Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4251170 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2715 on: February 25, 2017, 11:11:01 pm »

Your father had or has a paper trail of scandal? Though I don't think we really need to pry into your familys privacy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: February 25, 2017, 11:24:20 pm »

Nah misk, a small million dollar loan might not have done it. Now, a 40-100 million dollar inheritance and a gaggle of other things including the loan, well...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: February 26, 2017, 12:55:45 am »

Your father had or has a paper trail of scandal? Though I don't think we really need to pry into your familys privacy.
Well, my father's not so big that it's a celebrity scandal or anything (although how he wished he was). I mean scandal in the sense of doing things which are shocking in civilized company (like Trump's sex scandals, or the time Trump cut his brother's family out of the will and denied payments to his grandnephew who was suffering a horrible neurological condition because his brother was an alcoholic and died in his forties.) My father happens to be much smaller-fry, and because he's not a celebrity he simply hides his scandals instead of embracing them as Trump did for so many years. But really, with the paper trail I meant bankruptcies, infidelities, loans, and other similar things that never seem to stick, while spending money extravagantly. Never serving prison time no matter what. Incidentally, my father hasn't had a real day-job since the Twin Towers went down. He just makes a large (but uncertain) amount of money through public relations for corrupt unions... Actually hang on, I don't think my father's ever released his tax returns either, even though he was mandated to do so by the courts. Huh.

And as for privacy, my father deserves no privacy at all. None. He doesn't live in NYC (and hasn't for years), and very soon I won't even share his name. But it doesn't matter. He's very small-fry. The only way you could actually find him was if I mentioned his much more famous brother (in fact, the first picture that shows up when I google my father is that of his brother), or discussed the details of my father's genocide denialism; both of which would turn up positive results (for what it's worth, I did actually pre-emptively google these things to make sure he doesn't show up, and he doesn't).
Nah misk, a small million dollar loan might not have done it. Now, a 40-100 million dollar inheritance and a gaggle of other things including the loan, well...
Perhaps. I should tell my father that, he might get a kick out of it. These sort of people are very bad at realizing when they are being mocked if you aren't actually laughing at their face.

If you want information, though, I don't need to say much about my father. The only really important parts are a few key details. I read that the Fred/Donald relationship was not affectionate.
“The two of them together in the same room was very strange,” she quotes one of them saying. “They were both talking, supposedly to each other, but I was sure neither heard what the other was saying. They talked right past each other.”
This sounds hostile, right? No.
Mr. Trump’s childhood friends have said they see in him his father’s intensity, but also a constant and often palpable need to please and impress the patriarch who ruled his family with a firm hand. Even today, Donald Trump seems to bathe in his father’s approval. A framed photo of Fred Trump faces him on his cluttered desk.
Donald Trump's mother comes up very rarely, by contrast, despite the fact that she was the one who actually did the business of raising the Trump kids. A proper housewife, and I'd bet one who showed absolute loyalty and deference to her husband. My grandmother was the same. The husband does reciprocate it in some sense, but his love for her is like being in love with a mirror, or as a better example, the affection the sun might have for the moon: it only shines to the extent that it reflects the light of the sun.

So, a strong relationship with the father, but not one founded on any sort of mutual affection or shared time together. So what else is there? To know this you must understand that there is a certain, special loyalty a narcissist demands as the head of a family. My own grandfather was known for owning a whistle, and when he whistled he expected his children would immediately appear at his side (and they did, dropping whatever they were doing). This sort of one-sided, "I will periodically take a deep interest in your affairs, but otherwise ignore you; but you must always be available when I want or need your attention" is essential to how they demand their household be run. But the relationship of the narcissist with the narcissist of the next generation (my father was also the only one of his father's kids to become a true narcissist, just as Donald is the only real narcissist of his bunch) is particularly special. It's never marked by actual affection (and I don't think they are really capable of love), but it is marked by absolute devotion of the younger to the older; and later, when the younger one becomes an adult, to the mere idea of the elder, rather than the elder in practice (since, obviously, two mature narcissists can never truly get along).
At Fred Trump’s wake, at the Frank E. Campbell funeral home, his son stepped forward to address the political, real estate and society power brokers in the crowd. One attendee recalled Mr. Trump’s unorthodox ode to his father, which Mr. Trump confirmed.

“My father taught me everything I know. And he would understand what I’m about to say,” Mr. Trump announced to the room. “I’m developing a great building on Riverside Boulevard called Trump Place. It’s a wonderful project.”

The elder narcissist often does things that are "harsh" when their children are loyal, and "abusive" when not. The elder narcissist (and later, the younger) often exhibits a tendency to use their extended family, and eventually become isolated:
[Fred Trump] treated his extended family like business partners. On Sunday mornings, he would drop all of his children off at the house of his sister, Elizabeth, and ask his brother-in-law, who worked six days a week, to check his books. To avoid Fred, the family started attending an earlier church service, said John Walter, his sister’s son, who eventually did his uncle’s books.

Fred brought that hard-charging approach home. While his oldest son, Freddy, crumbled under the pressure, Donald blossomed under it.
And incidentally, my father is also not the eldest son.

