Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211520 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27075 on: January 07, 2019, 10:51:00 am »

I just pass my passwords through an irregular matrix. Coincidentally and totally unrelated, one could perceive the keyboard as a sort of physical matrix of characters. So all you would need is a "key equation" of key-movements and your password is effectively encrypted.

&4pq g84 488 t/3w 7e 586 32h2hf23 q92ii7gr /gw w2d7/478gq
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #27076 on: January 07, 2019, 10:52:13 am »

I use KeePass for managing my day-to-day passwords into a file I backup. Does a good enough job for good enough convenience with good enough security :)

...wait, fuck, did we just turn AmeriPol into the tech thread?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27077 on: January 07, 2019, 10:57:49 am »

My password is correcthorsebatterystaple because XKCD made a compelling argument that it's the best most secure password
What do you mean "other passwords"?  This one's the best
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27078 on: January 07, 2019, 11:20:23 am »

My password is correcthorsebatterystaple
Look at me. Look at me.
I am Rolan7 now.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27079 on: January 07, 2019, 11:20:42 am »

That password is, incidentally, disallowed wholesale at my university specifically because of that XKCD comic, though we use it as an example as we allow passphrases like "Piranhasatemymom!" I just wish I could use spaces for complete sentences.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #27080 on: January 07, 2019, 11:22:44 am »

My passwords are usually nonsense sentences based on various media I consume, with a number attached to the end.

The issue is remembering which nonsense sentence is for which thing, most of the time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27081 on: January 07, 2019, 11:36:02 am »

I try to base my password on various decorations I own. Works surprisingly well when sites aren't being idiotic and demanding upper case, lowercase, number, symbol, more than 6 digits but less than 10. Because those I promptly forget.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27082 on: January 07, 2019, 11:36:50 am »

Look at me. Look at me.
I am Rolan7 now.
What??  How!?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27083 on: January 07, 2019, 11:44:43 am »

So my point about speed limits wasn't the issue about how some municipalities abuse them (because they can abuse any law), but about how the government itself selectively enforces them with "arbitrary" rules, and how the  public itself selectively ignores them.

Unfortunately, selective enforcement of laws is a necessary problem, because benign violations of laws happen all the time. People jaywalk across empty streets,. Kids open lemonade stands for an afternoon without proper licensing or health inspections. People inadvertently walk away with other people's pens after signing something. (Malicious violations of the spirit of the law while keeping to the letter are the inverse problem, but have a different solution.) These are all technically crimes, but I think we'd all agree it'd be a gross misuse of public resources to try to prosecute them all -- and yet they're all, arguably, malum in sec offenses. Human notions of justice are messy, situational and vague in a way laws can't be, and we've spent millennia trying to find ways to bridge that gap, from judges to juries to pardons to bills of attainder to entrapment laws to certain emergent properties of the jury system that probably can't legally be discussed in this context.

Either you selectively enforce the laws, bog down the legal system with countless frivolous lawsuits, or try to keep adjusting the laws to track with the consensus notions of justice in real time.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27084 on: January 07, 2019, 11:48:37 am »

I just take common passwords I have and rearrange the characters in them. I use mnemonic devices to remember the changing capitalization and stuff. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27085 on: January 07, 2019, 11:56:20 am »

The trouble is the arbitrary nature of selectively enforcing laws. This is what leads to abuse of police power - if you don't know what laws are de facto ignored in your locale, or if the powers simply decide to change which ones they enforce, it's problematic.

Yes, there is a spectrum of "what is the best use of enforcement resources" - but that's why it falls into politics.  I would argue that you did state the correct solution though: make sure the laws we have are the minimum set of necessary and sufficient.  Don't try to "keep adjusting laws to track with consensus notions of justice" - keep the law set to the minimum and you don't have to keep adjusting things.

For instance - why do we have business license laws in the first place? I'd say get rid of them.  Pay for the departments that are funded by licensing out of the general taxes. This will be a benefit to all - it will slightly lower barrier to entry to start a business.  If you're worried about compliance: just roll this into liability law. Just make it so that if a business is in violation of environmental or OSHA or labor laws apply civil and criminal liability.  Why have a need for both up-front licensing and liability law?  I guess maybe I could see a need for having a business registry, but not necessarily a license.

I agree the above is simplistic, but for the sake of discussion it should convey the idea of streamlining regulations.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27086 on: January 07, 2019, 11:58:30 am »

Look at me. Look at me.
I am Rolan7 now.
What??  How!?
I am a shadow, the true self!
*Explodes into a giant frog-ninja*
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27087 on: January 07, 2019, 12:00:35 pm »

...wait, fuck, did we just turn AmeriPol into the tech thread?

We went from speed limit enforcement wonkiness to security theater to actual security to passwords. Bay12 has easily definable trains of thought, they just tend to jump a little farther than normal trains.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27088 on: January 07, 2019, 12:05:03 pm »

My password isn't "correcthorsebatterystaple", because that'd be silly and might be guessable.

It's "correcthorsebatterystaple"+getRandomNumber().

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27089 on: January 07, 2019, 12:05:37 pm »

Bay12 has easily definable trains of thought, they just tend to jump a little farther than normal trains.

Multi-Track Drifting!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 ... 3566