Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1587 1588 [1589] 1590 1591 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4240777 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23820 on: October 02, 2018, 12:13:22 pm »

I find the trump administration transparently capricious, and would not want to accept any candidate endorsed by it.

That said, I find the methods used to challenge the appointment to be disgraceful as well.  This has quickly turned into a pissing contest into who can most obsequiously (in relation to appearing legitimate in face of circumstances) discredit the other, without actually admitting that this is a battle of ideology and not merit.

If it were not for the extremely high stakes, I would want nothing to do with the sordid affair at all. 

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23821 on: October 02, 2018, 12:51:12 pm »

This whole farrago has made me appreciate one thing about Trump: he's not yet hit on a scheme to pack the Court with more justices, and it's unlikely that McConnell or Ryan could come to an agreement with him to do so without him immediately reneging. Norms are so eroded now that Pence probably would.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23822 on: October 02, 2018, 01:00:42 pm »

They already want to pack the court, full of conservatives that is. There is already a 4/4 split between conservative and liberal Justices, and they'll have a 5/4 split with Kavanaugh (or anybody that Trump appoints for that matter), so, theres really no point to increasing the number of Justices for conservatives.

Democrats have already murmured about packing the court, so, it's just going to end up in a tit for tat.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23823 on: October 02, 2018, 01:07:54 pm »

There's no point from a policy perspective, but liberal tears are the currency of Trumpism and conservative judges are "wins" as he defines them and play well with Republican evangelicals. The Court could get bigger just like the wall gets higher.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23824 on: October 02, 2018, 01:49:32 pm »

I could make the thread. I'd call it "Dr. Descan's How-To Guide to Constructing Fascism: Ft. George_Chickens and Wierd!"

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23825 on: October 02, 2018, 02:54:49 pm »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23826 on: October 02, 2018, 02:59:09 pm »

On the one hand, it’s been like that for heterosexual couples since ‘09 (I think)

On the other hand, same sex marriage is legal in, what, 10% of UN nations?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23827 on: October 02, 2018, 03:07:30 pm »

Quote from: That article
The heterosexual partners of foreign diplomats and U.N. employees are also not eligible for U.S. visas.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23828 on: October 02, 2018, 03:11:08 pm »

Unless they’re married, for both types of relationships.

Again, though, same sex marriage is not a particularly popular notion in the world, and even if they marry somewhere it is, there’s no guarantee their home country will react well to it.

There are also countries in the world you can be put to death for engaging in homosexual acts.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23829 on: October 02, 2018, 03:17:28 pm »

I feel like sleeping with a diplomat should not grant you visas for foreign nations they visit. Maybe I'm just a silly willy.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23830 on: October 02, 2018, 03:25:27 pm »

Really I don't think it should bother anyone if any two people want government acknowledgement of their devotion to each other. Oh no, gay people want tax benefits and visiting rights and proper divorces!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23831 on: October 02, 2018, 03:31:24 pm »

Yeah see if you are married, you still get that. They are saying that married folks get treated like married folks, while unmarried folks get treated the same way as if you ask for security clearance for your girlfriend/boyfriend anywhere else, and that seems logical to me.

Now if they start saying "homosexual married couples don't get visas" then I have a problem.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23832 on: October 02, 2018, 03:38:40 pm »

To clarify, the Trump Administration is ending a policy of treating unmarried gay couples the same way that married straight couples are treated for the purpose of extending visas. Married gay couples still get the same visa access that married straight couples do. The policy was put in place because gay marriage is still only recognized by a minority of nations.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23833 on: October 02, 2018, 03:52:33 pm »

Awkwardly raises hand

Can they still get Mastercard?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23834 on: October 02, 2018, 04:00:25 pm »

To further clarify, couples who cannot get married because they would be persecuted and/or murdered in their home countries will now have their family units forcibly separated by the Trump Administration. I feel like we've heard this one before...
And of course this policy change serves absolutely no purpose beyond appeasing Trump's homophobic base.
Pages: 1 ... 1587 1588 [1589] 1590 1591 ... 3567