So there's a lot there. But what does it add up to? What goes on in Trump's head? For this, I reach to my mother's favorite quote about my father:
There is no there, there.
I could write for pages about both my father and Trump, but this sums up their actual personalites better than anything I could say.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: February 26, 2017, 08:27:49 am »

Slain SEAL’s dad wants answers: ‘Don’t hide behind my son’s death’

EDIT: My nomination to replace Trump's speech at the correspondents dinner; this memorial to the recently killed Kurdish war correspondent, Shifa Gardi. Make the dinner a recognition of the dangers and importance of good journalism rather than a chummy roast. The latter might be fun, but doesn't seem appropriate right now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:36:40 am by palsch »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: February 26, 2017, 10:46:22 am »

God coworkers.  I know why you aren't supposed to bring up politics at work.  But it's hard when my immediate manager is pro trump and happily announces all the 'good' things he's doing.  A few of my coworkers are also pro trump but not as strongly as he is.

Got into a minor debate over the whole news media = enemy of America thing.  Sure most have bias, and some will report on things that cannot be fully confirmed, and one thing I agree about is that anonymous sources ARE bullshit(unless some evidence can be given to prove that they are reliable, but that removes anonymity).   

But these stories don't just crop up out of nowhere from a vacuum.  And saying that the whole thing is invalid and didn't happen at all just because of an article's spin or an exaggeration is absurd.  Yet it seems at least 3 Americans in the state of Florida believe exactly that.  And it's not like they are rich-y rich typical republicans either.  We work in crap retail.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: February 26, 2017, 10:51:11 am »

Trump's divine corruption has poisoned the masses already, it seems. You should take care not to catch it from them.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: February 26, 2017, 10:54:15 am »

Trump's divine corruption has poisoned the masses already, it seems. You should take care not to catch it from them.

I think they were poisoned already, the whole thing didn't start with Trump, it's been festering for years. Trump is just a byproduct of the whole thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: February 26, 2017, 11:14:54 am »

So I am ignorant

The whole "Must show Tax Receipts" law sounds more like a Anti-Trump law... I know he would fail such a test... but what is it for in GENERAL?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: February 26, 2017, 11:29:09 am »

Business wise in general, actually. Not just tax wise. It's important because it lets folks check and see if there's business connections or activities that are significant risks of one sort or another.*

Like, you maybe don't want to elect someone to a position dealing substantially with addressing ethnic tensions when they're partnered significantly with businesses ran by white supremacists. Probably don't want a national advocate of one sort or another who has major financial entanglements with foreign powers/companies. Might be leery about electing a judge who's been sinking millions into fending off lawsuits or criminal charges. Stuff like that.

In trump's case, it would have also settled the question of whether or not (/how much) he was lying out his ass about yet another thing when he talked about being a successful businessman.

E: To clarify a bit, tax returns involve a lot of stuff, particularly for anyone with notable assets or a significant income, and what you're paying taxes (or receiving credits/not paying taxes) on gives a pretty sizable amount of information regarding your financial situation and business/income practices. Just about anyone you receive money from or give money to would be noted. So would most non-monetary transactions -- you don't get away from taxation just because you're trading in non-monetary goods, unless you're doing something that's about to get the IRS rather pissed off at you or you're very small time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:35:53 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: February 26, 2017, 01:53:57 pm »

Chicago PD to Trump: We asked for help and there was no reply.
“Can you believe what’s happening in Chicago?” Trump said in his speech Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference. He also referred to the seven people fatally shot in the city on a single day this week, something he also did on Twitter the night before: “What is going on there – totally out of control. Chicago needs help!”

Chicago’s top police officer responded Friday afternoon with a sharp message: We’ve already asked for your help, and we haven’t heard back.

“We’ve made requests to the White House and the Justice Department for them to support our work – from increasing federal gun prosecution to more FBI, DEA and ATF agents to more funding for mentoring, job training and more,” Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said in a statement. “The mayor made the request in person as recently as last week and we are hopeful the administration will finally respond.”
Odd that...

A leak about Spicer cracking down on leaks. This is among his own staff, not Obama holdovers.

US nearly deports a French historian who is an expert on the Vichy regime and Holocaust.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: February 26, 2017, 02:27:28 pm »

A leak about Spicer cracking down on leaks. This is among his own staff, not Obama holdovers.

Saw that earlier this morning, Spicer must be facepalming himself and wondering how the heck that happened after he told his staff to cut it out.

US nearly deports a French historian who is an expert on the Vichy regime and Holocaust.

The Trump admin just keeps embarassing itself. Pretty sure Egypt isn't on the list either and his name is clearly French, not Arabic. Only a matter of time before someone really influential (and powerful) gets caught up in it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: February 26, 2017, 02:45:57 pm »

What's next? Detaining US military wounded returning from missions in Iraq, because they have been to Iraq?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: February 26, 2017, 02:50:34 pm »

Don't forget WaPo is paywalled now. Cite the relevant text of the article so everyone can read it without using up their free views.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: February 26, 2017, 02:51:54 pm »

What's next? Detaining US military wounded returning from missions in Iraq, because they have been to Iraq?
Hey, trump did spend a chunk of his campaign shitting on POWs. His directions including harassing our vets isn't as unlikely a thing as it would usually be.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: February 26, 2017, 03:04:56 pm »

Don't forget WaPo is paywalled now. Cite the relevant text of the article so everyone can read it without using up their free views.

Try opening it in a private window, works for me. That's with FireFox.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 3569