Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4249298 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2730 on: February 26, 2017, 03:37:25 pm »

What's next? Detaining US military wounded returning from missions in Iraq, because they have been to Iraq?
Hey, trump did spend a chunk of his campaign shitting on POWs. His directions including harassing our vets isn't as unlikely a thing as it would usually be.
I feel like veterans are one of the few things Repubs and Dems can largely agree on: Democrats don't like people being biased against and Republicans don't like people who've served their country getting the short end of the stick. It just doesn't get much attention because no one usually disagrees.

So just saying, if there'a anything that would turn a republican base against Trump in a way where they might actually work w/ democrats, it would be that.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: February 26, 2017, 03:59:01 pm »

Don't forget WaPo is paywalled now. Cite the relevant text of the article so everyone can read it without using up their free views.

Try opening it in a private window, works for me. That's with FireFox.

I think some combination of my Firefox extensions block the relevant trackers because I've never hit a limit or seen a paywall warning with the WaPo. On the other hand I can't get past the WSJ one at all any more.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: February 26, 2017, 04:07:25 pm »

Probably noscript stuff, I've got wapo forbidden where the page barely loads at all, just text and basic links and empty images, I hold grudges about popups and paywall warnings.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: February 26, 2017, 04:15:57 pm »

I haven't gotten popups with WaPo with the method I use, which also works for NYT. Although if you browse around enough during that session, the paywall stuff can still come back. It's resettable with either closing and reopening browser or restarting comp, not sure which, haven't gotten to the point where I absolutely need to do that.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: February 26, 2017, 05:47:31 pm »

Trumps nominee for Secretary of the Navy has withdrawn. The reason given so far is that his financial holdings would not meet ethics standards. In earlier stories it was suggested it would be hard for him to distance himself from overseas holdings, with much of his wealth made and held in Hong Kong.

This was rumoured at least a week ago, with some other whispers before that but always White House denials. In the meantime the second favourite for the job has been given a new role at the Naval War College.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: February 26, 2017, 05:59:48 pm »

Meanwhile, Trump still has nearly 2,000 positions left to fill, most of them don't require Senate confirmation. the biggest chunk of those are his own staff. Chances are good that he doesn't even know that they exist.

No idea how unfilled Obama, the two Bushes, and Clinton were at this point in their first term.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: February 26, 2017, 06:15:32 pm »

This is what they give you three months to sort out before you get inaugurated.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: February 26, 2017, 06:45:32 pm »

US nearly deports a French historian who is an expert on the Vichy regime and Holocaust.

He has now written about it for HuffPo.fr (google translate link). The translation is pretty poor, but hopefully there will be a human translation later (my French is non-existent). A quick look at what 'detained and deported' means for travellers.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: February 26, 2017, 06:55:54 pm »

So I am ignorant

The whole "Must show Tax Receipts" law sounds more like a Anti-Trump law... I know he would fail such a test... but what is it for in GENERAL?
Avoiding conflict of interest. You're not supposed to hold both a public office and private enterprises which could benefit from abuse of that office. That's why, upon becoming, say, president, you're supposed to divest yourself of control over your businesses by placing them in blind trust. There's a whole mess of details intended to prevent people from abusing their positions in government for personal gain. If we don't know what a president owns, we don't know whether their decisions are being made because of political policy or for the sake of personal gain.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: February 26, 2017, 07:54:23 pm »

That being said.  We do know that Trump has conflicts of interest and that he has not instituted a blind trust.  The tax returns would be useful for laying the conflicts bare and pressuring congress to do something about it, but like.  We already know.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: February 26, 2017, 08:00:22 pm »

Yeah. In this instance it's to help build evidence.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: February 26, 2017, 08:13:03 pm »

We know that Trump has conflicts of interest, yes, but we don't know what all of them are. In particular question are ties to Russia.

The Dems (and some Republicans I think, not sure) are already asking for information from the State Department and a look into the trademark thing with China, whether or not China wanted something in exchange for settling that lawsuit. It may just be coincidence, but the timing of it is too uncanny to be 100% coincidence.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: February 26, 2017, 08:32:48 pm »

Though for what it's worth, it is possible it's china screwing with trump rather than something more substantial. S'just only worth so much, since the problem is the connection itself more than most of what's involved with the issue.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: February 26, 2017, 08:38:49 pm »

It's entirely possible that Trump had absolutely nothing to do with it and it was the Chinese who did that independently, but the question still has to be asked in Trump's case.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: February 26, 2017, 08:39:34 pm »

It's entirely possible that Trump had absolutely nothing to do with it and it was the Chinese who did that independently, but the question still has to be asked in Trump's case.

But then again, if a government employee is inadvertently given a financial gift by a foreign government then they're normally not allowed to profit off that.

It's also noteworthy that Trump hasn't commented on that at all.

What might be even more noteworthy is that I can't recall Trump doing any anti-China tweets since then, but that might just be me as I've missed them. If he has stopped lambasting China since winning the lawsuit, that wouldn't be a good look.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 3569