Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1853 1854 [1855] 1856 1857 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4212581 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27810 on: January 30, 2019, 10:29:36 pm »

Missed a reference I think.

I don't think anyone was missing the reference.

I was, I thought it was referring to another body part.

Knowing it’s otherwise makes the references a lot less gruesome, I guess...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27811 on: January 31, 2019, 03:38:54 am »

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/01/30/nancy-pelosi-unveils-the-paycheck-fairness-act-to-close-the-pay-gap.html

It would ban salary secrecy, increase penalties for employers who retaliate against workers who share wage information and allow workers to sue for damages of pay discrimination.

I mean... Yay? That's all good, but do we need to make this a gender issue? It's not like women are the only ones who benefit from this. There don't even appear to be any gender-specific clauses in that summary. This is just some ordinary decent good shit that is... apparently now riding on the back of what's an extremely polar issue these days.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27812 on: January 31, 2019, 06:46:13 am »

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/01/30/nancy-pelosi-unveils-the-paycheck-fairness-act-to-close-the-pay-gap.html

It would ban salary secrecy, increase penalties for employers who retaliate against workers who share wage information and allow workers to sue for damages of pay discrimination.

I mean... Yay? That's all good, but do we need to make this a gender issue? It's not like women are the only ones who benefit from this. There don't even appear to be any gender-specific clauses in that summary. This is just some ordinary decent good shit that is... apparently now riding on the back of what's an extremely polar issue these days.

"Unveils" is a bit misleading as it seems to be substantially the same as similar bills that have been introduced in previous congresses that went nowhere.

I can't find the full text online yet. But it's probably based heavily on those earlier bills.

If it is similar then it doesn't substantially change earlier laws regarding pay discrimination, it just clarifies some language and provides for a national award to be given on whatever basis they deem fit to companies that are doing a good job at giving equal pay.

Woo...

That said it should stand on the merits of the other parts of the bill. But I think putting it out in such a polarized light might hurt it. On the other hand they might see it as the only way to strongarm more business friendly democrats into falling into line while republicans were never going to support it anyway just cause it says Pelosi at the top.

We'll see...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27813 on: January 31, 2019, 08:23:35 am »

In other "news"...

"I think Allah calls all of us to fill different roles at different times and I think that He wanted Donald Trump to become caliph."

"That's why he's there and I think he has done a tremendous job in supporting a lot of the things that people of faith really care about."

"Honestly, it's very hard at this point to even take a lecture from Infidels on what is moral and what isn't," she said, calling it a "ridiculous charge" and saying Ms Pelosi "may even regret making that comment, inshallah".

"Protecting the people of your ummah... is the fundamental duty of being caliph of the United States," Ms Sanders said.

Note: I may have made some edits for clarity

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27814 on: January 31, 2019, 09:10:51 am »

Obvious allegory aside, if Trump is president because God wanted Trump to be president, then He also wanted the democrats to win the Senate.

We're all microscopic cogs in his catastrophic plan.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27815 on: January 31, 2019, 10:03:38 am »

Well, and beyond that god wanting the shitgibbon to be president might not be, like, a good thing for believers. The christian god is pretty willing to send demons to test the faithful, y'know, or otherwise fuck with people for reasons varied. If god sent it and it's not hollering BE NOT AFRAID or somethin' you might want to be worried :V

It's entirely possible within the framework of the theology in question that this entire mess has been a test... and one that, given the works in question, the christians still supporting trump and company have proooobably failed miserably. It's fairly hard to piss on the christian ethical framework, and by extension god and its son, more emphatically than trump's administration has been doing, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27816 on: January 31, 2019, 10:09:37 am »

Well, and beyond that god wanting the shitgibbon to be president might not be, like, a good thing for believers. The christian god is pretty willing to send demoncratss to test the faithful, y'know, or otherwise fuck with people for reasons varied. If god sent it and it's not hollering BE NOT AFRAID or somethin' you might want to be worried :V

Fixed that for you :P
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27817 on: January 31, 2019, 10:11:38 am »

Well, and beyond that god wanting the shitgibbon to be president might not be, like, a good thing for believers. The christian god is pretty willing to send demons to test the faithful, y'know, or otherwise fuck with people for reasons varied. If god sent it and it's not hollering BE NOT AFRAID or somethin' you might want to be worried :V

It's entirely possible within the framework of the theology in question that this entire mess has been a test... and one that, given the works in question, the christians still supporting trump and company have proooobably failed miserably. It's fairly hard to piss on the christian ethical framework, and by extension god and its son, more emphatically than trump's administration has been doing, heh.
Actually the bible kinda states that people in positions of worldly leadership and authority were specifically put there by God, whether they be benevolent rulers or cruel tyrants. The tyrants themselves may receive eternal damnation for their sins, but those under their rule should still listen to them and respect their wishes as befitting someone placed there by God.

