incentive to try to make other people wealthy and not just themselves, then what you could do is weight the distribution of the tax dividend inversely according to total wealth.

What I mean by that is: say you have 3 people and their relative wealth is 1, 3, and 9 units (say).  You distribute the tax refund so the person with 1 wealth unit gets 12/26 of the distribution, the person with 3 gets 10/26, and the person with 9 gets 4/26.  The formula is:  Person i gets (sum of all wealth - wealth of person i) / ((population-1)*(sum of all wealth)) fraction of the distribution.  If everyone has the same wealth, then this results in even per-capita distribution.  If you have wealth distributed heavily toward one group, then the distribution is heavily weighted the other way.

You'd have a hard time selling a tax system in which the ultra-rich can manipulate via fiscal chicanery the tax returns of people who depend on them financially. I guess you could offset it by a year, but that's going to be weird to account for.

Personally I'd abolish tax brackets altogether and instead establish a function in which tax rates are equal to (1-(federal poverty level/income)k), for some budgetarily useful k < 1. Let tax rate approach 1 as income approaches infinity.

(EDIT NOTE: I'm not being entirely serious, although step functions are responsible for a lot of economic strife.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:44:18 pm by Trekkin »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27884 on: February 01, 2019, 04:44:25 pm »

Bourbons are Ok. In my experience, people who hate them hate either the Pink Wafers or the Shortbread more, depending on why they don't like them.
Pages: 1 ... 1857 1858 [1859] 1860 1861 ... 3566