Technically, this means Obama was also put in the white house by God; and that the righteous should have obeyed him and not sought to oust him from his position.

Oops.

Also, remember: God totally does not test people. Ever. Except when he does.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27818 on: January 31, 2019, 10:16:35 am »

It also fits into the goal of Revelation accelerationism, where political leaders attempt to fulfill end-times prophecies so Jesus will come back.  Even Trump's lack of anything approaching Christian morality fits into that framework, since a lot of people think America is represented by... I think that dragon with a lot of heads?  I'm not saying Mike Pence wants Jesus to come back in our lifetime, but it would make sense to me.

I mean, why else would evangelicals support him?  Does Trump look anti-abortion to anyone?  I assume they, like me, expected Pence to be in charge by now (directly or indirectly).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27819 on: January 31, 2019, 10:28:42 am »

*shrugs* I mean, polling and whatnot have made it pretty clear that american evangelical christianity is one of the country's lingering bastions of racism, and that racial animus is/was one of the/the strongest predictor for trump support. Evangelicals support the open bigot because lots of them are, y'know. Also bigots, and like the hatred that was being spewed.

Add on the single-issue folks that don't give a flying fuck who gets hurt so long as their pet issue (usually fairly explicit religious dominance, in evangelicalism's case) is sucked up to and the super low info folks that were just listening to their priest/other congregation members and you hit a lot of the folks in question. The religious aspects are as much post-facto justification as anything, at the end of the day.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27820 on: January 31, 2019, 11:30:14 am »

Trying not to whip the dead horse too much on this subject like I usually do, but that's my observation too, at least with the fundamentalists here in the southeast US.

I was a little shocked to hear one admit that Trump wasn't a very good Christian, but that he still represented God giving the US one last chance.  I'm kind of unsure what to make of that.  I've wanted to ask them if they think Trump might be the Antichrist, since I'm not sure how so many Christians could otherwise be duped into supporting such an objectively terrible person.  Pretty sure Revelation says something like that would happen.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27821 on: January 31, 2019, 11:33:56 am »

If Trump was God giving America one last chance, he clearly wanted us to fail.

Man I get so sick of Evangelicals using their "THE END IS NIGH" cult philosophy to justify why everything must be terrible.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27822 on: January 31, 2019, 11:38:35 am »

If Trump was God giving America one last chance, he clearly wanted us to fail.

Man I get so sick of Evangelicals using their "THE END IS NIGH" cult philosophy to justify why everything must be terrible.
One of the funnier ones I saw was an argument on twitter between an American evangelical who supported Israeli settlements in Palestine because they were God's chosen people, vs a leftist who was pointing out they supported cleansing the descendants of the first ever Christian communities to make way for men who want nothing to do with Christ

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27823 on: January 31, 2019, 11:40:05 am »

Actually the bible kinda states that people in positions of worldly leadership and authority were specifically put there by God, whether they be benevolent rulers or cruel tyrants. The tyrants themselves may receive eternal damnation for their sins, but those under their rule should still listen to them and respect their wishes as befitting someone placed there by God.

Technically, this means Obama was also put in the white house by God; and that the righteous should have obeyed him and not sought to oust him from his position.

Oops.

Also, remember: God totally does not test people. Ever. Except when he does.

And kings and queens have claimed divine backing, descent, or even being divine themselves since before written history. Probably since leaders of anything much larger than a tribe needed to prove legitimacy. So, it's not out of the ordinary with what's happened throughout history, recorded and pre recorded.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27824 on: January 31, 2019, 11:45:27 am »

But only mighty Gilgamesh was exactly 2/3rds divine!

...my brain is trying desperately to read that as "two threerds". I should eat something.
Pages: 1 ... 1853 1854 [1855] 1856 1857 ... 3566